Nerd Challenge - Google TP map !

Old July 28th 05, 01:48 AM

Default Nerd Challenge - Google TP map !

Hey ! Who're you calling a nerd ?

Objective: URL that shows task area geo-image overlaid with
Turn and Landing points.

Google released its API for mapping. See
http://www.google.com/apis/maps/
With a few lines of clever Javascript (ECMAscript, OK, whatever),
you can overlay your own data on top of the google-provided imagery.
Pizza establishments, homes for sale, suspected mafia safe-houses, etc.

So here's the challenge: With a few clever lines, grab the task
area information and list off John Leibacher's world-wide turnpoint
exchange, then overlay it on the google image, for a printable
area layout. Suitable for programming Charlie's string-computer.
And putting in your cockpit. And amazing your nerd friends
(Hey ! Stop that !).

Caint do it myself 'cause I'm too freakin busy and trying to get
ready to head to Uvalde Friday AM (somebody has to lose and I'm
ready).

Are you going to do it, or are you a wimp ?

See ya, Dave "YO"

Old July 28th 05, 02:38 AM
john

Cool idea...

Any turnpoint formats already in XML? Makes me wonder why so much
existing software hasn't already switched to XML format for
turnpoints...much easier to parse. Instead there are 20 different
proprietary file formats.

Old July 28th 05, 02:40 AM
Paul M. Cordell

dave!

Will this be the next Hi-Res display feature on the SN-10C?
Old July 28th 05, 06:07 AM
Nick Gilbert

Now that is a great idea! How about we create a standard and start peddling
it? My GlidingComps.com website parses XML files to generate scoring
results.

Nick.

ups.com...

Old July 28th 05, 08:19 AM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article , Nick Gilbert
writes
Now that is a great idea! How about we create a standard and start peddling
it? My GlidingComps.com website parses XML files to generate scoring
results.

But the is already an IGC XML standard for Waypoints and there has been
for 5 years now.

However, to date no manufacturer uses it so John L does not include it.

Tim Newport-Peace.

Nick.

oups.com...

Old July 28th 05, 11:12 AM
Guy Byars

"Tim Newport-Peace" ] wrote in message

But the is already an IGC XML standard for Waypoints and there has been
for 5 years now.

Is an XSD Schema available for it? If so where?

Winscore can import/export all its scoring information in XML.

Old July 28th 05, 11:57 AM

Hi Tim - You may recall that I proposed creating an IGC XML format for
TPs a number of years ago. The IGC committee response was approximately
"This new-fangled XML stuff might not catch on and is kinda
complicated"... Remember ? What the IGC put forward for TP
representations, quite a bit later, is too many different possible
representations, none of which solved adequately the problems we see as
manufacturers. Result ? Nobody uses it....

John Leibacher is real busy at the moment ! I'm sure if someone comes
up with a WSDL to expose the list of areas, and another to grab the
requisite info, John or some volunteer could get this up on his site
using the PERL tools for SOAP. Dummy it up as proof of concept in any
case !

Ultimately this supports the vision of "Turn your glider on, and it
automatically fetches the requisite info for your flight: TPs, landing
sites, TFRs/airspace info, maybe initial weather.

Gotta get to work now !
And I still haven't got packed for Uvalde...
Best Regards, Dave "YO"

Old July 28th 05, 05:30 PM
Henryk Birecki

Tim Newport-Peace ] wrote:

To those who are interested in the IGC Waypoint format, the documents to
read are available at:

http://www.fai.org/gliding/gnss/wpformat.asp

Tim Newport-Peace

I just wonder if there is any software other than GPS_LOG WinCE that
actually supports this "standard"

Henryk Birecki