Parachute 20 year limit

Old December 11th 08, 07:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer!

Default Parachute 20 year limit

In message , Don Johnstone
writes
snip

To say that square chutes open quicker than round is total rubbish, watch
this

Snip

We had a talk from a local parachute instructor and were told that an
emergency chute is packed in a completely different way to a main jump
chute, so that it starts to fill as soon as it is out of the bag.

--
Surfer!
Email to: ramwater at uk2 dot net
Old December 11th 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

At 04:30 11 December 2008, Tuno wrote:
Nyal -- not quite. "High speed" refers to the maximum velocity when
opening for which the parachute was designed, not for how fast they
open (i.e., strength, not speed).

That's what I thought I said.

So what is it that these high-speed chutes do to prevent a hideous shock
to the jumper that the low speed chutes don't do?

There are high speed mains, high
speed reserves; high speed rounds, well, you get the picture. The
military T-10 is an example of a round, non-high-speed canopy.

Sport reserves are high-speed, but designed for fast opening at any
velocity, the anticipation being that a skydiver might have anything
between a terminal velocity and a low speed deployment, which may
happen after a canopy collision (or for canopy formation skydivers,
the dreaded wrap).

I don't know of any parachutes made today that are not "high speed"
rated. And the square ones, yes, they open FAST.

Old December 11th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Nyal, both high- and low-speed parachutes (talking emergency type
squares here) use the same kind of reefing system for deployment. It's
called a slider, a small rectangle of fabric with the chute's
suspensions lines going through a grommet in each corner. The slider
is pulled up and stowed at the top of the suspension lines when packed
(unless you're a BASE jumper). On deployment, it prevents the
parachute from opening instantly; the force of the chute opening
pushes the slider down to the riders (hence the term "slider").
Squares are so good at opening that emergency/reserve squares, which
are packed to open quickly, must have the slider.

2NO
Old December 12th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_3_]

At 02:52 11 December 2008, Tuno wrote:
(1) Because they are not nearly as stupid as most people think --
neither square nor round parachutes are perfect enough to gamble your
life on.

If this answer refers to BASE jumpers, my response is, Oh yes they are.

and while we are on the subject the only way I ever want to leave a
perfectly serviceable aircraft is when it is stationary on the ground and
if the door happens to be more than a couple of feet off the ground I will
wait until they bring steps.
I do not alight from moving omnibuses or boats not tied up to land or
another boat either.

Old December 12th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tech Support

2NO

I jumped about 10K and 150 mph in controlled flight over a snow storm
cloud bank (Greenland).

Upon return to home base I took a bottle of 'Hooch' down to the packer
of my chute, which is an old time custom, and while there I watched
them pack the same model chute I used and saw how they folded the
canopy and put in bag/sleve to assure good deployment.

Not sure what the USAF uses today but is pretty good. Am sure most
have seen the ejection of the Thunderbird pilot about 2 seconds before
the bird hit the ground and exploded and burned several years ago.

Bottom line. I had a safe chute deployment and landing with a round
chute in 1968.

Advice. Get a good chute and take care of it as your life may depend
on it.

Big John
Back to a lurker status.

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:07:10 -0800 (PST), Tuno
wrote:

Big John,

The long slim bag you're referring to is called a "sleeve". Iirc their
primary purpose was to prevent inversions, which have long plagued
round parachutes. (The military also uses nets around the skirts of
their parachutes to prevent this type of malfunction.)

I believe Dan Poynter's book has a better explanation.

2NO

Old December 12th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

I jumped about 10K and 150 mph in controlled flight over a snow storm
cloud bank (Greenland).

There's got to be a good story there, Big John..........tell us more!

I jumped a (round) chute sooooo close to impact that I could feel the
heat from the fireball as 8 million taxpayer dollers slammed into the
side of a hill a few miles north of Mt. Home, ID (June, 1967).
JJ

Old December 12th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Fred,

I am sure there are stories with all of the Black Ace's chute uses, and I
bet they all involved a "round" chutes.

Wayne
-----------------------
Harold Wayne Paul
http://www.soaridaho.com/Family_Pict...e/Cat_Club.jpg (round chute)

Old December 12th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred Blair

I used a round chute when I had to bail out of my Open Cirrus, it just
wasn't an $8 million dollar crash.
m...

"Fred Blair" wrote in message
There has to be a story there, also JJ .............tell us more.
FB

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message

I jumped about 10K and 150 mph in controlled flight over a snow storm
cloud bank (Greenland).

There's got to be a good story there, Big John..........tell us more!

I jumped a (round) chute sooooo close to impact that I could feel the
heat from the fireball as 8 million taxpayer dollers slammed into the
side of a hill a few miles north of Mt. Home, ID (June, 1967).
JJ

limit of trim = limit of travel? Mxsmanic Piloting 251 May 11th 08 07:58 PM
The Sky is Their Limit [email protected] Soaring 7 November 13th 06 02:44 AM
Pegasus life limit Mark628CA Soaring 2 March 30th 06 10:37 PM
Aft CG limit(s) Andy Durbin Soaring 13 November 26th 03 05:10 AM
Pushing the limit Dan Shackelford Military Aviation 20 September 14th 03 10:27 PM