Jonker 18 meter sailplane

Old November 2nd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

Default Jonker 18 meter sailplane

I have been looking at the website for this new sailplane --
http://www.jonkersailplanes.co.za/.

One photo has this caption: "The post curing oven is almost completed.
All components must be post-cured at 60°C for minimum 12 hrs for the
epoxy to achieve its LBA approved specifications."

I know that high-tech sailboats are post cured, but it was my impression
that sailplanes were not, and this was a reason that some have problems
with subsequent changes in wing shape.

Is Jonkers using a better technology that everyone else, or is
post-curing already done by other manufacturers?
Old November 3rd 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Greg Arnold wrote:

Is Jonkers using a better technology that everyone else, or is
post-curing already done by other manufacturers?

All gliders that I kow of are post cured to some extent. The epoxy
resin does not reach it full potential strength untill it has been post
cured.

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico

Old November 3rd 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Lindsay

In article , Greg Arnold
writes
wrote:
Greg Arnold wrote:
Is Jonkers using a better technology that everyone else, or is
post-curing already done by other manufacturers?

All gliders that I kow of are post cured to some extent. The epoxy
resin does not reach it full potential strength untill it has been post
cured.

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico

I see on the DG website that DG post-cures at 35 C (95 F), while Jonkers
claims to post-cure at 60 C (140C). I just looked at a book on sailboat
building, where one builder says he post-cures at anywhere from 176 F
(due to a limit in a racing rule) to 200 F.

Gives an entirely new meaning to the expression "hot ship" doesn't it?
--
Mike Lindsay
Old November 4th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_4_]

I know that my PIK-20 was actually built in an autoclave. After 30
years, I still have no spar bump or dip. The unfortunate piece of that
is that the molds warped and the wings are a touch too thick. I believe
Sparrowhawks are cured at above 300 deg. f. if I read the info
correctly.

Jack Womack

Open & 18 Meter Nationals Hobbs # 711 reporting [email protected] Soaring 0 July 14th 06 09:44 PM
Jet sailplane update Bob C Soaring 0 April 13th 06 08:06 AM
Duster Plans For Sale - BJ-1b fullsize sailplane plans WoodHawk Soaring 0 April 25th 05 04:37 AM
Radio Shack SWR meter Paul Lee Home Built 6 June 2nd 04 04:42 AM
Ultralight sailplane aerotow liability Caracole Soaring 18 April 1st 04 09:17 PM