A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The inadvisability of charging LiFePO4 batteries below 32F/0C (akabelow freezing)

Old March 19th 18, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default The inadvisability of charging LiFePO4 batteries below 32F/0C(aka below freezing)

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 1:20:31 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I contacted Bienno for their Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery Model BLF-1209WS and they said the following;

The operating temperature is from -20 deg C to 60 deg C (14 deg F to 140 F). Then charge between 0 deg C to 40 deg C (32 F to 104 F)

I left a message for Stark, and will forward the response here.
Old March 19th 18, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default The inadvisability of charging LiFePO4 batteries below 32F/0C(aka below freezing)

The manufacturers and distributors have to publish an official temperature range that will minimize their liability, and satisfy the needs of all, or most of, their customers. Funny how the round number "0C" was chosen. The electrolyte is not water and thus this temperature has no special significance. In reality both "charge" and "discharge" are fuzzy concepts. How much current? Sellers of LiFePO4 batteries used for starting engines of ATVs and such recommend not starting (a high-current discharge) below freezing. In this world where people want ever-faster charging (15 minutes, 30 seconds...), it's safer to say "charge above 0C". But various sources say that one can charge at freezing temperatures - slowly. For that matter, at temperatures only slightly above freezing, too, it's probably best to charge slowly. Personally, I charge all my batteries slowly if I can, at all temperatures. If I have all night, why force all the charge in 2 hours? Any charge rate that makes the batteries hot to touch is damaging in the long run.. I always use my BC700 charger for NiMH cells (awesome device!) at its lowest charge current (200 mA). I charge the batteries I use in my glider (SLA, 4AH to 12AH capacities) at half an amp or less.
Old March 19th 18, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 1:37:16 PM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 1:20:31 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I contacted Bienno for their Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery Model BLF-1209WS and they said the following;

The operating temperature is from -20 deg C to 60 deg C (14 deg F to 140 F). Then charge between 0 deg C to 40 deg C (32 F to 104 F)

I left a message for Stark, and will forward the response here.

"Hi Dan,

Both of the charts on the 12V9Ah battery page are based on 1C discharge rates.

With regards to charging below 0C, because the 12V9Ah battery is fairly small, it is always best to charge when it is above 0C. If you have been using the battery and it is just below 0C, your battery will still be above freezing internally and you will be able to charge with you 4A charger without damaging your battery.

Thank you,
StarkPower Customer Care"
Old March 21st 18, 05:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 8:29:30 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, what immediately comes to mind is the confusion between LiFePO4 and Lithium Ion. Those are different chemistries. I used LiFePO4 and charged them over the winter months in NM (lots of zub-freezing nights) using the chargers supplied with the batteries without any problems. After a year of removing the batteries and taking them home to charge, I had the confidence to leave them installed in the glider, in the hangar, with the chargers connected and plugged in. Again, no problems with LiFePO4. YMMV.

Dan

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 8:38:12 AM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
When researching a step up to LiFePO4, I stumbled across this tidbit at http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...w_temperatures

"Many battery users are unaware that consumer-grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0°C (32°F). Although the pack appears to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium can occur on the anode during a sub-freezing charge. This is permanent and cannot be removed with cycling. Batteries with lithium plating are more vulnerable to failure if exposed to vibration or other stressful conditions. Advanced chargers (Cadex) prevent charging Li-ion below freezing."

Advancements are being made to charge Li-ion below freezing temperatures. Charging is indeed possible with most lithium-ion cells but only at very low currents. According to research papers, the allowable charge rate at –30°C (–22°F) is 0.02C. At this low current, the charge time would stretch to over 50 hours, a time that is deemed impractical. There are, however, specialty Li-ions that can charge down to –10°C (14°F) at a reduced rate."

The also applies to lithium battery in your phone/computer. If you should happen to leave it in a cold place, you might want to warm it up before charging.

There's no confusion between LiFePO4 and Lithium Ion because LiFePO4 IS a Lithium Ion battery. Lithium Ion is a generic term that includes all lithium chemistries.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...of_lithium_ion
Old March 21st 18, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 9:51:23 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
Well, what immediately comes to mind is the confusion between LiFePO4 and Lithium Ion. Those are different chemistries. I used LiFePO4 and charged them over the winter months in NM (lots of zub-freezing nights) using the chargers supplied with the batteries without any problems. After a year of removing the batteries and taking them home to charge, I had the confidence to leave them installed in the glider, in the hangar, with the chargers connected and plugged in. Again, no problems with LiFePO4. YMMV.

