Air brake won’t lock

Old August 9th 18, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Air brake won’t lock

My Ventus airbrake doesn’t always stay closed during the roll out on tow. Now our grass runway is hard and ruff and causes a lot of bouncing around but over the last few years the brake come on if I don’t lean my hand against it. Is there any adjustments or could something have broke? I can’t see anything when I inspect the linkage.

DC
Old August 9th 18, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Which Ventus? The Ventus 1 has a gas spring on the airbrake mechanism that holds the spoilers in detent. It’s probably losing it’s charge and replacing that will be a straight forward fix if V1. Not as familiar with V2-3.
Old August 9th 18, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Where is the gas spring located? I have an original B model.

DC
Old August 9th 18, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It’s on the left side and it’s a small-ish strut that if memory serves pushes straight down. Think it may be mounted to the bottom of the cross tube which the wing pins go into. When the spoilers are locked it pushes down and somewhat forward. When you unlock the spoilers the linkage rotates aft and down.
Old August 10th 18, 01:15 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
My Ventus airbrake doesn’t always stay closed during the roll out on tow. Now our grass runway is hard and ruff and causes a lot of bouncing around but over the last few years the brake come on if I don’t lean my hand against it. Is there any adjustments or could something have broke? I can’t see anything when I inspect the linkage.

DC
Hi Dave

There is an adjustable stop that could be adjusted to allow the bellcrank to go a little further in the locking direction that may help if the gas strut is weak but replacing the gas strut remains the best option.

I have attached a drawing that shows the strut position

:-) Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ventus 1 controls.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	101126

Last edited by Ventus_a : August 10th 18 at 08:18 AM.
Old August 10th 18, 11:20 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

DC
Hi Dave

Also, the last time I flew my Ventus I had the brakes come open after lift off on tow. I sank back on heavily, hurting my back and neck, but continued with the takeoff. The glider was inspected and no damage found and I was sore for a couple of days.

I'm replacing the gas strut before I fly it again

:-) Colin
Old August 30th 18, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 9:27:08 AM UTC-4, wrote:
My Ventus airbrake doesn’t always stay closed during the roll out on tow. Now our grass runway is hard and ruff and causes a lot of bouncing around but over the last few years the brake come on if I don’t lean my hand against it. Is there any adjustments or could something have broke? I can’t see anything when I inspect the linkage.

DC

I have the piston, trying to e mail you

Old August 31st 18, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Heinz

I just sent you another email with my address. Let me know if you have received it. Thank you.

Dennis

Oudie won’t download flight [email protected] Soaring 35 May 10th 18 01:55 AM
Two Lock Rule? Robert M. Gary Piloting 62 June 16th 05 05:00 AM
Cherry Lock Rich Home Built 0 March 21st 05 12:33 AM
Cherry Lock Kit Rich Home Built 1 March 20th 05 11:20 PM
Ubisoft Lock On. Pilot Pete Simulators 3 January 26th 04 04:54 AM