2002 B-40 Vario for sale.

Old October 30th 05, 06:02 AM

Default 2002 B-40 Vario for sale.

Price is USD$84,999.00. When you buy this vario from me, at the price
of $84,999.00 USD, you also get my ASW 27B, with alot of other stuff,
which you can see on Wings and Wheels, for one dollar more. This offer
expires at 11 pm EDT, Oct 29,2005. Oh, panel has 2 1/4 hole, which
vario use to be in. Now can be covered with duck tape. Helps keep
quacks out of cockpit. Also have duck and cat which can come with
package, duck is poor mans autopilot, but helps center thermals. Cat
helps duck fly right side up. Ok, its really 2 cats and one duck.
Please don't ask..please....Thermal tight, soar high, fly safe, # 711.

Old October 30th 05, 06:26 PM

I figured it was above your head, Eric. Its a small duck, Eric, and I
keep it inside of the instrument panel, that's why you need to put
duck tape over the hole...I said, ""Helps to keep Quack's out of the
cockpit. "" You again, Eric, have shown the world, once again, you can
not read." Try readin page 13 of the CAI 303 manual again, D4 Cruise
and climb performance. If your serious, and wish to improve your
performance, which I assume you are by your posts, then tell us after
you do your home work, how you determine when its time to leave the
thermal, this is in a contest setting, where minutes saved are points
earned. I will help your, Eric, here and tell you what I do, some of
the time. When climbing, the upper left hand corner of the 303 has a
display. When the read out on the 302 30 second averager drops below
the figure on the upper left hand corner of the 303, I generally leave.
By doing extra turns at the top, in weaker lift, does add minutes to
your time, and if you look at the score sheets, only minutes per day
keep most out of the top 10. The 302 does load with Turnpoint data,
and landing data, which the 302 does not display. The 303 does display
this information. If the Ipaq does stop working, then I have a backup,
in the 303, for final glide, course, wind, and a bunch of other neat
stuff. I, as others, have several systems. One is not better than the
other system, its the user who uses the systems, to help him save
minutes. A ASW 27b doesn't have a engine to motor home on, as you do,
Eric. Maybe you should practice without taking so much gas on your ASH
26E, because it appears to many of us, you carry alot of gas. A past
World Champion was talking with one of our finer young junior pilots,
he asked this young pilot "How many points do you start a contest
with?" The young pilot answered, and then the World Champ told him what
he started with. So, Eric, show the world, and please do tell us how
many points you start a contest with, say a 6 day regional, then I will
tell the World the rest of the story. So, remember the
questions.........!. How do you determine when its time to leave the
thermal, and 2. How many contest points do you start a 6 day regional
with. If you read carefully, I already gave the answers, Eric. Thermal
tight, Soar high, fly Safe. # 711.

Old October 30th 05, 07:46 PM
Eric Greenwell

wrote:
Try readin page 13 of the CAI 303 manual again, D4 Cruise
and climb performance. If your serious, and wish to improve your
performance, which I assume you are by your posts, then tell us after
you do your home work, how you determine when its time to leave the
thermal, this is in a contest setting, where minutes saved are points
earned.

I use the Reichmann criterion: am I high enough to have a good chance of
reaching lift that's better than what I have? The majority of the time,
that's when my climb drops off more than about 20% from the maximum
value seen on the 302's averager. It's more complex in a contest
setting, because I might be trying to follow someone or stay with a
gaggle, and that will take precedence over the climb rate.

I will help your, Eric, here and tell you what I do, some of
the time. When climbing, the upper left hand corner of the 303 has a
display. When the read out on the 302 30 second averager drops below
the figure on the upper left hand corner of the 303, I generally leave.
By doing extra turns at the top, in weaker lift, does add minutes to
your time, and if you look at the score sheets, only minutes per day
keep most out of the top 10. The 302 does load with Turnpoint data,
and landing data, which the 302 does not display. The 303 does display
this information. If the Ipaq does stop working, then I have a backup,
in the 303, for final glide, course, wind, and a bunch of other neat
stuff.

I think I got it: the primary purpose of the 303 is a backup for your
PDA; with a secondary purpose of showing you the average climb rate for
the _entire_ thermal (not just the 30 second average of the 302), to aid
in the stay/leave decision.

I, as others, have several systems. One is not better than the
other system, its the user who uses the systems, to help him save
minutes.

This is what prompts my questions, because it's not obvious how you and
others use multiple systems to their advantage. For example, I used to
use two varios because I liked the fast audio on one and steadier needle
on the other; but for some pilots with two varios, I know the second
vario was strictly for backup, others had a very sensitive one they used
in weak lift, and so on.

A ASW 27b doesn't have a engine to motor home on, as you do,
Eric. Maybe you should practice without taking so much gas on your ASH
26E, because it appears to many of us, you carry alot of gas.

I practiced for 3000 hours without any gas, and I figured I'd probably
reached a plateau in my learning curve! The engine lets me try soaring
situations I wouldn't attempt in an unpowered glider because I'm not as
keen on retrieves as I used to be. This year was a spectacular year for
doing flights I never would do in a unpowered glider (they are on the
OLC), so I'm very unlikely to give up any of the 17 liters it holds. I
actually make more low saves and set up for more field landings now than
when I flew my ASW 20 C, because I'm willing to use less predictable
weather. I'm not sure I'm flying any smarter in contests, but it's hard
to tell, since I'm in a different class now (usually Open at our Regional).