Dan

When researching a step up to LiFePO4, I stumbled across this tidbit at http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...w_temperatures

"Many battery users are unaware that consumer-grade lithium-ion batteries cannot be charged below 0°C (32°F). Although the pack appears to be charging normally, plating of metallic lithium can occur on the anode during a sub-freezing charge. This is permanent and cannot be removed with cycling. Batteries with lithium plating are more vulnerable to failure if exposed to vibration or other stressful conditions. Advanced chargers (Cadex) prevent charging Li-ion below freezing."

Advancements are being made to charge Li-ion below freezing temperatures. Charging is indeed possible with most lithium-ion cells but only at very low currents. According to research papers, the allowable charge rate at –30°C (–22°F) is 0.02C. At this low current, the charge time would stretch to over 50 hours, a time that is deemed impractical. There are, however, specialty Li-ions that can charge down to –10°C (14°F) at a reduced rate."

The also applies to lithium battery in your phone/computer. If you should happen to leave it in a cold place, you might want to warm it up before charging.

There's no confusion between LiFePO4 and Lithium Ion because LiFePO4 IS a Lithium Ion battery. Lithium Ion is a generic term that includes all lithium chemistries.

There should not be, but unfortunately there is confusion, because of the loose use of the terminology. If it has lithium in it, it is a Lithium Ion battery, but beyond that there are big differences in chemistry and mechanical construction. The concern about sub zero charging has to do with plating on the anode, however each of these different battery chemistries use a different anode material. One might assume that with different anode material they would be more, or less, susceptible to the plating problem. I cannot find any scholarly paper that discusses LiFePo4 in particular, with respect to charging temps.
Old March 21st 18, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

.... And so is "gas".Â* Try putting jet fuel in your piston engine and see
what happens.Â* Or diesel in your car or vice versa.Â* I used to gas up
the jet and the King Air after a mission or flight, but I never used
avgas or mogas in any of them.

The Boeing 787 didn't use LiFePO4 batteries, either, if I"m not
mistaken.Â* Their "generic" lithium ion batteries had a tendency to burn
during ground charging.Â* Generic terms can get one killed in certain
circumstances.

On 3/20/2018 10:51 PM, 2G wrote:

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old March 21st 18, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

I would argue that.
If you stated "fuel", then your argument carries more weight.
I think most peeps, when they hear "gas" assume (yes, I know what that may also mean...) you mean gasoline/petrol.
When you say "fuel", yes, there can be a mix up.
Heck, coal is a fuel, don't think anyone is shoveling coal into an aircraft.....LOL.......

Yes, LiFe is a lot different than LiPo or LiOn.
LiFe is a lot closer in safety to LA than other Lithium chemistries.
Old March 21st 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 1:10:56 AM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:

If it has lithium in it, it is a Lithium Ion battery...

Given the different charging/discharging *requirements* associated with "LiIon" vs "LiPo" vs "LFP", that's a very dangerous statement.

T8
Old March 21st 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 7:30:38 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 1:10:56 AM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:

If it has lithium in it, it is a Lithium Ion battery...

Given the different charging/discharging *requirements* associated with "LiIon" vs "LiPo" vs "LFP", that's a very dangerous statement.

T8

The truth is never dangerous, but ignorance is. What people need to do is get used to saying LiPo or LiCo, or LiMn or LiFePo4 (LFP for short). The danger is in ignorance that these are different batteries. You don't charge NiCads the same as SLA the same as flooded LA do you? Yet they are all batteries. The details matter. Even in your post you imply that LiIon is different than LFP. An LFP is a LiIon (it uses a lithium compounded anode or cathode, and ions to transport current). There is a wide variety of lithium based batteries just as there is a wide variety of carbon, nickel, and lead batteries. Treat them the same at your own peril - please educate yourself.
Old March 21st 18, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

While I usually don't disagree with you, if you READ what Tango8 posted, he is saying the same thing as you.
"Lithium in the name does make it the same", as I read it.

Your thoughts?!

Yes, I am going from early (late '70's NiCads to more modern LiFe or LiOn/LiPo) rechargeables including LA of various flavors.

I have a bunch of cash tied up in chargers for various battery chemistries, mostly in RC use, but also for my main income.

Hey, hey find an issue with my read of Tango8's post, I am willing to learn, but I believe you read it wrong.