Warning: GPS data incorrect

Old September 7th 05, 09:06 PM
Cheetah236

Default Warning: GPS data incorrect

Thought I'd better share this as others might be flying approaches
using the newest Jepp database for the Northstar M3 Approach GPS.

I downloaded the newest Northern Hemisphere database using Skybound USB
just prior to going for an Instrument Proficiency Check. The examiner
had me fly the GPS-B approach into KMMV using BERNI as the IAF. I
selected and ACK'd the approach to fly direct BERNI and flew the
indicated heading. When the GPS said I'd arrived at BERNI, I turned to
enter the hold and the examiner asked me to look outside. I was right
over the airport! BERNI is five miles Southwest of the airport!

I checked BERNI as an intersection as opposed to its position in the
approach and it indicated at its correct distance and bearing. Flipped
back to the approach and confirmed that it repeated the behavior after
resetting the unit - it did. We then decided to fly the NBG(GPS) RWY22
approach using MINNE as the IAF. Went to dial it into the database and
it didn't exist. The only IAFs listed were AAA, ABBMY and ABB#2, none
of which exist.

I ended up flying the VOR for my non-precision approach and everything
else was anticlimactic. When we got back, I pulled out last month's
database card and put it in the GPS. Everything was fine on it.

I don't know how widespread the problem is, but I suspect that if two
out of two approaches I sampled were bad, it might be ubiquitous. If
so, someone could end up flying into a mountain five miles from the
runway they think they're about to touch down on.

I notified Jeppesen and they are aware of the problem. Apparently CMC
Electronics, who currently own the Northstar GPS software, are involved
in the issue and are currently researching it.

BE CAREFUL!

Old September 8th 05, 01:48 AM
Rip

I saw a similar issue last year with my approach certified Garmin.
According to the data card, one of our local airports was over 50 miles
from its actual location. Garmin blamed Jeppesen, and Jeppesen blamed
Garmin. Moral: verify your data. Computers (GPS) are as smart as the
data they are given.

Rip

Old September 9th 05, 01:43 AM
Stan Prevost

We ran into the same thing the other day with our M3. Exact same behavior,
but at KHSV and KMDQ. Then we redownloaded the database and programmed our
spare datacard, same behavior. Then we tried to restore the old database,
at least it would be good for VFR. But that cannot be done, Jeppesen says
it is obsolete and expired and they will not allow it to be reprogrammed.

oups.com...

Old September 9th 05, 02:05 AM
Doug

If you rely on GPS in IMC you need TWO GPS's (or backup your location
with VOR/DME). And it is best if they are of different manufacturers. A
handheld to backup the panel mount is sufficient.

Old September 9th 05, 05:46 PM
Marco Leon

Two different GPS's from two different manufacturers?? That would also mean
two different navdata subscriptions too. Your second suggestion of VOR/DME
backup is OK but on pure GPS approaches that wouldn't work. Probably the
most practical thing to do is your third recommendation to have a portable
GPS running to verify your position. In the original poster's case, he would
have noticed that he was approaching the airport immediately realizing that
something was wrong.

It's another reason to get the Garmin 396 or even the 296 with terrain.

Marco Leon

oups.com...

Old September 10th 05, 12:59 AM
Doug

Well a handheld IS a GPS. Two different GPS', like one panel mount and
a handheld.

Old September 10th 05, 05:17 AM
Stan Gosnell

"Doug" wrote in news:1126227944.916583.168690
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

If you rely on GPS in IMC you need TWO GPS's (or backup your location
with VOR/DME). And it is best if they are of different manufacturers. A
handheld to backup the panel mount is sufficient.

I don't agree. We regularly fly in IMC using one GPS, and it's approved
under Part 135. We do have 2 VORs installed, but they're worthless a
couple of hundred miles from the nearest transmitter. Before GPS, we flew
approaches using a single LORAN.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Old September 11th 05, 07:52 PM
Tim

Marco Leon wrote:

It's another reason to get the Garmin 396 or even the 296 with terrain.

For navigation and situational awarenes there is no difference between a
296 and 396.

If a person wants to keep the 296/396 database current they should buy
the annual subscriptions to both the Jeppesen and obstacle databases.

Perhaps this seems pricy to renters but it shouldn't be for an owner,
less he/she is underfunded. ;-)

Old September 11th 05, 07:55 PM
Tim

Stan Gosnell wrote:

"Doug" wrote in news:1126227944.916583.168690
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

If you rely on GPS in IMC you need TWO GPS's (or backup your location
with VOR/DME). And it is best if they are of different manufacturers. A
handheld to backup the panel mount is sufficient.

I don't agree. We regularly fly in IMC using one GPS, and it's approved
under Part 135. We do have 2 VORs installed, but they're worthless a
couple of hundred miles from the nearest transmitter. Before GPS, we flew
approaches using a single LORAN.

It's like vanilla and chocolate, a matter of personal preference and
comfort level.

In your situation you are a professional flying to familiar locations
again and again, so you have a lot of built-in situational awareness
that folks who go to unfamiliar places do not have.
Old September 12th 05, 09:03 PM

Cheetah236 wrote:

Thought I'd better share this as others might be flying approaches
using the newest Jepp database for the Northstar M3 Approach GPS.

Jeppesen just posted a bulletin on their web site about this issue.

Scary, isn't it.

Polars web page Paul Remde Soaring 0 August 6th 05 03:10 PM
JPI Data Format and Conversion Josh Products 4 June 13th 05 04:20 AM
[ICSEng'05] Final CFP - due date March 10, 2005 Utthaman Naval Aviation 0 March 5th 05 10:07 AM
Pirep: Garmin GPSMAP 296 versus 295. (very long) Jon Woellhaf Piloting 12 September 4th 04 11:55 PM