Plan our camping trip!

Old April 10th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Plan our camping trip!

Regarding the father/son trip....

How about Duluth, MN? Several airports to choose from, great hiking,
camping and whatnot along the North Shore. And as a bonus, they are
having the Duluth Airshow in July.

http://www.duluthairshow.com/2006/index.html

I love the Duluth area! And my son's never seen it...hmmmm...camp on
the shores of Lake Superior, and then check out the airshow...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 10th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The certainly have a sailing school, but I am not sure about the boat
rental. You can "rent" fishing guides. I was just up there on Saturday.
Beautiful day, but no one was there. With the east west runway and the
runway sloping uphill to the west, general pattern is to land west and
take off east with the general prevailing south or north x-wind. I will
even use this pattern, accepting the up hill over the downwind takeoff
or landing. You have to judge what is acceptable to you. Do not use the
west landing late in the evening, the sun can be right in your eyes.
Direct sunlight and that reflected off the lake. You can loose the
runway real quick.

Where are you located?

Ross
KSWI

JJS wrote:

I'll give a plug for Cedar Mills Marina (3T0) and AirNav has it at 534
nm. Cedar Mills (http://www.cedarmills.com/) has a 3000' east west runway. They have duplexs on the runway that you
can rent and a they are right on Lake Texoma (http://www.laketexoma.com/)(89,000 acres). If you would like to see
how world class sail boats are built they are built on the marina (http://www.cedarmills.com/valiant.htm). There is
a resturant within walking distance that over looks the marina. And if you wish you can camp on the airport
grounds. Showers are close to the airport.

--
Regards,

Ross
C-172F 180 hp
KSWI

You beat me to it Ross. I was going to suggest 3TO as well. The runway is grass. I believe you can take sailing
lessons at the marina and rent boats?

Joe Schneider
N8437R

Old April 10th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay,

Consider flying to Branson, MO. That's the "new Nashville". They also
have a very cool theme park called Silver Dollar City that I've been to
on multiple occasions. I really enjoyed it. I've not been there in
years (since before it became the "new Nashville"), but there was a lot
to do and that would be pretty close, too, I think.

Chris

Jay Honeck wrote:
Okay, so this year my son wants to do a flying father/son trip. (Every
summer I take each kid, just the two of us, somewhere. It's usually a
motorcycle camping trip, but my son tends to alternate between riding
and flying. Two years ago we flew into Gaston's Fly-In Resort down in
Arkansas, and had a great time fishing...)

So, where to go? It's got to have:

1. Camping on the field (or within walking distance.)
2. Something to do for a few days. Hiking, biking, canoeing, swimming,
water parks, roller coasters -- *something* to keep a 15-year-old boy
busy.
3. It can't be too far away, in case I've got to zip back for whatever
reason. 400 - 500 miles is probably the limit.

One thing he does NOT want to do is see another aviation museum. We've
fed him too much of that ice cream, since birth, and he's "museumed
out"...for now.

Canada is a place I've never flown before. Maybe heading north would
be fun, or maybe something along the shores of Lake Superior...?

So, any ideas/recommendations?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 11th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Regarding the father/son trip....
http://www.duluthairshow.com/2006/index.html

I love the Duluth area! And my son's never seen it...hmmmm...camp on
the shores of Lake Superior, and then check out the airshow...

Screw camping. Cabin on the lake!

1. We stay he http://www.castlehaven.net/index.htm
38 miles up the shore from Duluth.

A. Cabins are ON the water.
B. It's close to Duluth (1 hr to the lift bridge)
C. It's close to three State Parks, including Split Rock Lighthouse.
D. It's close to the Superior Hiking Trail.
E. It's a little over an hour from Grand Marais

F. Cabins are on one of the last roads before Gooseberry Falls State Park
(GFSP was a HUGE C.C.C. project in the 30's)

G. Joe would love Palisade Head. You? Not so much.
(350' straight up from the water surface - Superior is 900' deep just off
shore. You can stand with your toes dangling over the edge, if you like)
http://public.fotki.com/benzo007/vacations_and_trips/north_shore_trip_2005/palisade_head_cliff/?cmd=slideShowFlash

2. Cirrus tour. Duluth Airport.

3. Duluth - Sky Harbor Airport (DYT) ....to (IOW) 305 nautical miles
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KDYT
Land out on Minnesota Point - near the bird sanctuary. Yikes!
(BTW, The Edmond Fitz left Duluth Harbor on the Wisconsin side, near DYT,
not under the Duluth lift bridge)

4. Land at ANE and drive up - we will NOT let you stay at Cirrus FBO
again!!! I'll ask around, maybe I'll get lucky. Honda or the minivan -
doesn't matter to us.

