How to shorten a Tach drive cable?

Old August 30th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Bob Kuykendall

Default How to shorten a Tach drive cable?

Tell me you're kidding!

I think he's not. We have one in the SF Bay Area, CA, US:

Kris's Mobile Speedometer Service
Cupertino, CA 95014
http://www.speedometer.org

Searching BigYellow shows speedo repair shops in several US metro
areas.

Old August 30th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Dave Butler" wrote

Where are you in NC, Jim? Pretty sure Bradley's could handle it:

Bradley's Service (919) 834-5727 101 S Blount St Raleigh, NC

In or near Hickory.

I have no doubt that there are several service places that could handle it,
but a Spedo shop, doing only speedo's, was the way I took it. That I would
have to see. g
--
Jim in NC

Old August 30th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tell me you're kidding!

I think he's not. We have one in the SF Bay Area, CA, US:

Kris's Mobile Speedometer Service
Cupertino, CA 95014
http://www.speedometer.org

WoW! Who'd a thunk it! g
--
Jim in NC

Old August 30th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

"Dave Butler" wrote

Where are you in NC, Jim? Pretty sure Bradley's could handle it:

Bradley's Service (919) 834-5727 101 S Blount St Raleigh, NC

In or near Hickory.

I have no doubt that there are several service places that could handle it,
but a Spedo shop, doing only speedo's, was the way I took it. That I would
have to see. g

Cable are part of a speedometer shop's services. What do you think a car
owner does when the speedo cable packs it in?

Tach cables, speedo cables, etc. are all part of the service.
Old August 30th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote

Cable are part of a speedometer shop's services. What do you think a car
owner does when the speedo cable packs it in?

Tach cables, speedo cables, etc. are all part of the service.

I must not be doing a very good job of explaining what I meant. I'm
beginning to think that it was not worth it, but I'll try to get it right,
one more time.

Someone said a speedometer shop could handle it. On that point, I do not
argue, but my point was to say that I had never heard of a shop that
specialized in speedo's. (which by definition would include the cable, and
the gear that drives off of the transmission in many cars)

It has been pointed out that there are specialty shops that call themselves
a speedo shop, and I was surprised that anyone could make a business on such
a small subgroup of auto repairing. I stand corrected, but I have never
heard of such a thing where I have lived.

I do also agree that some of the better auto service shops could deal with
putting new ends on cables too, by the way.

Better? See what I mean, about it not being worth the time to explain
myself, though? g
--
Jim in NC

Old August 30th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Rich S.[_1_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

It has been pointed out that there are specialty shops that call
themselves a speedo shop, and I was surprised that anyone could make a
business on such a small subgroup of auto repairing. I stand corrected,
but I have never heard of such a thing where I have lived.

Speedo repair is/was a huge business. All taxicabs (at least they used to)
had to have their meters tied in with the speedo/odo and calibrated at
regular intervals. Many commercial vehicles have "Speed-o-graphs" or
"Tach-o-graphs" which record speed or rpm for monitoring by employers or
owners. Then there is the occasional aircraft repair job. We had several
such shops in Seattle. One of their services (I remember well) was to
provide error reports for drivers who claimed in court that, "Honest
officer - my speedometer only showed 50! I couldn't have been doing 73. . ."

Rich S.

Old August 30th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_16_]

Another question, how important is the twist (lay) of the cable?
There are left lays and right lays depending which direction the cable
spins.
I talked to one shop and they didn't think that it really made a
difference since they solder/braze the end of the cable. They only had
left lays in stock.

Any opinions?

Dave
Old August 30th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Charles Vincent

Dave wrote:
Another question, how important is the twist (lay) of the cable?
There are left lays and right lays depending which direction the cable
spins.
I talked to one shop and they didn't think that it really made a
difference since they solder/braze the end of the cable. They only had
left lays in stock.

Any opinions?

Dave

From the "Flexible Shaft Handbook" which just happened to be sitting
on my desk today:

"It can be readily understood that a shaft will transmit its maximum
capacity when the rotation tends to tighten up the outer winding.
Consequently .... a left lay shaft should be used for driving in a
clockwise direction. For the same reason, a right lay shaft should be
used for counter-clockwise driving, always looking at the shaft from the
supply end

While flexible shafts deliver their maximum capacity when operating in
one direction only, they may be used with entirely satisfactory results
for driving in both directions.... either a left-lay or right-lay shaft
may be used, but it must be of a larger size...

A shaft working under somewhat less than full load capacity or under
conditions of small loads, will operate equally well in either direction."

The handbook has tables of shaft diameter and radii to compute maximum
torque, and a de-rating factor to apply when running against the lay. A
1/8 inch shaft with a 4" radius bend de-rated for reverse lay is still
good for better than .25 inch pounds of torque, with a twenty inch
radius, it is good for 1.6 inch pounds and with no curve, 2 inch pounds.
The book is very dated, but I expect that it is probably conservative.

From my personal perspective, I have found that keeping it well lubed
and maintaining large radii is pretty important when running against the
lay, as friction and wear is increased with low lube and tight radii,
and running against the lay can lead to a worn area sprouting wire hairs
that jam up good in the sleeve.

Charles
Old August 30th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
J. Severyn

"Bob Kuykendall" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tell me you're kidding!

I think he's not. We have one in the SF Bay Area, CA, US:

Kris's Mobile Speedometer Service
Cupertino, CA 95014
http://www.speedometer.org

Searching BigYellow shows speedo repair shops in several US metro
areas.

....and a second one in the SF Bay area CA, US
http://www.speedoelectric.com/
I've used them. Good service.
Regards,
John Severyn

Old August 31st 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

In rec.aviation.homebuilt J. Severyn wrote:

...and a second one in the SF Bay area CA, US

And a third one in the SF Bay area is Palo Alto Speedometer
(http://www.paspeedo.com/). Never used them for anything aircraft wise.
They specialize in repair and restoration of vintage equipment and they
did a great job with my '56 Mercedes gauges.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

secondary tach dave Owning 1 March 14th 07 08:34 PM
"Flaw Could Shorten Raptors' Lives" Mike Naval Aviation 0 May 12th 06 02:54 PM
Can anyone help, PLEASE - searching for zip-cord (aka: mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon cable) Striker Cat Home Built 6 October 15th 04 08:51 PM
Tachometer or Tach Cable Rich Owning 14 October 14th 04 02:54 AM
Can anyone help, PLEASE - searching for zip-cord (aka: mono-cord, speaker wire, shooting wire, dbl hookup, rainbow cable, ribbon cable) Striker Cat General Aviation 0 October 12th 04 05:11 PM