LC Bowman: An Open Letter to the New Generation of Military Officers Serving and Protecting Our Nation

Old September 25th 07, 06:06 AM posted to us.military.army,us.military,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
WaltBJ

Default LC Bowman: An Open Letter

On Sep 22, 11:43 am, "Billzz" wrote:
"La N" wrote in message

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
(I've got a VA evaluation pending right now for Agent Orange
determination of squamous cell carcinoma, primary tumor undetermined,
manifested in lymph nodes of the neck. Ten and a half hours of surgery
and 39 sessions of radiation in 2003--coming up on my five year
anniversary in January. And, I wasn't stationed in-country, merely
passed through Danang and Bien Hoa and Tan Son Nhut many times.)

Congrats on your five years, Ed!

As for me, I'm 7 years in remission of a rare bone marrow cancer that is
thought to be caused by, in part, exposure to benzene. Always good to
read stories of other "survivors".

- nilita

Good going. I'm out of prostate and bladder cancer. When I was diagnosed I
went into the Agent Orange Study. The VA gave me a physical and they send
updates quarterly. The presumptive correlation was made so they could get
vets into VA to do the study. But according to one of the latest updates,
it appears that there is no provable correlation. Heres what they said....

"At the end of the 20 years of follow-up, Ranch Hand pilots and ground crews
as a group exhibited no statistically significant increase in the risk of
cancer. Differences by military occupation were inconsistent. The Ranch Hand
enlisted ground crews, the subgroup with the highest dioxin levels and
presumably the greatest herbicide exposure, had a 14 percent decreased risk
of cancer. These results do not suggest that herbicides or dioxin exposure
are related to cancer in these veterans."

SNIP:
The above is all very well but one of my old flying comrades has just
died from advanced cancer. Charlie Hubbs was a Ranch Hand pilot. He
was one of the baseline study groups and then - started falling apart.
FWIW four of us from DaNang, all of the same period, all came down
with prostate cancer within three months of each other. Must have been
something about the water . . .After 7800 rads six years ago I'm still
around but life is not the same . . .
Walt BJ

Old September 25th 07, 06:33 AM posted to us.military.army,us.military,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Billzz

ps.com...

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
[...]

I know what you mean since I elected the Radical Prostatectomy. And I said
that the finding does not help anyone who has prostate cancer, only that
they can check Agent Orange off the list. I'm told that the VA will not
take anyone out of VA, because of this. I have two friends who were
ground-pounders, at the same time, and came down with prostate cancer, about
the same time. But then my brother, who was never in Vietnam (only US Army
in Hawaii) also came down with it, and a year earlier than myself. So the
key is to get a PSA test annually. It's more related to age than anything
else. I could go on, with other research, but the bottom line is get a PSA
test. Incidentally, life can be the same but you have to go back to a
urologist - and there are several ways. But the subject is not fit for
USENet discussion.

Old September 25th 07, 08:05 AM posted to us.military.army,us.military,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
redc1c4

Billzz wrote:

ps.com...

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
[...]

family history/genetics has a bit to play in this, similar to breast cancer.

redc1c4,
who takes the finger to get the PSA test: they realize you're serious. %-)
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide
Old September 25th 07, 01:41 PM posted to us.military.army,us.military,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:06:37 -0700, WaltBJ
wrote:

SNIP:
The above is all very well but one of my old flying comrades has just
died from advanced cancer. Charlie Hubbs was a Ranch Hand pilot. He
was one of the baseline study groups and then - started falling apart.
FWIW four of us from DaNang, all of the same period, all came down
with prostate cancer within three months of each other. Must have been
something about the water . . .After 7800 rads six years ago I'm still
around but life is not the same . . .
Walt BJ

Saw a great line regarding radiation therapy a while back--"it's the
gift that keeps on giving."

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Old September 25th 07, 02:38 PM posted to us.military.army,us.military,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Vince

wrote:

SNIP:
The above is all very well but one of my old flying comrades has just
died from advanced cancer. Charlie Hubbs was a Ranch Hand pilot. He
was one of the baseline study groups and then - started falling apart.
FWIW four of us from DaNang, all of the same period, all came down
with prostate cancer within three months of each other. Must have been
something about the water . . .After 7800 rads six years ago I'm still
around but life is not the same . . .
Walt BJ

Saw a great line regarding radiation therapy a while back--"it's the
gift that keeps on giving."

