A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 7th 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Deming Gray
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am new to soaring and have acquired a glider with an LXNAV 8000 already installed. I noticed yesterday that the outside temperature (OAT) is incorrect by about 20 degrees F. I placed the probe in a bath of ice water and it read 50 degrees F and responded to temperature changes. I have not found anything in the manual nor on the LXNAV website. Does anyone know where I should go to look for information on this issue? I don't know if the instrument is adjustable, programable or if the probe needs replacment, etc. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,

Deming
Ads
  #2  
Old December 7th 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 38
Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

At 18:25 07 December 2018, Deming Gray wrote:
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I am new to soaring and have
acqui=
red a glider with an LXNAV 8000 already installed. I noticed yesterday
tha=
t the outside temperature (OAT) is incorrect by about 20 degrees F. I
plac=
ed the probe in a bath of ice water and it read 50 degrees F and

responded
=
to temperature changes. I have not found anything in the manual nor on
the=
LXNAV website. Does anyone know where I should go to look for
information=
on this issue? I don't know if the instrument is adjustable,

programable
=
or if the probe needs replacment, etc. Any ideas or thoughts would be
appr=
eciated. Thanks,

Deming


Email your problem to


  #3  
Old December 7th 18, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 254
Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04, section 5.1.11.1 it explains how to adjust the temperature offset.

Manuals can be downloaded from the LXNAV website he
https://gliding.lxnav.com/lxdownloads/manuals/

I'm also not sure that putting the probe in water was a good thing as I believe there is a small current that runs through the probe and getting it wet may not be good.



  #4  
Old December 7th 18, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,185
Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 2:13:56 PM UTC-8, Dave Springford wrote:
Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04, section 5.1.11.1 it explains how to adjust the temperature offset.

Manuals can be downloaded from the LXNAV website he
https://gliding.lxnav.com/lxdownloads/manuals/

I'm also not sure that putting the probe in water was a good thing as I believe there is a small current that runs through the probe and getting it wet may not be good.


Getting the probe wet is not a problem and calibrating for 0C in an ice bath is a great diagnostic idea.
  #5  
Old December 7th 18, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,335
Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

Putting the probe in ice water is the best way to get a true 32 deg F
reading.* It won't hurt the probe.

On 12/7/2018 3:13 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04, section 5.1.11.1 it explains how to adjust the temperature offset.

Manuals can be downloaded from the LXNAV website he
https://gliding.lxnav.com/lxdownloads/manuals/

I'm also not sure that putting the probe in water was a good thing as I believe there is a small current that runs through the probe and getting it wet may not be good.




--
Dan, 5J
  #6  
Old December 8th 18, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 418
Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 4:57:20 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Putting the probe in ice water is the best way to get a true 32 deg F
reading.* It won't hurt the probe.

On 12/7/2018 3:13 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04, section 5.1.11.1 it explains how to adjust the temperature offset.

Manuals can be downloaded from the LXNAV website he
https://gliding.lxnav.com/lxdownloads/manuals/

I'm also not sure that putting the probe in water was a good thing as I believe there is a small current that runs through the probe and getting it wet may not be good.




--
Dan, 5J


Perfect, Dan! That's how you calibrate a temp probe. If we ditched the lousy Fahrenheit scale for Centigrade this would be known more widely. Melting ice and boiling water are the Standards (at sea level) to establish 0 deg C and 100 deg C.
Congrats, you made an important step to seeing the superiority of the metric system. Now let's talk about how a 10x10x10 cm volume of water makes 1 liter and also weighs 1kg. It could all be so easy...
Herb, J7
  #7  
Old December 8th 18, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,335
Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

Sorry Herb, but that was Darryl who used the 0 deg C for the ice bath.*
I was just musing the other day about why, when listening to our AWOS
recordings they use inches of mercury for the altimeter setting, feet
for cloud layers, knots for winds, and, phhhht... Celsius for the
temperature.

Why screw up a perfectly good recording with that metric crap?* My pink
little body is comfortable at 72 deg F.* I just don't comprehend
22.22222 deg C, 295.3722 deg Kelvin, or 531.67 deg Rankin.* Real men
don't need 10, 10, 10 to make their calculations easy.* We still can,
but we just don't want to.* Can't we all just live together in peace?*
Kum bi ya... :-D

On 12/8/2018 7:10 AM, wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 4:57:20 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Putting the probe in ice water is the best way to get a true 32 deg F
reading.* It won't hurt the probe.

