Glider rating to LSA rating

Old May 21st 16, 07:01 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Default Glider rating to LSA rating

What does one need to do if going from a glider rating with no self-launch endorsement, into the LSA rating, and not get trapped at 10,000MSL. I could easily get the self-launch endorsement if necessary.

I'm a bit confused and would love it if someone can map out a strategy to end up with the biggest bang for the buck..

Thank you in advance....
Old May 21st 16, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Get the self launch endorsement. As a sport pilot, and I assume you are talking about in a LSA SEL, you re limited to 10000 MLS or 2500 AGL, whichever is higher, period.
Old May 22nd 16, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

This link http://www.phoenixairusa.com/LSA_Glider.html does not answer your question as posed, but it illustrates by example that pilot ratings interact with the airworthiness certificate of the aircraft.

Old May 22nd 16, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

There seems to be something wrong in that Phoenix link.
He states it is a LSA Glider, and states an airplane rated pilot can fly it?
I don't think so. If the aircraft certificate says glider, then a glider rating is required.
I will agree that as light sport, only two CFIG can provide a glider rating at Light Sport level after appropriate training.
An airplane pilot to light sport glider can fly above 10,000MSL.
A pure Light Sport rated pilot with no higher rating in another aircraft is limited to 10,000MSL

Does that, make sense, probably not.

BillT
Old May 22nd 16, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

If you have a Private Glider or Commercial Glider rating and want to fly light sport glider, I don't see the problem. You are already qualified to fly a glider above 10,000 MSL.

If you want to fly a self launch or "motor glider", it's a glider, that may qualify for "Light Sport" because it is speed limited. Get the self launch endorsement and go fly.
You do not need a "light sport" rating.

If it's certified as an "light sport airplane", then you need a light sport airplane rating, 8710-11 completed with two qualified instructors after training.

Is the mud getting thinner now?

BillT
Old May 23rd 16, 06:32 AM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Get the self launch endorsement. As a sport pilot, and I assume you are talking about in a LSA SEL, you re limited to 10000 MLS or 2500 AGL, whichever is higher, period.
Ok so,
1. With a self-launch endorsement and all my glider flight time CAN I legally fly LSA aircraft without getting the LSA licence. What about Canada. I need to get through Canada to get to Alaska...

2. If #1 is true, then can I fly any LSA aircraft above 10,000 with a SL glider rating only.

3. If I wish to get a LSA licence - for Canadian purposes say - and I use my SL glider rating, is it just a form to fill out to get that LSA licence, or do I need to do flight training with LSA instructors etc.

4. If #3 requires LSA flight training, is any SL glider/glider flight time worth anything.

When I ask these questions to some LSA flight schools I get conflicting and directly opposite responses all the way to : "gee I have no idea? "

Anyone out there that has actually gone from SL glider to flying LSA aircraft?

Thanks for your post.
Old May 23rd 16, 09:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Ok so,
1. With a self-launch endorsement and all my glider flight time CAN I
legally fly LSA aircraft without getting the LSA licence. What about
Canada. I need to get through Canada to get to Alaska...

2. If #1 is true, then can I fly any LSA aircraft above 10,000 with a
SL glider rating only.

3. If I wish to get a LSA licence - for Canadian purposes say - and I
use my SL glider rating, is it just a form to fill out to get that LSA
licence, or do I need to do flight training with LSA instructors etc.

4. If #3 requires LSA flight training, is any SL glider/glider flight
time worth anything.

Pops et al,

Your private pilot glider certificate includes the privileges of sport pilot. Your logbook includes the self launching endorsement (I presume).

Because you have the privileges of light sport, you can add on "ratings" for a large variety of other light sport categories (power, gyro, floats, etc..) by 1) "training to proficiency" with one CFI and being 2) "checked for proficiency" by another properly rated CFI. Send an 8710-11 to your friends at the FAA, and you are done. (Off topic, but good info - this alone does not constitute a flight review.)

If you do the above in a Light Sport Airplane, you can then fly that light sport airplane within all the limits 10,000/2,500', max airspeed, and so on..

All of your existing glider time "counts" although that's pretty meaningless in the sport add-on arena.

It's not hard to do, you just have to find a suitable LSA to fly.

Terry
Old May 23rd 16, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

--
POPS

There is no LSA category in Canada...

From COPA news release:
quote
U.S. registered Light Sport Aircraft permitted in Canada
By Patrick Gilligan

A recent exemption by Transport Canada (TC) makes it more affordable and less onerous for Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) from the United States to be flown into Canada.
TC’s new Standardized Validation form puts LSA on equal footing with U.S. amateur-built aircraft flying into Canada. U.S. LSA owners simply have to download the Standardized Validation form found at: http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/ma...validation.htm , and follow other entry requirements such as customs, and fly. The $100 fee has been eliminated.
TC still requires U.S. pilots flying LSA aircraft in Canadian airspace to hold at least a private pilot certificate and a current FAA medical certificate.
unquote

You can read the whole thing on the COPA website at https://www.copanational.org/CAWMay10-1En.cfm

Old May 23rd 16, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, May 23, 2016 at 4:39:16 AM UTC-4, Terry Pitts wrote:

Your private pilot glider certificate includes the privileges of sport pilot. Your logbook includes the self launching endorsement (I presume).

That I already have sport pilot privileges because I hold USA PPL-Glider certificate comes as a surprise.

The Portland ME FSDO told me I needed to obtain a student pilot certificate to solo a powered LSA, take the PPL-SEL written test and practical test with a DPE to obtain a LSA category rating.

People on RAS told me that I could not obtain a student pilot certificate because I already hold a PPL-Glider certificate and the FAA will not issue two certificates to the same person.

My written inquiry to the certification branch of the FAA in OK for clarification has gone unanswered for over a month.
Old May 23rd 16, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Asking for clarification is how we get the restrictive interpretations. Avoid doing so in the future if possible. All you need is a CFI and a SP legal airplane.

First glider flight toward rating add-on BrianM Soaring 0 June 7th 13 07:24 PM
Glider rating near Sacramento Robert M. Gary Piloting 19 March 8th 06 10:34 PM
Get the first ATP - Glider rating in the USA! Mark James Boyd Soaring 0 December 6th 04 08:06 PM
Glider Rating ... Soaring 6 February 18th 04 05:40 PM
rotorcraft commercial rating or better rating advice Rick Cook Rotorcraft 0 October 13th 03 04:49 PM