What's going on at Perry, SC Region 5N # 711 reporting

Old April 18th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What's going on at Perry, SC Region 5N # 711 reporting

Today, Wednesday, April 18th, has been xcelled due to weather. We had
a pilots meeting this morning at 10:30 am, and the daily winners from
the 4 classes, from yesterdy, the first cntest day, told their
stories. Dave Martin, BV, who has been contest soaring since about
1977.....err......30 years, wins his first day. He is smiling from ear
to ear. He found wave and used it to the first turn, which really
increased his first leg speed, by about 20 mph over the rest of the
pack. Congrats to BV. great flight and win. Last night we were treated
to chicken on a beer and a great airshow by Gary Ward.
DJ wins first day in Sports, LBL Standard, and W3 18 Meter. All
classes had TAT's with the 2nd and 3rd turn being th same. Going from
the 2nd to 3rd turn area was into the wind, lift was weak, 2-3 kts,
and max lift was 4000 agl. Except for the wave, which some got up to
8,000 msl.
First day, Monday, we had high winds and at 4,000 msl they were 340
degrees at 69 kts. Today, Wednesday, high, solid clouds, closed us
out. P3 is CD, SZ took over as weatherman, thanks SZ as QV went back
north to be with a friend. Also, KS went north, as did HW, But HW
cameback and gave us a report on our friend, Dale Kramer. We were told
he is now in Pittsburg and receiving the best in medical care. All of
our prayers wish for a speedy recovery, as Dale is very much a part of
our soaring family.

The next 3 days, we feel we will have the sky's to make a contest.

Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe # 711 reporting.

Old April 19th 07, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Tom (711),

How about giving the names of the pilots rather than only their
contest ID - makes it more interesting for folks on the sidelines of
racing reading your reports, or are these reports only for the
insiders - the racing elite who know the contest ID's? I hope not,
and I bet you're using the ID's for brevity, but it sure takes away
the personal touch.

Appreciate your reports - good to get the straight scoop fast.

Burt
Marfa

Old April 20th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

From Tom Kelly to Burt Compton: "Out of the many emails saying "thank
you" for my contest posts over the last 6 years, your the first
complaint. Your comments are not wanted, nor needed, and really serve
no purpose, as you are far from a expert. Go play instructor and and
don't tell me how to do my thing............meaning, your so far out
of touch on the contest scene, that's why you simply don't
understand."

Regards, # 711.

Folks, above is the reply Tom Kelly (711) sent to me today. As a life-
long promoter of soaring, I was just casually asking for him to open
up his contest reports by considering using names instead of only
contest ID's to identify the pilots, so those who are interested in
the racing scene might better understand, enjoy and someday
participate. It wasn't a complaint so much as a suggestion to help
the newbies figure it out.

Tom, you are inadvertently perpetuating the "elitist" perception of
the 300 SSA members (of some 12,000) who race sailplanes.

Come to Marfa and have a beer with me at sunset sometime and we'll
talk about how we can better promote soaring, by promoting racing, as
well as good training.

Enjoy your season - I'm off to Germany to fly for a few weeks.

Burt
Marfa

Old April 20th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo Charlie

"Burt Compton - Marfa" wrote in message
ups.com...
From Tom Kelly to Burt Compton: "Out of the many emails saying "thank

[...]

Burt did you honestly think that your remark "or are these reports only for
the
insiders - the racing elite who know the contest ID's?" was not
inflammatory? That could have been totally left out of and your message
would still have been understood.

In many years of flying and yes racing gliders not once have I ever heard a
racing pilot put down a non-racing pilot but it is a regular occurence for
some of the non-racers on this newsgroup to use the same type of
inflammatory rhetoric that you have. I've just chalked it up to a few
disgruntled individuals but it is YOU that are giving the non-racers a bad
name Burt. So if your goal is to truly promote soaring as you state then it
would be in your best interest to leave out the inflammatory statements.
Unless of course you only wish to promote your own non-racing type of
flying.....oops! Thats inflammatory! ;-)

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix

Old April 20th 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

Thanks for taking the time to give us the contest reports. Much
appreciated.

Yes, it would be nice to know the pilot's name beside the their
contest number.
I have been going to OLC and the SSA Contest Reports just to see who
they
are and what they are flying. Again, this to is just a request for
those of us who
are out of touch with the contest scene.

Your reply to Burt sure gives the "Contest Scene" a very negative
appeal and does
nothing to promote soaring or racing. I am just glad that not
everyone in the contest
scene is so disrespectful or has your same attitude.

Randy Teel RS

Tulsa, OK

Old April 20th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Pokorski

If you have a negative or "constructive" comment to make, do so IN
PRIVATE.

NEVER, EVER, post someone's private communication to a newsgroup
without their permission.

R.A.S. has been reasonably civil recently. Can we please try to keep
it that way?

Keep up the great reporting, 711!

Jay/R6

Old April 20th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

holy over reaction Batman. 711 - The contest reports are great, but
it sure would be nice to know who you are talking about. Otherwise it
just all seems very mythical.

Tony Condon
"ABC"

Old April 20th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Hawkins

Well, since the reports are getting on the ssa's webpage very quickly,
I for one, appreciate any report at all. I certainly don't have all
the CID's memorized (I of course know KS and XX) but I'm not overly
adverse to looking them up in the SSA database either if I'm really
interested. So while names might be nice, as Jay says, let's not
flame on someone for taking time to provide info that isn't otherwise
available. Heck, I'd enjoy reading similar write up's from our
soaring brethern in other countries as well. In those cases, it won't
matter whether there are names or CID's. I'm probably not going to
know them anyway. Doesn't make it any less interesting though.

Having said the above and to get BACK to the subject of this
thread....Anyone got any info on the flying at Perry from yesterday
(19th)?

Later!

-Mark

Old April 20th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat Russell

Children, let's play together.

We have enough threats from outside our sandbox. Let's not make it
worse by kicking sand in each other's faces.