cockpit exit assist for older pilots

Old March 12th 18, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default cockpit exit assist for older pilots

figure out what movements and muscles you use to get in and out of the cockpit, and set something up at home.

Google "dips exercise". The gyms have stations for this (I would have said "bars" but I didn't want some of you guys to show up expecting beer with your exercise). But you can do it using a chair, a low wall, whatever. Primary muscle is the triceps, which you can exercise other ways, too.

Useful for pushing yourself straight up using your arms. There are lots of ways to exit a cockpit depending on canopy, instrument panel location, strength, circumstances, etc. Diving over the side is said to work (if you can avoid hitting the wing in a bailout) but I haven't tried that at the airport yet.

Chip Bearden

Old March 12th 18, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 6:47:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:
What devices and or methods are available to assist older pilots in exiting sailplane cockpits (on the ground)?

It might help if there was some place the feet could be braced, to allow the leg muscles to assist pushing back and up.
Old March 12th 18, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 12:37:26 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Better still - VIDEO.

On 3/12/2018 12:21 PM, Dan Marotta
wrote:

Or the Yankee Extraction
System.

Oh, no - that would be for bailout.

On 3/12/2018 6:00 AM,
wrote:

You didn't specify whether survival after egress was required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPolRUz3_qo

--

Dan, 5J

--

Dan, 5J

Dan - I like it....Here is another potential solution...It does require a very long glider...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsREqsNS_yI
Old March 13th 18, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey, guys this is a real problem for our senior Glider guides! I'm turning 84 this summer and it has been a real issue for a good 5 years now. In fact getting our in an airborne emergency was the reason I plunked down $5000 bucks and bought a ballistic recovery system for my Genesis-2. On the ground I push with my legs and shove with my arms till I'm far enough back to get one leg under me, then I am able to stand up in the seat.................and I'm not alone I watched a well known national champion struggle to exit his 29. Bob More (rip) had a pneumatic butt raiser that boosted him up about a foot. It had a compressed air bottle and a on/off valve that filled a bladder in the seat.
JJ
Old March 13th 18, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

RAS is having a sad day when I'm one of the people contributing something of actual value:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/eject.html

--Bob K.
Old March 13th 18, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

oh come on Bob, a Sawzall is a perfect solution here!
Old March 13th 18, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 7:37:56 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
oh come on Bob, a Sawzall is a perfect solution here!

....from the folks who brought you walk-in bathtubs?

Mike
Old March 13th 18, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 3:45:38 AM UTC, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 7:37:56 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
oh come on Bob, a Sawzall is a perfect solution here!

...from the folks who brought you walk-in bathtubs?

Mike

some German Akaflieg had worked some time ago on a Ballistic Parachute which pulls the Pilot out of the Cockpit. Sorry no more details that this.
Old March 13th 18, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

If you have time, pull the rudder pedals up close, though I don't know
if they or their mounts are strong enough for that.

Old March 14th 18, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Suter

Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Carex-Portabl...pSrc=srch&th=1