Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

Old August 22nd 19, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 3:21:23 PM UTC-7, wrote:
For simple long pleasure flights in the western US or for the rare flights in the Alps would I notice any real PRACTICAL difference between a Discus 2c and other flapped 18m ships? I have NO interest in competition. Thanks

Yes, there ARE practical difference between a Discus 2C and, say, an ASW29-18, and not just a little, a lot. I recommend that you search OLC and find flights where these two gliders are flown head-to-head. I have personally flown an ASH26e against a 29 and they left me in the dust.

BTW, "pleasure" means "not landing out."

Tom

Old August 22nd 19, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 3:21:23 PM UTC-7, wrote:
For simple long pleasure flights in the western US or for the rare flights in the Alps would I notice any real PRACTICAL difference between a Discus 2c and other flapped 18m ships? I have NO interest in competition. Thanks

I'm not sure if you are in the western US or in the Alps. If it's the western US you will be dealing with high density altitudes (i.e high true airspeed) and "inconsistent" landout environments where energy management might be critical. For this reason I switched from Standard to 15M class when I bought a new glider in 2003 - an ASW-27B. I have no regrets. Even if you don't fly contests you might give thought to what classes might still exist in the future should you ever want to sell - if resale value matters to you.

Also, when conditions are strong your long pleasure flights will be longer (and therefore more pleasurable) if you can suck the flaps up in cruise.

Andy Blackburn
9B

Old August 13th 19, 03:22 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

[quote=Brett;997703]I have about 500 hours in a D2C (18m). And a number of 18m flapped gliders since. The D2C is a beautiful sailplane to fly and very competitive. If you fly under 100kts it gives very little away to a V2cx.
I had no problems towing full of water or landing short. Very docile handling.
AND it will easily out-climb a Libelle.
I highly recommend it for your type of flying.

Brett
Old August 13th 19, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Snip/paste: "AND it will easily out-climb a Libelle. "
I very much doubt that....!
Old August 14th 19, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 5:12:37 PM UTC-4, 6PK wrote:
Snip/paste: "AND it will easily out-climb a Libelle. "
I very much doubt that....!

Ok, we are friends! Viva la Libelle!
Old August 14th 19, 08:32 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6PK View Post
Snip/paste: "AND it will easily out-climb a Libelle. "
I very much doubt that....!
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I'm not bashing the Libelle (it was a masterpiece of it's era) but you are obviously a member of the Flat Earth Society.
Old August 14th 19, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

I don't think so...
The Libelle in the right hands will keep up if not out climb anything in it's class....period.
BTW presently I fly a DG but I did own a 201once...
Old August 14th 19, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The world isn’t flat???
Old August 15th 19, 08:28 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6PK View Post
I don't think so...
The Libelle in the right hands will keep up if not out climb anything in it's class....period.
BTW presently I fly a DG but I did own a 201once...
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "in the right hands". My first glider was a share in a Cobra 15 (SZD 36A)and I was never out climbed by any early glass including Libelles and ASW 15s

I was only 18 when I owned it, and to be honest was not up against the best pilots out there, but it's more about the loose nut behind the wheel (stick)

Oh yeah, not to forget the reason for this thread. I like flaps and in recent years my rides have been a Ventus a and a Nimbus 3D. I would have no problem having something without flaps especially something as cool as a D2c. The sheer joy of being airborne doing my best to be making like a bird doesn't depend on flaps or span

:-) Colin

Last edited by Ventus_a : August 15th 19 at 09:00 AM.
Old August 14th 19, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

--
Brett

Who was the slug in that Libelle? No one can out thermal a Libelle! lol

Just kidding... I have a sweet spot for the Libelle. My first Sailplane. 250 hours that first year. She was a fun machine... No plane in that era ever flew through that glider in a thermal...

For the money, based on the thermal aspects and pure fun, I can't think any other plane that matches it that was in standard class for its time. I'm biased, of course...

Gary
"SQ"
ASW27b

More flaps? WingFlaps Piloting 36 May 26th 08 07:33 AM
flaps again Kobra Piloting 107 January 5th 08 04:31 PM
flaps Kobra[_4_] Piloting 84 July 16th 07 06:16 PM
flaps Kobra[_4_] Owning 85 July 16th 07 06:16 PM
FLAPS skysailor Soaring 36 September 7th 05 05:28 AM