UTICA TRSA shape

Old May 9th 04, 06:25 AM
Jeff Saylor

Default UTICA TRSA shape

The UTICA TRSA (western New York) is situated around both
towered Oneida County (KUCA) and non-towered Griffis Airpark
(KRME), formerly Griffis AFB. It is centered on KRME, so perhaps
that is where the radar antenna is.

The outer perimeter of the TRSA is a large circle, about 14-15 nm
radius, like most other TRSAs, but it has several extensions.
One extension (northwestt) is in the direction of the Griffis
runway. Another (southeast) is in the direction of an Oneida Co
runway. A third (northeast) points toward Griffis, but is 90
degrees from the runway there.

What is the purpose of this northeast extension? Was it for an
approach to a runway in the SAC days which no longer exists?

The extensions go out up to 25 nm. Presumably the radar coverage
is good out that far (from 5,000 to 10,000 feet MSL), so why not
have the outer TRSA ring have a 25 nm radius everywhere? Since
TRSA is optional to the VFR pilot, this wouldn't have any
limitations on VFR pilots.

Old May 9th 04, 01:27 PM
Peter R.

Jeff Saylor wrote:

What is the purpose of this northeast extension? Was it for an
approach to a runway in the SAC days which no longer exists?

Jeff, I fly through the TRSA fairly regularly and I always thought those
two extensions were remnants from the days when Griffiss was an active
B-52 airbase. You'll notice there is one to the southeast, too.

--
Peter

Old May 9th 04, 10:32 PM
Jeff Saylor

"Peter R." wrote:

Jeff Saylor wrote:

What is the purpose of this northeast extension? Was it for an
approach to a runway in the SAC days which no longer exists?

Jeff, I fly through the TRSA fairly regularly and I always thought those
two extensions were remnants from the days when Griffiss was an active
B-52 airbase. You'll notice there is one to the southeast, too.

Yes but as I mentioned earlier the southeast extension appears to point
toward a runway at Oneida County (KUCA). The northeast extension points
towards Griffiss but is about 90 degrees to the runway heading which is why
I found it curious.

And why bother with the extensions at all? Why not just have the entire
TRSA circle go out to the 25 nm or so at that altitude?

Old May 10th 04, 12:47 AM
Peter R.

Jeff Saylor wrote:

Yes but as I mentioned earlier the southeast extension appears to point
toward a runway at Oneida County (KUCA).

I think that is coincidental. To me the southeast extension appears to
be more aligned with the approach path to runway 15 at Griffiss.

The northeast extension points
towards Griffiss but is about 90 degrees to the runway heading which is why
I found it curious.

And why bother with the extensions at all? Why not just have the entire
TRSA circle go out to the 25 nm or so at that altitude?

I am just playing the speculation game here, but perhaps these
extensions are in line with the bombers' targeting routes to Russia and
East Europe, thereby providing radar coverage until the B-52s reached
center's airspace at 10,000?

A co-worker of mine is based at Oneida Cty, so I will ask him the next
time I see him. Also, if it is a particularly slow day when I pass
through Griffiss' airspace, I'll ask them, too.

--
Peter

Old May 10th 04, 05:54 AM
Jeff Saylor

"Peter R." wrote:

Jeff Saylor wrote:

Yes but as I mentioned earlier the southeast extension appears to point
toward a runway at Oneida County (KUCA).

I think that is coincidental. To me the southeast extension appears to
be more aligned with the approach path to runway 15 at Griffiss.

The northeast extension points
towards Griffiss but is about 90 degrees to the runway heading which is why
I found it curious.

And why bother with the extensions at all? Why not just have the entire
TRSA circle go out to the 25 nm or so at that altitude?

I am just playing the speculation game here, but perhaps these
extensions are in line with the bombers' targeting routes to Russia and
East Europe, thereby providing radar coverage until the B-52s reached
center's airspace at 10,000?

Possibily, but why wouldn't there also be radar coverage in all directions at
that altitude?

A co-worker of mine is based at Oneida Cty, so I will ask him the next
time I see him. Also, if it is a particularly slow day when I pass
through Griffiss' airspace, I'll ask them, too.

I'd be interested in hearing....