Rear View Cameras

Old June 10th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Kochanski (KK)

Default Rear View Cameras

Now that we are moving to large screen nav displays, how hard would it
be to install a rear view camera ... not so much for backing up ...
(I can do that without a camera on any given contest day) ... but for
those pesky pilots that insist on flying in your blind spot ... i.e.
i'm thinking this would be one button to switch to rear-view ... and
another press to get back to nav.

KK
Old June 10th 09, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Jun 10, 9:57*am, "Ken Kochanski (KK)"
wrote:
Now that we are moving to large screen nav displays, how hard would it
be to install a rear view camera ... not so much for backing up *...
(I can do that without a camera on any given contest day) *... but for
those pesky pilots that insist on flying in your blind spot ... i.e.
i'm thinking this would be one button to switch to rear-view ... and
another press to get back to nav.

KK

I started looking into this about a month ago. Unfortunately I could
not find a way to send video to an Ipaq or other Windows Mobile
devices. If anyone has a solution that does not require an extra
screen I would like to know how to do it.

Tim
Old June 10th 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jun 10, 8:57*am, "Ken Kochanski (KK)"
wrote:
Now that we are moving to large screen nav displays, how hard would it
be to install a rear view camera ... not so much for backing up *...
(I can do that without a camera on any given contest day) *... but for
those pesky pilots that insist on flying in your blind spot ... i.e.
i'm thinking this would be one button to switch to rear-view ... and
another press to get back to nav.

KK

Great idea, and absolutely critical for effective implementation of
counter-measures!
Old June 10th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

wrote:
Now that we are moving to large screen nav displays, how hard would it
be to install a rear view camera ... not so much for backing up *...
(I can do that without a camera on any given contest day) *... but for
those pesky pilots that insist on flying in your blind spot ... i.e.
i'm thinking this would be one button to switch to rear-view ... and
another press to get back to nav.

KK

Weird timing... I've totally been thinking about this lately as well,
not so much for leechers (not a problem for me yet, but maybe
someday... so much as for safety reasons since I do like to engage
in intentional maneuvers involving abrupt changes in my aircraft’s
attitude, abnormal attitudes, and abnormal accelerations, not
necessary for normal flight... It would sure be nice to clear the air
first by looking at my rear/bottom view cameras instead doing clearing
turns.

-Paul

Old June 10th 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

[...]

That's funny, I just bought one yesterday at the local auto-parts
store. Here's the link: http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_backup_camera.html

It costs about $98 and has a camera that goes on your license plate
mount and a transmitter powered by the back-up light. A receiver with
a small color LCD display attached to your windshield with a suction
cup and runs off a cigarette lighter jack. You can flip the image
from reversed like a mirror to reality looking backwards, your
choice. I got it to put on the back of the glider trailer for the
occasional crew that has to come get me and isn't used to a 30+ foot
trailer (cheap insurance). It did occur to me to put it on the
glider, but a mirror will do most of what it does for less trouble so
it isn't worth the trouble to me. It would be better than a mirror for
clearing behind and below, though. Now if I can just zero it to the
tail guns, the leeches are toast.

Don
Old June 11th 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

P bombs?
Don't give the Polish Racing Team too many ideas. KK knew very well
the fellow with the bumper sticker:
"Old age and treachery shall defeat youth and skill"
Jim

Old June 12th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_9_]

wrote:

Now that we are moving to large screen nav displays, how hard would it
be to install a rear view camera ... not so much for backing up *....
(I can do that without a camera on any given contest day) *... but for
those pesky pilots that insist on flying in your blind spot ... i.e.
i'm thinking this would be one button to switch to rear-view ... and
another press to get back to nav.

KK

http://www.amazon.com/iPAQ-Photosmar.../dp/B0000DK2ZM

This could work, depending on the software - presumably it puts some
image on the screen so you can frame the shot, and it shoots video.
You might need to put a wider angle lens over the front of it. I do
worry that between the resolution, generally poor contrast of iPaq
screens in sunlight and the natue of gaggle flying, it might be less
effective than a simple wide angle mirror.

9B

Old pics - new scans 3 - Yet another view of a Tornado from a Tornado rear seat Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 January 15th 08 10:48 PM
Old pics - new scans 2 - A view of the valley floor from a Tornado rear seat Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 1 January 15th 08 06:24 AM
Old pics - new scans 2 - A view of the valley floor from a Tornado rear seat 2 Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 January 15th 08 05:56 AM
Old pics - new scans 2 - A view of another Tornado from a Tornado rear seat Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 January 15th 08 05:55 AM
Historic Bombers Boeing B-52 Stratofortresses Lined up on the Taxiway Rear View.jpg (1/1) J.F. Aviation Photos 0 October 26th 07 01:18 AM