SSA Competition Rules Committee Meeting Minutes Now Available

Old Today, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

Default SSA Competition Rules Committee Meeting Minutes Now Available

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 8:25:58 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 10:39:44 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I hope the "pro-FAI guys" realize that the adoption of the FAI rules will necessitate the elimination of the "Airfield Bonus".

I'm looking forward to the old George Moffat philosophy where a death dive to a landout in the boonies to pick up a few points is preferable to a landing at a safe airfield below.

Oh, and no more "staring out the cylinder top" nonsense either.

Guy Byars

Or that safety finish. "Real" pilots get to the finish.
UH

Hank, when you say "safety finish" are you addressing use of a remote finish point in the event of bad weather or having a minimum finish altitude at a set distance from the field?

If it's the latter then that's not necessarily gone. I've flown an FAI contest where we did have a minimum finish height at the finish circle.

Best regards,
Craig
Old Today, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]

No doubt the SSA Rules Committee has their hands full regarding the integration of FAI practices into US contest rules and scoring. Very tough job; thanks Andy, Bif, Hank, David, Rich, and John for your service to the SSA. And thank you Guy Byars for all your pro bono software work to provide Winscore.

Understood, the Rules Committee is acting on feedback from the results of the recent SSA’s pilot opinion poll. However, the intent of integrating FAI practices is not clear. I would appreciate the Rules Committee clarifying whether its prime objective is to increase the participation of US competition – OR – is the prime objective to better prepare Team USA for future international competition? Certainly, you would agree these are two distinctly different issues requiring different solutions.