Super Cub towplane performance

Old July 11th 03, 01:41 PM
Marc Arsenault

Default Super Cub towplane performance

Well, we finally discovered that the propeller was totally worn out. We took
the prop to our local Sensenich dealer-repairshop.

The very helpful people of BL Aviation took no more than 15 minutes on the
prop stand to measure out the defective "windmill". Actually, the
measurement were quite impressive. 5/8th of an inch (1,55cm) of chord
missing at the prop tip. A brand new prop has a chord of 2 3/4 inches (7,1
cm). The propeller was literally stalled out on a good portion of it's
"span".

We ordered out a new one. Hopefully with some badly needed carburetor work,
we will achieve the original performance. It will not be a rocket, but much
better than what we were living with for quite a while and for sea level to
2 000 ASL tow jobs, should prove quite satisfactory.

I urge you all to keep a close eye on this issue. We all know that
propellers are subject to wear. But since I personally was out of the
business of flying propeller aircraft for quite a while, I learned that worn
out props have a nasty tendency to wear out quite faster when near
tolerance. This could explain, in part, why we felt our performance decaying
progressively since the season opener.

I also would like to tank you all for the admirable, supportive and
knowledgeable submissions. For some reason, I cannot retrieve the full
posting threads. They probably eroded with that poor prop! If any of you are
in the Montreal area, come and visit us at Bromont, I'll take you up on our
new ASK21.

Best regards

Marc

"Shoulbe" wrote in message
Could it be a cam lobe that has worn down which would not allow full power

be developed even though good compression is indicated?