"Whiskey" for compass?

Old December 14th 03, 04:55 PM
dale

Default "Whiskey" for compass?

Anybody got a replacement for the kerosene looking fluid in the whiskey
compass? It evaporates or leaks over the period of a year with no outside
evidence of a leak. The compass has new gaskets. Interested in something a
little thicker.

Old December 14th 03, 05:48 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:55:26 -0600, "dale" wrote:

Anybody got a replacement for the kerosene looking fluid in the whiskey
compass? It evaporates or leaks over the period of a year with no outside
evidence of a leak. The compass has new gaskets. Interested in something a
little thicker.

Johnsons Baby Oil
the caveat is that the correct refined fluid does not discolour with
age. many substitutes do.
Old December 14th 03, 08:04 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article , "dale" wrote:

Anybody got a replacement for the kerosene looking fluid in the whiskey
compass? It evaporates or leaks over the period of a year with no outside
evidence of a leak. The compass has new gaskets. Interested in something a
little thicker.

Great Atlantic Aerplane Co. carries a compass rebuild kit, which
includes gaskets, new compass card, compass fluid, for $14.95.

Try: www.great-atlantic.com

I think that you have a leaky gasket in your compass. In reality,
compass fluid is simply dry kerosene.

Old December 15th 03, 02:34 PM
Skyking

"dale" wrote in message ...
Anybody got a replacement for the kerosene looking fluid in the whiskey
compass? It evaporates or leaks over the period of a year with no outside
evidence of a leak. The compass has new gaskets. Interested in something a
little thicker.

Try this site. Aircraft Spruce. Technically, instruments can only be
repaired by approved repairmen.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/repairkit.php

Good luck,

Skyking
Old December 16th 03, 08:28 AM
Big John

Dale

What's wrong with whiskey? Remember in case of a crash you have a
'pick me up'.

With that serious comment, I used Kerosene when I rebuilt my compass.
Think and old (I think he worked on Jennies?) A&P told me to use?
Worked fine.

If level is going down YOU GOT A LEAK. Pull and check gasket faces for
any nicks, etc. Also make sure you got a new fresh gasket that will
seal tightly. Torque down evenly and until the gasket is compressed
and you can see where it is compressed evenly all around the joint
where the gasket is. Also check the glass.

My compass was an old one and used gaskets. Newer compasses 'may' use
'O' rings. If so, you might have a thinner ring in then required.
First thing is to find where the fluid is going of course or you can't
fix. That's repair 101.

I had enough Kerosene (it's cheap) to submerge the compass under the
surface to fill. I left a small bubble in it to take care of expansion
of course. I screwed the parts together while holding under the
surface.

To help check if it is leaking take some white 'cleanexs' and wipe
compass down very good and each time you go fly re wipe carefully to
see if there is any marking on 'cleanex'. Could work and could not but
cheap to try G

I'm assuming compass is in your bird and not a spare you can sit on
the bench and watch?

I go for the 'Whiskey' really. If you want it crystal clear use Vodka.
That's where the saying "I'll drink to that' comes from and there are
some of us Pilots on RAH who drink G. I always though that the
'Whiskey" was used as the alcohol wouldn't freeze in the old days and
compass would still work in the winter (and open cockpit)? Any
Comments on that bit of history? BOb, what did they use in the last
Jenney you flew?

Big John

Old December 16th 03, 03:55 PM
Cy Galley

You were doing fine until you said that vodka was o.k. Alcohol is never any
good as it doesn't lubricate. Clear lantern fluid works very well.

I have always been of the "NO bubble" group. Any air will expand and create
problems at higher, lower pressure altitudes. That is what does in the
diaphragm.
--
Cy Galley, TC - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair, Oshkosh

Editor, EAA Safety Programs
or

Always looking for articles for the Experimenter

Old December 16th 03, 05:08 PM

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:55:26 -0600, "dale" wrote:

:Anybody got a replacement for the kerosene looking fluid in the whiskey
:compass? It evaporates or leaks over the period of a year with no outside
:evidence of a leak. The compass has new gaskets. Interested in something a
:little thicker.
:

Try this link

http://tinyurl.com/zh7t
Old December 17th 03, 05:33 AM
Big John

Cy

From reading my posts you must know I pull the string on drinking many
times G Haven't tried Chucks Muzzle Loader yet though. However I
always heard they used Whiskey in the old old days to keep (compass)
from freezing ??? Do you know why/how they started calling it a
"Whiskey " Compass?

Believe someone told me to bubble and that's what I did? Worked for
over four years and I sold the bird.

I'd expect both systems to work and last a fair number of years and
then be rebuilt. Not expensive to do, just takes a little time and
effort.

Tnx for other side of the coin. Good to get several options (hanger
flying) out for those looking for what has been done.

Big John