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com

I am trying to figure out if the VA is doing right by veterans in this
area. My wife is a VA physician and I teach agent orange in my class.
I just finished a stint at the National Cancer institute on cancer
screening research

Any comments welcome

Vince

Old September 25th 07, 02:46 PM posted to us.military.army,us.military,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
La N

"Vince" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

Well, somewhat interestingly I had a bit of a battle with a rare bone marrow
cancer - myelodysplastic syndrome (the disease that killed author/astronomer
Carl Sagan), and benzene (component of AO) has been implicated in this
disease. Of course, I've never been to Vietnam, but I used to use the
aerosol Raid way too much (I had somewhat of a bug/fly phobia).

- nilita

Old September 25th 07, 03:44 PM posted to us.military.army,us.military,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ed Rasimus[_1_]

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:38:51 -0400, Vince wrote:

Ed Rasimus wrote:

Saw a great line regarding radiation therapy a while back--"it's the
gift that keeps on giving."

I am trying to figure out if the VA is doing right by veterans in this
area. My wife is a VA physician and I teach agent orange in my class.
I just finished a stint at the National Cancer institute on cancer
screening research

Any comments welcome

Vince

Since you asked for comments and you have a VA connection:

I've never received a bit of care from a VA facility. As retired
military I've got TriCare and have found it an excellent health plan,
although not what I was promised when I started my career.

I was advised by a friend that I should get registered in the VA
health care system. I completed the paperwork, but was rejected for
registration. Get that...not rejected for services, but rejected for
simple listing as a qualified veteran!

The reason being that I refuse to complete the full financial
disclosure that they demand. My finances are, frankly, none of their
business.

The priority listing for service in the VA manual says that a retiree
with 10% or more service-connected disability is entitled to priority
three. Financial qualification is required for veterans, not full
career retirees, with no disability to qualify at priority eight.

Frankly, from what I've seen of VA facilities, clientele and staff (no
offense intended to your wife), I'm not sure I would risk VA services.
My surgery was handled at USAF Academy hospital and follow-up
radiation at Memorial Hospital Cancer Center in Colorado Springs.

Old September 25th 07, 03:56 PM posted to us.military.army,us.military,us.military.navy,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Vince

Ed Rasimus wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your reply
I wish you the best

interestingly, the portion of the VA I am personally interested in has
been adopted from the VA by the DOD

DOD to adopt VA medical imaging system BY Bob Brewin
Published on June 15, 2006

WASHINGTON, D.C. –- The Defense Department’s Military Health System
(MHS) has decided to adopt the Department of Veterans Affairs’ medical
imaging system for use in its electronic health care program, said Carl
Hendricks, MHS’ chief information officer, speaking at FCW Events’
Government Health IT conference. Hendricks said the decision represents
an increasing convergence of e-health systems operated by the two
departments, which run the largest health care systems in the country.
It made sense for MHS to adopt a “great VA imaging system,” he said.

Hendricks said MHS wants to use as much code as possible from the VA’s
imaging system, which meets DOD standards. DOD will also work with the
VA to improve the system, he added. Although most medical imaging
systems focus on picture archiving and communications systems designed
to digitize, store and manage X-ray images, Dr. Rob Kolodner, chief
health informatics officer at the Veterans Health Administration, said
the VA’s system does much more.

In addition to X-rays, the Veterans Health Information Systems and
Technology Architecture (VistA) Imaging system stores and manages images
such as retinal scans and exports them to a computerized patient record
system, Kolodner said.

VistA Imaging can also scan and store paper medical records, which
Hendricks said will help DOD import records from non-MHS clinicians who
treat military patients and their families outside DOD hospitals and
clinics.

The VA/DOD Clinical Data Repository/Health Data Repository (CHDR)
enables data exchanges between the departments’ health systems. VA
clinicians can easily tap into CHDR to access data from DOD facilities.

During a demonstration of CHDR at the conference, Kolodner showed how a
VA doctor could import tests performed on an evacuee from Iraq at the
Army’s Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany into the VistA
system, reducing the need for and cost of multiple tests.

The Department of Health and Human Services is pushing for nationwide,
interoperable e-health systems, but CHDR is ahead of efforts in the
civilian sector, Hendricks said. “No one else has done this [e-health
data exchange] with data that is computable,” he said.

http://govhealthit.com/article94918-06-15-06-Web

As to overall care you might like to read

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...1.longman.html

Again best wishes

Vince