On 12/7/2018 3:13 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04, section 5.1.11.1 it explains how to adjust the temperature offset.

Manuals can be downloaded from the LXNAV website he
https://gliding.lxnav.com/lxdownloads/manuals/

I'm also not sure that putting the probe in water was a good thing as I believe there is a small current that runs through the probe and getting it wet may not be good.



--
Dan, 5J

Perfect, Dan! That's how you calibrate a temp probe. If we ditched the lousy Fahrenheit scale for Centigrade this would be known more widely. Melting ice and boiling water are the Standards (at sea level) to establish 0 deg C and 100 deg C.
Congrats, you made an important step to seeing the superiority of the metric system. Now let's talk about how a 10x10x10 cm volume of water makes 1 liter and also weighs 1kg. It could all be so easy...
Herb, J7


--
Dan, 5J
  #8  
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 418
Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 10:45:21 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Sorry Herb, but that was Darryl who used the 0 deg C for the ice bath.*
I was just musing the other day about why, when listening to our AWOS
recordings they use inches of mercury for the altimeter setting, feet
for cloud layers, knots for winds, and, phhhht... Celsius for the
temperature.

Why screw up a perfectly good recording with that metric crap?* My pink
little body is comfortable at 72 deg F.* I just don't comprehend
22.22222 deg C, 295.3722 deg Kelvin, or 531.67 deg Rankin.* Real men
don't need 10, 10, 10 to make their calculations easy.* We still can,
but we just don't want to.* Can't we all just live together in peace?*
Kum bi ya... :-D

On 12/8/2018 7:10 AM, wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 4:57:20 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Putting the probe in ice water is the best way to get a true 32 deg F
reading.* It won't hurt the probe.

On 12/7/2018 3:13 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04, section 5.1.11.1 it explains how to adjust the temperature offset.

Manuals can be downloaded from the LXNAV website he
https://gliding.lxnav.com/lxdownloads/manuals/

I'm also not sure that putting the probe in water was a good thing as I believe there is a small current that runs through the probe and getting it wet may not be good.



--
Dan, 5J

Perfect, Dan! That's how you calibrate a temp probe. If we ditched the lousy Fahrenheit scale for Centigrade this would be known more widely. Melting ice and boiling water are the Standards (at sea level) to establish 0 deg C and 100 deg C.
Congrats, you made an important step to seeing the superiority of the metric system. Now let's talk about how a 10x10x10 cm volume of water makes 1 liter and also weighs 1kg. It could all be so easy...
Herb, J7


--
Dan, 5J


Dan, background and personal history matter. If you had spent the first 35 years of your life around a highly rational (metric) system of measures - which the French came up with, hail to them - you'd feel different about the helter-skelter BS system we are using. Btw, if you work in most any industry these days in the US, you're on metric. Of course, the sciences have been forever.
Has nothing to do with peaceful co-existence, all with sanity and rationality.
Herb, J7
  #9  
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 634
Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 11:18:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 10:45:21 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Sorry Herb, but that was Darryl who used the 0 deg C for the ice bath.*
I was just musing the other day about why, when listening to our AWOS
recordings they use inches of mercury for the altimeter setting, feet
for cloud layers, knots for winds, and, phhhht... Celsius for the
temperature.

Why screw up a perfectly good recording with that metric crap?* My pink
little body is comfortable at 72 deg F.* I just don't comprehend
22.22222 deg C, 295.3722 deg Kelvin, or 531.67 deg Rankin.* Real men
don't need 10, 10, 10 to make their calculations easy.* We still can,
but we just don't want to.* Can't we all just live together in peace?*
Kum bi ya... :-D

On 12/8/2018 7:10 AM, wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 4:57:20 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Putting the probe in ice water is the best way to get a true 32 deg F
reading.* It won't hurt the probe.

On 12/7/2018 3:13 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04, section 5.1.11.1 it explains how to adjust the temperature offset.

