What percentage of USA glider pilots compete?

Old April 4th 07, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What percentage of USA glider pilots compete?

On Mar 28, 3:35 pm, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
toad wrote:
On Mar 28, 2:13 pm, Marc Ramsey wrote:
The soaring safety foundation website claims 12,512 SSA members in
2005.

Which gives 4.7 % of SSA members competed in the last 3 years.

Now how many of those members were active ?

Got it. For reasons I cannot justify, I'd make the wild-ass assumption
that 30-40% of them are inactive.

Jeremy

My first flight in a sailplane was in 1970. The argument about
competition coverage was going on in the 70's and it will probably pop
up as long as we have a Soaring magazine. There's a few points i'd
like to make.

If you have ever taken a history course, you've learned a lot about
wars. They are the most historical events, even if they are not
indicative of most of our daily lives.
The same can be said for the coverage of sailplane competitions. They
are the most newsworthy events in the sailplane world. When I think
of flying sailplanes, I think of lazy summer afternoon flights and
that's probably how most of us experience soaring. That doesn't mean
I don't want to hear about competitions.

Only a small percentage of pilots compete. Only a small percentage of
pilots can afford to compete. Of the remaining percentage of
sailplane pilots, many would compete if they could afford to, in both
time and money.

The number of pilots who compete does not represent the interest in
sailplane competiton. There are many people who are great fans of
football, basketball, baseball, etc but who are not competitors or
even interested in being competitors in these sports.