So, Duluth it is. There, that's settled. July 6-9? 8-11? g

Split Rock Lighthouse camping sites (on-the-lake) fill up quickly. They're
nice - 50 miles up the shore from Duluth. Gooseberry Falls camping sites are
"near" the lake, nice, but not as dramatic as Split Rock sites.

Cabin! Cabin! Cabin!

Let us know if we can be of assistance. There are 10,000 COOL things to do
up there. Highway 1 from the North Shore into Ely is about as good as it
gets for motoring.

Timberwolves?
http://www.wolf.org/wolves/index.asp

Soudan underground mine?
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_par...ine/index.html

http://community.webshots.com/album/...95PZDffIJoBO/0
Just outside of Duluth - click Slideshow. Jay Cook State Park
Kayak races are held here. St. Louis River empties into Duluth Harbor.

Kayak races on the St Louis River? We watched them one year. Fun.
http://www.umdrsop.org/kayaking/events/index.htm
They hold back the water in the reservoir for a few weeks. The river rises
(downstream) over six feet, for race day, once they release the water.
http://www.sws-wis.com/buttercup/

Ocean-going BIG ships? "Salties" or "Lakers"?
http://www.duluthshippingnews.com/
World's BEST site for getting lost in the links! Click away!

Yeah. Duluth is fun.

Montblack

Old April 11th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I love the Duluth area! And my son's never seen it...hmmmm...camp on
the shores of Lake Superior, and then check out the airshow...

Screw camping. Cabin on the lake!
So, Duluth it is. There, that's settled. July 6-9? 8-11? g

Hmmmm... peak black fly and mosquito season, isn't it?
Nothing like getting your exercise swatting, swimming and running on the
beach to escape the clouds of swarming, hungry, bloodthirsty insects.
:-))
Old April 11th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Screw camping. Cabin on the lake!

Sounds good to me!

4. Land at ANE and drive up - we will NOT let you stay at Cirrus FBO
again!!! I'll ask around, maybe I'll get lucky. Honda or the minivan -
doesn't matter to us.

"Drive up"? What is this "drive" of which you speak? This is
supposed to be a FLYING father/son trip!

:-)

So, Duluth it is. There, that's settled. July 6-9? 8-11? g

I like the idea -- let me bounce it off the boy...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 11th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("john smith" wrote)
Hmmmm... peak black fly and mosquito season, isn't it?
Nothing like getting your exercise swatting, swimming and running on the
beach to escape the clouds of swarming, hungry, bloodthirsty insects.

Swimming on the beach? Superior? Ha! Jet ski in a FULL insulated body suit -
maybe.

I swam in Superior in June (40 miles up the shoreline from Duluth - we all
call it north, but it's really mostly east) Not swimming at the mouth of a
45-50 degree river, mind you, but out on the rocks (by our rented cabin)
wading in up to my neck.

Top 6 inches of surface water was ...44 F, at the most. Going down to 4-ft
or 5-ft or 6-ft and it was in the HIGH 30's (F). I could feel the 5 or 6
degree change in water temp, initially. Then I couldn't feel my toes, or my
fingers, or my....

I lasted 15 minutes - the last 9 were miserable.
(About 75-ft from shore, the lake depth is 800-ft deep where I was swimming)

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/swt2d-03.html

http://www.landbigfish.com/watertemps/superior.cfm

These temps don't change much come summer! :-)

Superior's big draw is having the Twin Cities at 97 degrees while you're up
on the North Shore in a sweatshirt - not much humidity and almost no
mosquitoes.

Blackflies and mosquitoes are NOT much of a problem hiking or lounging
around the shoreline vs. being inland a few miles. A few, not many though.

Montblack
http://www.acousticmusic.com/staines/bsdisco.htm
Bill Staines - The BlackFly Song
Album: Just Play One Tune More (1977) Now out on CD
Great LP record, album, CD ...whatever.