Is it Possible to Self launch (no wingman) with CG hook??

Old November 11th 04, 09:37 AM
Mark Newton

In article ,
"goneill" wrote:

You need to be "very very" quick on release if the down wing
does not move forward with the winch launch as the upper wing
starts flying and lifts up and can throw the glider/you into an
end over end cartwheel,

You don't start with a "down wing". You prop the wings so
they're level.

- mark
Old November 11th 04, 09:38 AM
Mark Newton

In article ,
CV wrote:

Bill Daniels wrote:
Instant roll control and no prop wash to deal with.

Actually, the prop wash will help, by providing some airflow
over the wings and control surfaces, giving you a certain
degree of control, even before the speed builds up.

We're talking about a winch, CV. You don't have to wait until the speed
builds up :-)

- mark
Old November 11th 04, 12:08 PM
Stefan

Mark Newton wrote:

You don't start with a "down wing". You prop the wings so
they're level.

I always start with a "down wing" when being alone. No problem whatsoever.

Stefan

Old November 11th 04, 05:39 PM
goneill

The point is this "cartwheel scenario" has happened before.
I believe there was a case in Europe not that long ago.
gary

Old November 11th 04, 06:45 PM
Bill Daniels

"goneill" wrote in message
The point is this "cartwheel scenario" has happened before.
I believe there was a case in Europe not that long ago.
gary

Indeed!

If a wing tip catches on something like tall grass, the combination of high
acceleration and CG hook can be disastrous. This sometimes results in a
flick roll and inverted crash. This is why the takeoff area of winch
operations needs to be smooth and the pilots 'spring loaded' to release if
the takeoff roll swerves.

If the takeoff surface was smooth asphalt and the glider had tip wheels or
low-friction skids then starting with a wingtip propped up on a stand or box
might not be so dangerous. It pays to be careful though.

Let me add just how sweet it is to accelerate and lift off without the
turbulence, noise and dust of a tow plane. Compared to air tow, a winch
launch area is downright civilized.

Bill Daniels

Old November 11th 04, 06:58 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Having ground looped once on a winch launch (inexperienced wing runner and
tall grass) I doubt I would ever consider this on grass or dirt. A paved
surface might be okay with a very experienced pilot. A wings level assist
would be good, but might be moot if the up slack just pulled the glider off
the leveler. Holding a glider with airbrake/wheelbrake combo level doesn't
seem prudent. The more bothersome aspect is the lack of another set of eyes
to visually check the launch zone for encroachment.

Think I'd prefer to file this in my never do list (from a winch driver
perspective).
'Never winch launch unassisted'
'Never winch launch downwind'

Frank

Old November 12th 04, 08:47 AM
Pete Reinhart

We had it happen here a few years ago.
A very experienced pilot and single ground crew driving our tow car on a
week day with no one else around.
The glider was totaled and the pilot suffered serious injuries.
Maybe ok in a 2-33.
I got away with it once in an SHK but I don't think I would try it again.
Cheers!

Old November 14th 04, 07:54 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article grOkd.76520$HA.7455@attbi_s01, Bill Daniels
writes

Let me add just how sweet it is to accelerate and lift off without the
turbulence, noise and dust of a tow plane. Compared to air tow, a winch
launch area is downright civilized.

Bill Daniels

Although not as civilised as a bungee launch...
--
Mike Lindsay
Old November 15th 04, 03:07 AM
Nolaminar

You want quiet launch?
Shoulder launch from the Mynd is pretty quiet, I am told.
GA
Old November 15th 04, 11:25 AM
Robert Ehrlich

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote:

Having ground looped once on a winch launch (inexperienced wing runner and
tall grass) I doubt I would ever consider this on grass or dirt. A paved
surface might be okay with a very experienced pilot. A wings level assist
would be good, but might be moot if the up slack just pulled the glider off
the leveler. Holding a glider with airbrake/wheelbrake combo level doesn't
seem prudent. The more bothersome aspect is the lack of another set of eyes
to visually check the launch zone for encroachment.

Think I'd prefer to file this in my never do list (from a winch driver
perspective).
'Never winch launch unassisted'
'Never winch launch downwind'

Frank

By us there is no wing runner for winch launch, only a wing holder. The
acceleration is so that nobody would be able to follow the glider,
nor any vehicle whose propulsion relies on friction on the ground, since
the friction coefficient will never be sufficient to provide such an acceleration.
So the wing holder could easily be replaced by any object (wing stand, tyres heap,
etc.) having the same function, although we never do it because we want to
keep the watching capability of the wing holder.

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Vandenberg Launch, April 17 Piloting 5 April 9th 04 02:21 AM
Ground launch and the incremental vanishing of soaring Mark James Boyd Soaring 24 March 8th 04 10:50 PM
Pegasus/TRACE Launch Photos Posted Brian Webb Military Aviation 0 February 21st 04 03:50 PM
Friendly fire pilot may testify against wingman Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 11th 03 09:32 PM