shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer

Old October 31st 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
November Bravo

Default shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer

I am shipping my glider with trailer to New Zealand during the next
week. Any advice on how to pack the glider in the trailer other than
the usual road retrieval securing in the Cobra trailer? The shipping
is not in a container but a "roll on". Any other advice would be
appreciated. Thanks, John Iacobucci

Old October 31st 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glidingstuff

John

I have just picked up a brand new glider in a Cobra trailer which came
by Ro-Ro from Germany. It arrived in Auckland NZ last Thursday.
It had no extra packing or restraints. It does have the tail strap
option though. It travelled with no problems or damage. I would however
make sure there are no boxes or wing walkers etc leaning up against
anything you don't want scuffed or rubbed.

Cheers
Paul

Old October 31st 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

If the Cobra trailer is a used on, it would be good to line the wing support
blocks with clean "microfiber" cloths. It is good to do this in any case, as
any dirt or grit on these blocks can wear into the leading edge of the wing.
As a precaution, you might also want to wrap one around the tail securing
flap - - the cushion on this strap supplied by Cobra tends to attract dirt
(I use a sheep skin should harness pad on my strap).

all the best,

bumper
oups.com...

Old October 31st 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jb92563

November Bravo wrote:
I am shipping my glider with trailer to New Zealand during the next
week. Any advice on how to pack the glider in the trailer other than
the usual road retrieval securing in the Cobra trailer? The shipping
is not in a container but a "roll on". Any other advice would be
appreciated. Thanks, John Iacobucci

One thing to note is that you should cushion and secure everything but
not so tight that it can not give a little under flexing.

Its been known to happen that securing the fuselage too firmly on a
trailer has caused dammage due to the trailer flexing, and stressing
the fuselage and breaking things on it.

Lots of cusioning and foam around the securing straps is ussually
adequate to prevent that, by allowing some play, when cinching things
down extra tight.

Just something to consider.

Ray

Old October 31st 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Same recommendations as the other writers. One note though - my
trailer arrived from Germany with some minor damage to the rear skid
plates. The long trailer may bottom out due to the fairly short ramps
used in loading/unloading the ships. Assuming you are taking
insurance, I'd be sure to do a careful inspection prior to leaving the
port. You need to document your claim immediately.

P3

Old November 1st 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graeme Cant

jb92563 wrote:
November Bravo wrote:
I am shipping my glider with trailer to New Zealand during the next
week. Any advice on how to pack the glider in the trailer other than
the usual road retrieval securing in the Cobra trailer? The shipping
is not in a container but a "roll on". Any other advice would be
appreciated. Thanks, John Iacobucci

One thing to note is that you should cushion and secure everything but
not so tight that it can not give a little under flexing.

We found the forward wing spigot in the fuselage slightly dented the top
surface of the wing adjacent to it in the trailer. Boats roll quite a
lot sometimes. I'd pad the wing quite carefully where it's adjacent to
the root fittings in the fuselage. That's about the nearest a delicate
surface gets to something hard.

After that experience with a club glider I used a sofa cushion each side
to keep the wings and fuselage separate when I shipped mine.

Hope this helps
GC

Old November 1st 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mine made it there just fine apparently: pay special attention to
lashing down loose items like tail dollies, wing wheels, and tool kits
- and of course anything inside the cockpit that could damage the
canopy. I taped over the access port in the front, and any gaps and
the back of the trailer. Pay attention to the deregistration paperwork
with the FAA, your purchaser will need it. Also, clean out the trailer
of any dirt, very carefully, and pull into a do-it-yourself car wash
when you get to the port of embarkation and give the wheels and trailer
a good clearning. The agriculture inspection folks down like to see
varmits coming in with the mud.

With the dollar in the toilet, anyone keeping of the flux of ships out
of the USA? When 2E went south a year a bit ago, I seem to recall that
7 or the 8 sales that I was aware of all went "overseas".

John Leibacher - ex-2E

glider trailer Q Ken Ward Soaring 10 August 28th 06 04:27 PM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM
Need (glider&) trailer transport - Sante Fe, NM > Santa Cruz, CA, late Aug Eric Soaring 1 August 8th 03 03:21 PM
Glider trailer towing Jeff Landfield Soaring 0 July 21st 03 04:25 AM