Manuals can be downloaded from the LXNAV website he
https://gliding.lxnav.com/lxdownloads/manuals/

I'm also not sure that putting the probe in water was a good thing as I believe there is a small current that runs through the probe and getting it wet may not be good.



--
Dan, 5J
Perfect, Dan! That's how you calibrate a temp probe. If we ditched the lousy Fahrenheit scale for Centigrade this would be known more widely. Melting ice and boiling water are the Standards (at sea level) to establish 0 deg C and 100 deg C.
Congrats, you made an important step to seeing the superiority of the metric system. Now let's talk about how a 10x10x10 cm volume of water makes 1 liter and also weighs 1kg. It could all be so easy...
Herb, J7


--
Dan, 5J


Dan, background and personal history matter. If you had spent the first 35 years of your life around a highly rational (metric) system of measures - which the French came up with, hail to them - you'd feel different about the helter-skelter BS system we are using. Btw, if you work in most any industry these days in the US, you're on metric. Of course, the sciences have been forever.
Has nothing to do with peaceful co-existence, all with sanity and rationality.
Herb, J7


Says the guy that thinks a turnip has a gender, but an unmarried woman does not :-).

best,
Evan / T8

  #10  
Old Today, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 138
Default LXNAV 8000 OAT Incorrect

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 10:43:19 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 11:18:11 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 10:45:21 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Sorry Herb, but that was Darryl who used the 0 deg C for the ice bath..*
I was just musing the other day about why, when listening to our AWOS
recordings they use inches of mercury for the altimeter setting, feet
for cloud layers, knots for winds, and, phhhht... Celsius for the
temperature.

Why screw up a perfectly good recording with that metric crap?* My pink
little body is comfortable at 72 deg F.* I just don't comprehend
22.22222 deg C, 295.3722 deg Kelvin, or 531.67 deg Rankin.* Real men
don't need 10, 10, 10 to make their calculations easy.* We still can,
but we just don't want to.* Can't we all just live together in peace?*
Kum bi ya... :-D

On 12/8/2018 7:10 AM, wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 4:57:20 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Putting the probe in ice water is the best way to get a true 32 deg F
reading.* It won't hurt the probe.

On 12/7/2018 3:13 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
Deming,

In the user manual for Ver 6.04, section 5.1.11.1 it explains how to adjust the temperature offset.

Manuals can be downloaded from the LXNAV website he
https://gliding.lxnav.com/lxdownloads/manuals/

I'm also not sure that putting the probe in water was a good thing as I believe there is a small current that runs through the probe and getting it wet may not be good.



--
Dan, 5J
Perfect, Dan! That's how you calibrate a temp probe. If we ditched the lousy Fahrenheit scale for Centigrade this would be known more widely. Melting ice and boiling water are the Standards (at sea level) to establish 0 deg C and 100 deg C.
Congrats, you made an important step to seeing the superiority of the metric system. Now let's talk about how a 10x10x10 cm volume of water makes 1 liter and also weighs 1kg. It could all be so easy...
Herb, J7

--
Dan, 5J


Dan, background and personal history matter. If you had spent the first 35 years of your life around a highly rational (metric) system of measures - which the French came up with, hail to them - you'd feel different about the helter-skelter BS system we are using. Btw, if you work in most any industry these days in the US, you're on metric. Of course, the sciences have been forever.
Has nothing to do with peaceful co-existence, all with sanity and rationality.
Herb, J7


Says the guy that thinks a turnip has a gender, but an unmarried woman does not :-).

best,
Evan / T8


Isn't it all arbitrary after all, while it may appear valid on the macro scale, get down to the physics and it's all relative! ;-)
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US 1986-08800 VC-25A as 82-8000.jpg Joseph Testagrose Aviation Photos 0 April 20th 15 12:46 PM
LX 8000 problem Philip van de Donk Soaring 0 February 24th 14 12:03 PM
Politically Incorrect, Historically Accurate Hymnals Bill Kambic Naval Aviation 0 November 10th 08 11:32 PM
Warning: GPS data incorrect Cheetah236 Instrument Flight Rules 17 September 23rd 05 07:50 AM
Incorrect Coastlines..Channel Islands....HELP !!!! Derek Simulators 0 March 24th 05 12:50 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.