Grob 103 Spoiler Mechanism Removal?

Old January 6th 19, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Grob 103 Spoiler Mechanism Removal?

We are refurbishing and have the spoilers off, but so far have not seen a way to remove the arms and pushrods.

Any hints or special tools?
Old January 6th 19, 07:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

sunnuntai 6. tammikuuta 2019 6.29.34 UTC+2 George Haeh kirjoitti:
We are refurbishing and have the spoilers off, but so far have not seen a way to remove the arms and pushrods.

Any hints or special tools?

Don't know about Grob but in all cases I'm aware of airbrake linkages and bearings are installed before closing the wing. This means that you need a hole saw to change parts.
Old January 6th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don’t remove the pushrods, unless you must. The guides have a sliding sleeve with little plastic balls, when the pushrod is pulled out,one hears rattle, rattle, tink, tink..........as the balls fall out inside the wing! Inspect the spoiler plates, pivot bushings and bolts in place and if all looks good, lube and walk away. Pull up on the caps to check the springs, then close and lock to check for nothing sticking up.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old January 7th 19, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 9:06:11 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Don’t remove the pushrods, unless you must. The guides have a sliding sleeve with little plastic balls, when the pushrod is pulled out,one hears rattle, rattle, tink, tink..........as the balls fall out inside the wing! Inspect the spoiler plates, pivot bushings and bolts in place and if all looks good, lube and walk away. Pull up on the caps to check the springs, then close and lock to check for nothing sticking up.
Hope this helps,
JJ

select Grob 103 serial numbers have a reoccurring inspection of the spoiler bellcranks for cracks. there is a access hatch modification to get to them to repair/replace. you might check http://www.ltb-lindner.com/ for more information.
good luck,
Scott
Old January 7th 19, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Our 103 had a bent spoiler rod - it sticks out beyond the wing root and is either a convenient handhold or easily caught on the fuselage and bent. We opted to replace the rod, to undo bolts in the wing it was necessary to open up the wing. Previous comments about things being in place before wing buttoned up are true! We just installed the inspection ports behind the spar vicinity of the overcenter lock. Removing the spoilers mechanism would entail lots of openings on both sides of spar! You may want to reconsider! Did not encounter any linear bearings that fell out, only a sleeve in the wing root, and many small abrasions from putting hand through supplied opening that is sized for children! Check with Robert Mudd in Moriarty, US contact - he was very helpful. Likewise, Lindner has plenty of tech bulletins to read that may provide insight.
Mark
Old February 17th 19, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm curious as to why you want to remove the pushrods?
I've had to replace some of the teflon balls in the pushrod guides in the past. The balls had flat spots and caused noise in the wing as the tubes moved across them. It did require adding access thru the bottom of the wing.
Old February 18th 19, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

We wanted to clean up and relube.
Old February 22nd 19, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've got a few pictures of the pushrod guides with roller balls if anyone would like to see how they are designed. The balls are caged and should not fall out, unless the cage or balls are worn to much, or the stop rivets are missing from the outer tube.
To bad we can't post pics here.
Old February 22nd 19, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here is a link to a few pics of these aileron pushrod guides in the wing.
A good look at the crank that requires inspection by AD is also included.

Hope this works?

https://imgur.com/a/0ehbx2R
Old February 22nd 19, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well, I have to apologize for the junk below the pictures. I didnt realize that was there.

Sorry.

Grob twin II rear canopy hinge release mechanism mas Soaring 2 July 5th 17 06:06 PM
Looking for Grob Twin Astir Gear Retract Mechanism AJM Soaring 0 August 18th 09 05:03 AM
Fowler Flap Mechanism Dick Home Built 9 September 6th 06 06:05 PM
protecting sliding mechanism Ernest Christley Home Built 11 May 14th 05 05:03 AM
Anti-collision mechanism Ramapriya Piloting 42 January 5th 05 04:17 PM