A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Moswey lll

Old February 10th 19, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Alchin
external usenet poster

Default Moswey lll

Hi Guy's, I do not fly full size gliders but an avid R/C flyer/builder currently building the Moswey lll in 1/3 scale size and have a question that you may be able to answer.

My question concerns scale fidelity in so far as pictures of the full size in my opinion clearly show the tail flying surfaces as being stitched and pinked tape covered ?

I do believe some sailplanes I suspect aerobatic as is the Moswey used this now dying art method but I can not find any literature to support this conjecture added to which my fellow R/C scale nuts in the UK don't believe I am correct.

I also found a picture that looks as if there may also be stitching on the underside of the wing from the root rib out to the beginning of the ailerons.

Any information you may have preferably confirming my comments I would appreciate

FYI scale modeler's only simulate stitching on their models

Eagerly awaiting confirmation I can use for an ego trip!

David Alchin AKA Da Glider Guy
Old February 10th 19, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

Default Moswey lll

On Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 1:30:09 PM UTC-5, David Alchin wrote:
Hi Guy's, I do not fly full size gliders but an avid R/C flyer/builder currently building the Moswey lll in 1/3 scale size and have a question that you may be able to answer.

My question concerns scale fidelity in so far as pictures of the full size in my opinion clearly show the tail flying surfaces as being stitched and pinked tape covered ?

I do believe some sailplanes I suspect aerobatic as is the Moswey used this now dying art method but I can not find any literature to support this conjecture added to which my fellow R/C scale nuts in the UK don't believe I am correct.

I also found a picture that looks as if there may also be stitching on the underside of the wing from the root rib out to the beginning of the ailerons.

Any information you may have preferably confirming my comments I would appreciate

Hi David,

Every wood & fabric glider I was involved in overhauling used stitching on the underside of the wing since the airfoil was an inwards curved surface. Although we used undiluted varnish on the ribs to glue the fabric to the rib's surfaces, we stitched the underside all the way out towards the ailerons using a large, curved needle.

Uli
'AS'
Old February 10th 19, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW
external usenet poster

Default Moswey lll

On 2/10/2019 11:30 AM, David Alchin wrote:
Hi Guy's, I do not fly full size gliders but an avid R/C flyer/builder
currently building the Moswey lll in 1/3 scale size and have a question
that you may be able to answer.

My question concerns scale fidelity in so far as pictures of the full size
in my opinion clearly show the tail flying surfaces as being stitched and
pinked tape covered ?

I do believe some sailplanes I suspect aerobatic as is the Moswey used this
now dying art method but I can not find any literature to support this
conjecture added to which my fellow R/C scale nuts in the UK don't believe
I am correct.

I also found a picture that looks as if there may also be stitching on the
underside of the wing from the root rib out to the beginning of the
ailerons.

Any information you may have preferably confirming my comments I would
appreciate

Justin Case you haven't already, contacting the Vintage Sailplane Association
may prove helpful. I'm fairly certain at least one Swiss-painted Moswey III
has been restored to flying status. I'm pretty certain VSA has access to some
original construction documentation for various sailplane types from that era.

https://www.vintagesailplane.org/

Bob W.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Old February 10th 19, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Moswey lll

Yep....he got it while I was typing,and searching......
Old February 10th 19, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Moswey lll

David, not sure where you are located.
In the USA, find the "VSA" (vintage Soaring a.....something.....I can't think of the name.....spellcheck isn't helping......)
Sigh.......
Maybe they can help out.
Old February 11th 19, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Alchin
external usenet poster

Default Moswey lll

Seems I am vindicated ego shot off the board, did send a request for more info to VA Thanks to all David
Old February 11th 19, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Lederman
external usenet poster

Default Moswey lll

David, I too have been flying RC gliders, since 1972. It is great that you are putting in this effort to get the detail right.

In the summer of 2015 an old RC friend and professional pilot told me that every RC landing works for experience flying full size gliders. In October I got a demo ride in a Stemme S10VT, the sales guy sunk the hook. That October I ordered one, turning into a S12. I spent the next summer driving to Ionia Michigan twice a week taking glider flying lessons, getting my private pilot glider certificate October 2016. I took delivery of my Stemme S12 in January 2018 and now have 81.6 hours in her and 119 total flying hours..

My friend was correct, all that RC experience helps. My third solo was one hour and 37 minutes! So, if you ever get the opportunity, take some full size lessons!

I'm also Co-Director of the Weak Signals R/C Exposition in Toledo Ohio. Bring your model and enter it in the competition!
Old February 12th 19, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Alchin
external usenet poster

Default Moswey lll

Hi Rick, whilst the old adage your never to old to learn is great at 88 don't think I could cut it! I live in Ocala home of the retiree's you must see the AMA magazine we well the owner has had an add in there for many years the only problem of a club membership 164 I am the lone sailplane builder and the glider interest which I haver tried to promote for the past three years is minimal. My last sailplane still unpainted was a Chris Williams design 1/3 scale Rhonadler We only have a Rouge SUV so carting models around is problematical I quit driving 6 years ago I figured the public were safer if I didn't drive not that I can't its something that old folks should take seriously concentration to often particularly here in Florida old folk drive slow, erratically, hunched over a steering wheel Uk! here's the thing when I moved to Ocala three years ago I renewed my license guess what its valid until I'm 90!!!!!!! Good luck with Toledo happy flying safe landings Dave PS I have a build log on RCG Moswey lll scale sailplanes