A past
World Champion was talking with one of our finer young junior pilots,
he asked this young pilot "How many points do you start a contest
with?" The young pilot answered, and then the World Champ told him what
he started with. So, Eric, show the world, and please do tell us how
many points you start a contest with, say a 6 day regional, then I will
tell the World the rest of the story.

Based on many of my contest performances, I suspect I start out with
about -300 or so. My weakness is pilot selected tasks (I liked tasking
better in the old days, when the CD told us where to go).

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 30th 05, 08:19 PM

Nothing in my post suggest's whatever your thinkin, Stewart. Maybe its
the way you read and think. Your comments are allowed, but serve no
purpose. Folks that go to contest's don't walk around with rose
colored glasses on, with baskets full of flowers and dancing around to
poka's. Eric is looking for his answers, he wants to become better, if
he can improve, that's his choice. I have learned its much better to
take in as much information as I can, sort it out, keep the best, and
throw out the rest. When I do that, I see improvements, if no change,
then I make changes. If I don't understand what a person is saying, I
have learned first to ask his meaning, then accept what he says. If
Eric thinks I am somehow polking at him, let him tell me. He is a
grown, adult, I think he can do that. He choose to post my deleted ad.
Maybe you need to ask him why? Contest flying and winning is what
folks go to contest for. Recreational flying is what you like, then do
it. Saving minutes are points earned and not wasted. My glider, that I
race, is not a toy to me. Toy's are what children play with in their
sand box. Just as a person uses all his available tools and skills to
race in any sport, it is racing, a measurement of your skills, and what
other people do, in competition, not to see how much better they are
Steward, but how good they can become at their interests and in their
sport of their choosing. Those of us who choose to climb the ladder of
success in any endevor, do not give out information freely. I like
that, as I find its better to learn, to think, and rethink, to study,
to climb the ladder of success, than to leech and be non-competitive.
Eric wishes to learn, I am giving out some information. If he can use
it, then let him. I did offer him to call me, he hasn't. It takes
time in any sport to get better, as we all set our own standards, xx
took ten years to win. What we disccuss in this form is our choice,
and as Eric would say, KISS. I might add..OFF. # 711.

Old October 30th 05, 09:00 PM

The young contest pilot told the world champ, he started with Zero. The
world champ responded with 6,000 pts. That's is what they are giving me
at this contest. The young contest pilot was amazed. Then the world
champion said.."How many points are you going to waste with getting low
and stuck, and making unwise decesions?" The young pilot didn't know.
The world champ, he knew, and said " I will waste no points by getting
stuck, passing good lift, looking for better, only to circle in weaker
lift and climb slower. See, the World Champ, 3 times over, had a plan.
He managed his cockpit so he would do what he felt best. But he had a
plan. A game plan for that contest inwhich he felt would be the best
for him. Buy letting the others due what they did, he knew his
developed plan would be the best for him. Eric, the 303 is primary, the
PDA is second. Practicing is flying contests, that's the only way I can
measure my skill, on that day, against how other's have done, in the
same task area and air mass. Total hours mean nothing, as the time
spent on constructive learning, is better spent. Turning and burning,
without direction, is time loss that can never be made up. XX says it
best. Go to contests, try your best, and see where you can improve.
Just as you carry a engine, with alot of gas, the risk is to great to
carry no gas at all, for you. I have no problem with that. The OLC is a
place to posts your flight's. Its the "Hey look at me" syndrom. Is it
good for contest flying? I think time spent, flying declared tasks,
picking your start time, flying your task for the day and finishing,
will serve you better, so when you go to contests, you will do better.
I like the OLC to see how my buddy's have done for the day and where
they went, but a contest enviroment, really measures the skill level
you have attained. Ego's, which we all have, do get bruised, at a
contest. Its no hiding, as the coming out party begins on the first
contest day. By all your post's you have all the answer's, so you need
no help from me. Your where your at, and use your KISS. Enjoy, Thermal
tight, Soar high, Fly safe. # 711.

Old October 30th 05, 09:53 PM
Bob Korves

wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

On topic:
I have used a B-40 and it is a wonderful instrument. Battery back up is
great, too. Yadda, yadda.

Let's see now... How did this thread start? What was the original poster
trying to accomplish?
;-)
-Bob Korves

Old October 30th 05, 10:30 PM

Eric, does this mean your going to play in the sandbox with your toy
and a duck? Or your taking a bath and quacking up? Where did you come
up with this 20% drop, and hell, Eric, you can't remember what I have
said, or what the 303 manaul says, so how do your remember the high
averager reading? Boy, the mc setting comes from the next area your
flying into, but the average thermal climb doesn't come from the last
30 sec's on the vario. Reread the 303 manual again, Eric, reread the
Winpilot pro again, give this 3 days to think about, and lets see
where your at. Remember, you didn't even know what vario did what on
your first post........go back and read, then come on up to a higher
intuitive level. But KISS, Eric. Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe. #
711. P.S. extra homework Eric, on the page of the 303 we have been
discussing, in the center is a figure. You can use this figure to
compare with the upper figure in the left hand corner, to improve your
climb, along with th DDV readout, by varying your bank angle. Better
climb equals saved minutes, which are points earned. To help you out
with those --300 points when you start the contest.

Winter Vario [email protected] Soaring 2 August 17th 05 08:24 AM
Vario Comparison Update Paul Remde Soaring 4 January 9th 05 09:51 PM
FS: 2002 "Ghosts: A Time Remembered" (Aviation) Calendar J.R. Sinclair Military Aviation 0 June 14th 04 06:22 AM
Vario time constants Bill Daniels Soaring 3 January 20th 04 04:18 PM