SSA at EAA Oshkosh 7/28-8/04

Old July 16th 03, 04:23 AM
Burt Compton

Default SSA at EAA Oshkosh 7/28-8/04

SSA at EAA "AirVenture" Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

The Soaring Society of America will again present a significant presence July
28 through August 4 at the annual EAA "AirVenture " Convention at Oshkosh,
Wisconsin.

The SSA Booth in exhibit building "A", managed by Burt and Kathie Compton, is
the focus of an eight day promotional effort to share information on glider
ratings, where to fly gliders in the USA, and explain the challenge and fun of
soaring. SSA merchandise will be available and new SSA members will be
offered a discount on their first-year membership dues.

Burt has been invited to conduct two EAA "Forums" on soaring and motorgliders -
see the EAA website at www.eaa.org for schedules. Robert Mudd will be
bring the new APIS sailplane to display on the flight line.

So bring a friend to Oshkosh and sign them up as a new SSA member! The annual
"SSA at EAA" Dinner will be held at a new venue. Check in at the SSA Booth for
more information or call Burt's cellphone: 1-305-812-1814.

Burt Compton
SSA Publicity Committee Chairman
Marfa, west Texas

Old July 21st 03, 04:44 PM
nafod40

Burt Compton wrote:

SSA at EAA "AirVenture" Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

The Soaring Society of America will again present a significant
presence July 28 through August 4 at the annual EAA "AirVenture "
Convention at Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

I've always thought what would be a great soaring demo at Oshkosh would be
to have a gaggle of gliders towed up from a satellite airport before
Wittman opens, and have them get dropped off at umpty-squat feet near
Wittman, 15-20 minutes prior to the field opening (8:00 AM?). Then, before
all of the noise makers fire up, and while folks are waking up and eating
breakfast or whatnot in that quiet time before the day cranks up, the
gliders could fly a tail chase over the grounds. People could look up and
see them gracefully arcing around the skies.

Great way to start the day for the visitors, no?
Old July 22nd 03, 03:07 PM
nafod40

Robertmudd1u wrote:

nafod40 writes:

I've always thought what would be a great soaring demo at Oshkosh
would

be….

Gliders have always been a part of the Oshkosh experience. Seldom in
the forefront except during the airshow, they are represented by
gliders on display, the SSA booth and through two forums, the first on
gliding and the second on motorgliders.

I've always thought gliders have been a pitifully small part of Oshkosh.
At least once during the show, the sky should be filled with gliders. In
hindsight, a great part of the show would be to have a Wright glider
towed up, then descend while the absolute latest, greatest carbon bird
follows. I know it is hard to sequence in with the powered planes, but
what an opportunity the glider community is missing!

See you at OSH?

Swing by the booth for the Naval Air Systems Command tech transfer (I
forget which hanger). I'll be there defending my country. : )

Robert Mudd

Mike