OOPS! Got contact cement on the windshield

Old November 13th 04, 11:10 PM
Mike Rapoport

Thanks. I think that I will try the fingernail method first. The glue is
down where the windshield meets the glareshield so it would be difficult to
polish.

Mike
MU-2

"zatatime" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 04:57:20 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

I managed to get some 1300L contact cement on the windshield of my Helio
Courier while reattaching the vinyl to the glareshield. Does anyone know
if
I can use "adhesive remover" on an acrylic windshield without causing
crazing? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Mike
MU-2

Can you keep the area very wet for a long period of time? I'm
thinking covered with wet paper towels, and wait a while for the
adhesive to soften up so you can use your finger to pick it off.

If that won't work, I know either Sporty's or Spruce sells a
"Windshield Compounding" kit. It comes with different "grit" sponges
and 3 or 5 separate compounds. You'll probably have to do the whole
windshield, but at least it should get the junk off it.

HTH.

Old November 13th 04, 11:11 PM
Mike Rapoport

Thanks! I think that I will try picking it off before trying chemicals but
if that fails I will give you some stuff to try!

Mike
MU-2

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I have the old windshield from our 172 in the back yard serving as a
basement window shelter. If you would like me to try anything on it for a
final check, email me directly. I'll even put some contact cement on it.

--

Roger Long

hlink.net...

Old November 13th 04, 11:13 PM
Mike Rapoport

I will try some citris cleaner on contact cement and then try it on
plexiglass if the "tedious fingernail method" doesn't work.

Mike
MU-2

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message

The best product I've found for removing glue, paint, and other stuff from
plexi is one of the citrus based cleaners. No solvents, and the stuff does
a fairly good job attacking a surprising number of things. Personally, I
wouldn't want to use any solvent near that expensive windscreen.

KB

windshield wipers tony roberts Owning 8 June 1st 04 02:45 AM
Arrgh! I may have scratched my windshield! Peter R. Owning 7 April 28th 04 07:58 AM
Radar contact before squawk David Brooks Instrument Flight Rules 20 March 25th 04 01:34 AM
Contact myplane Marvin B. Schumer Owning 1 January 26th 04 05:13 AM
Windshield sealant Mike Noel Owning 10 October 2nd 03 01:04 AM