Newsgroup Reader software

Old March 9th 16, 06:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob (not my real pseudonym)[_2_]

Default Newsgroup Reader software

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 18:46:13 +0000, Charles Lindbergh
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 11:06:46 -0500, wrote:

I know this is really off topic but I am wondering what software
people use for this newsgroup.

I use Forte Agent but really don't like the way it subjects of posts,
at least as it appears when it comes back into Agent.

1. If a message has an single attachment no text, Agent appends the
file name to the subject.

2. If there are more than one attachments, again with no text, it does
not append file names.

3. If there are more than one message with multiple attachments, with
no text, the first message comes up and the following messages are
threaded to it.

4. If there is text as well as one attachment, the file name is
appended to the subject and it comes up as two messages. (0/0)
contains the text and (*/7) e.g. contains the attachment.

5. If there is text plus multiple attachments, it works as per 4 but
without appending the file names to the subject,

Now I can see why Agent handles the subject name differently for
single and multiple attachmens. I guess I just have to be less lazy
and type something in. That would get rid of case 3.

I do wonder, though, why the separation of text and attachments in
cases 4 and 5 happens. Do any of you out there have a Newsgroup Reader
that displays the text and attachment as a single message?

Forte Agent is my NNTP reader of choice and it is ok for ad hoc
posting of one or two posts. However, for posting numerous files, I
prefer to use the free Camel System powerpost. The current versions
will only post using yenc encoding, but there is a difficult to find
older version which will post using uuencode. Many readers of this
forum insist on using older newsreaders which cannot decode yenc and
or mult-part yenc binaries.

All that said, Joseph Testagrose uses Forte Agent and he diligently
writes out the subject line for each binary.

I am using the current (paid) version 8 of Agent, and you can choose
not to use yEnc. Click on the 'properties' button, and you get the
attached dialog. Besides encoding, you also have control over how
images get sent. I always uncheck the two checked boxes to get text
and image(s) in one post.

I prefer to name my image files with pertinent information; better
chance it might survive for a while...

Bob ^,,^

Old March 9th 16, 01:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Charles Lindbergh

wrote:

[...]

Agent is great for ad hoc posting, but when you have to post 10, 20,
50 or 100 files, it makes sense to use descriptive file names and post
them using a dedicated posting program such as PowerPost. The File
name becomes the subject and you just walk away while the software
does the work.

Personally, I prefer yenc over base64 or any other encoding scheme.
Unfortunately, many of my fellow old geezers in this group are using
readers which cannot decode multi-part yenc or in some cases decode
yenc at all.
Old March 9th 16, 09:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 21:45:00 GMT, mick wrote:

On 08/03/2016 16:06:46, wrote:
[...]

MesNews
http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

Thanks, Mike. I have installed this and will give it a try for a
while. I like the way the text and an image attachment come up in the
same message, so that takes care of my Issue 4. above.

As you may have seen, I have also convinced myself to use PowerPost
for bulk submissions.

Frank.
Old March 9th 16, 10:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
mick

wrote:
[...]

If you are posting via MesNews you can add as many attachments as you
like in one post, but in my experience it is best to keep the overall
size of each post to a maximum of 2.5MB
Also if you are going to post just a photo (attachment) in a new post
without any text you need to place the cursor in the text pane and
press the space bar once to fool it, so it thinks there is text,
otherwise it will not send the post properly.

--
mick

IGC Reader for iPhone/iPad Jelle Vandebeeck[_2_] Soaring 13 October 25th 11 09:05 PM
RAS group reader Andy Smiel Soaring 15 November 20th 10 11:17 PM
News Reader Stretch Aviation Photos 2 March 10th 08 11:40 AM
easy to use news reader? Dave[_16_] Aviation Photos 10 August 18th 07 12:24 AM
looking for Reader's Digest article [email protected] Soaring 0 March 23rd 06 03:16 AM