A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ADS-B equiped glider in USA Contests.

Old February 12th 19, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default ADS-B equiped glider in USA Contests

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
I made a request to LXNAV to add an option to silence the ADSB alarm for 10 minutes which is the length of a typical tow. If others will make such request they will probably consider this.

Ramy

The Flarm Support team is working on the problem of tow plane ADS-B continuous collision alarms while on tow. I have tested some provided Flarm beta level code late last year with good results and plan on testing further with warmer weather. Goal is to address ADS-B alarms on tow without requiring the tow plane to install a Flarm unit. Below is a comment from Flarm Tech Support (they are well aware of this problem in the US) on how alarm suppression may work.

"For now it uses a mix of parameters similar to the tow detection for FLARM.. At the moment, all ADSB targets treated as potential towing airplanes. We might have a way to improve it by using only ADSB signal with an aircraft category set to "light". However this would mean more configuration needed and we're not sure how this is handled in the US at the moment, hence the need for some real live testing. "

I have found the Flarm Support team to be extremely helpful and responsive. Hopefully we will have a solution soon.

Gary Campbell (GC)
Old February 12th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Why does "in the US" matter?Â* Is this an issue only with the US version
of Flarm?Â* I'm pretty sure ADS-B is the same world wide.

On 2/11/2019 4:33 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
I made a request to LXNAV to add an option to silence the ADSB alarm for 10 minutes which is the length of a typical tow. If others will make such request they will probably consider this.

Ramy

The Flarm Support team is working on the problem of tow plane ADS-B continuous collision alarms while on tow. I have tested some provided Flarm beta level code late last year with good results and plan on testing further with warmer weather. Goal is to address ADS-B alarms on tow without requiring the tow plane to install a Flarm unit. Below is a comment from Flarm Tech Support (they are well aware of this problem in the US) on how alarm suppression may work.

"For now it uses a mix of parameters similar to the tow detection for FLARM. At the moment, all ADSB targets treated as potential towing airplanes. We might have a way to improve it by using only ADSB signal with an aircraft category set to "light". However this would mean more configuration needed and we're not sure how this is handled in the US at the moment, hence the need for some real live testing."

I have found the Flarm Support team to be extremely helpful and responsive. Hopefully we will have a solution soon.

Gary Campbell (GC)

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 14th 19, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Because in the USA we have 1. ADS-B Out adoption requirements that affect some towplanes and 2. Have a low-level of adoption of FLARM out in towplanes. Kind of the reverse of Europe.