Helicopter Ag flying

Old June 22nd 05, 07:57 PM

Default Helicopter Ag flying

As a lurker for some time, I am in awe of the ability it must take to
be an ag flyer. I have flown helis for several years but only as a PP.
The gentleman here who professes to be an ag pilot has more than a
little daring in him to perform some of his required feats.
I also "sort of" understand the other guy/gal who posted on another
thread questioning his statements. It didn't need to be taken to the
level of calling the gentleman a liar but the ag flyer's daily quests
were pretty dramatic. And I would hate to have him insured, that's for
sure.
Anyway, just wanted to say hello and kudos to anyone with that talent.

Old June 22nd 05, 10:45 PM

Yep I've been an ag pilot for a lot of years now and all I said are
accurate statements. I still maintain the only thing more fun than
watching a good ag pilot is actually doing it!
Insurance is always a question and expensive and especially if there is
anything more dangerous than eating Fritos and watching TV.
Cheers
Rocky

Old June 23rd 05, 05:32 PM

Kev
I know many instances when low time pilots were able to start in ag
being in the proverbial right place/time. Not all pilots or people have
the aptitude for ag work. I've seen several high time airline pilots
who took a fling at ag work and couldn't get within 30' of the surface,
or get the hang of it. Conversely, I've seen the low time guys who took
to it like ducks to water. In my case, I had about 1500 hours when an
ag pilot friend of mine asked if I wanted to do ag work in a Piper
Pawnee. I told him I didn't know squat about ag and he asked again if I
wanted to do ag work? So, I said OK and called a friend of his who
needed a pilot. It went from there and I made the usual stupid
mistakes, got into wrong fields, generally embarrassed myself. But, the
boss hung in there with me and asked me back for the next season. I
think I logged something like 4-500 hours that first year.
I know a young englishman who came to us looking for work as a loader,
or mechanic and was extremely proud of his 65 hours and private license
rotorcraft. The boss took a chance on him as a loader/general mechanic,
and I began to give him some dual on the way to fields. He quickly
learned that he didn't know **** about flying! But, he stuck it out and
by the end of the season borrowed money from his parents to get his
commercial during the winter. He flew with HAI in Concord CA and had
his commercial by the following season. Little by little he gained
experience literally from the ground up and has since been flying full
time in ag mostly flying a Hiller 12. He was also sent to AStar school
by one of the farmers who bought one, and Steve flies it part time as
time permits.
So, its hard to say just how to break in. the apprenticeship is the
tough part with little pay, no benefits and godawful hours. My present
company has been known to take on new pilots but I don't know if they
also did the ground time or not. I can always ask?
Best of luck.
Rocky

Old June 23rd 05, 10:32 PM
SHIVER ME TIMBERS

As a lurker for some time, I am in awe of the ability it must take to
be an ag flyer. I have flown helis for several years but only as a PP.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and kudos to anyone with that talent.

Well don't be afraid to hit that post button from time to time.

As an armchair pilot and general lurker I try to do what I can to throw
a few comments and questions into the group, but my job so to speak is
to be positive, slap people on the back, congratulate them for their
accomplishments, ask what I hope are logical and curious questions from
time to time, and to not get into areas of technical expertise etc.,
that I am not qualified to speak on.

TO THE GENERAL LURKERS AND PILOTS WHO CRUISE ON BY HERE
FROM TIME TO TIME.

This group could use some positive individuals who have an active or
general interest in helicopters both military and civil.

People who don't want to get into arguements or ****ing matches over
what is bigger better or goes bang bang more often than something else.

Right now as all of you can see there are only a few people
participating on a regular basis and unfortunately over the past few
years for whatever reason some of the main regulars have faded away.

Micbloo and Bob Barbanes are probably the best two examples.

I know the conversations might not be the most interesting, and to some
they might even be boring simplistic and repetitious but that's the
nature of usenet.

So why don't some of you limber up those fingers, come into the group
if for no other reason that to tell us that you are out there lurking,
maybe give a bit if a descriptive bio on yourself, and let us know that
there are people out there reading what the posters have to say.

I know that the effort that Kevin has made over these past six months
has been appreciated and well received, and who can't imagine what it's
like to be in Rockie's shoes if only in our dreams for a few wishful
minutes.

Why heck... If I was a younger man in better health with some time and
money I might even mosey on over to Hennie's neck of the woods just to
mooch a ride with him in some of those interesting flying machines he's
working on.

Now I know that some of you come from military backgrounds and perhaps
some of the military newsgroups are more appropriate for your chats
about heavy iron but over the years there have been numerous
interesting threads held by mature, qualified people on what's what
with some of the military machines in use today.

Heck I've even made a few comments about our own military helicopter
fleet as it pertains to the phasing out of the Sea Kings and what's not
to like about those gorgeous Cormorants decked out in the Canadian flag
on a yellow background.

The fact that they were about twelve years late in coming blah blah
blah... well that's another story.

So if your reading this... and frankly who isn't, and you have a few
minutes, and frankly who doesn't, then why don't you post a fast note
to the group and tell us your alive and kicking.

And if you have a personal helicopter story good bad or indiffernt then
why don't you post it for the group to read.
Old June 24th 05, 05:53 AM
Warner

Yes, this site seems to be sort of slow. I wonder if it's simply a case
of not many pilots being aware?
Yahoo Groups has a nice site for helicopters and it's called:
"robinsonr22helicopters" and it's a part of Yahoo! Groups.
Quite a few post there.
How many rated pilots do we have here?
Best wishes,
Warner

Old June 25th 05, 01:11 AM
Beav

wrote in message
oups.com...
As a lurker for some time, I am in awe of the ability it must take to
be an ag flyer. I have flown helis for several years but only as a PP.
The gentleman here who professes to be an ag pilot has more than a
little daring in him to perform some of his required feats.
I also "sort of" understand the other guy/gal who posted on another
thread questioning his statements. It didn't need to be taken to the
level of calling the gentleman a liar but the ag flyer's daily quests
were pretty dramatic.

Don't you think YOU'RE giving the impression that Selway's lying? It
certainly comes across like that to me.

And I would hate to have him insured, that's for
sure.

After many thousands of hours doing ag work, I believe he'd be the first in
line if I were an insurer. He's still here after all, and the companies that
insure ag pilots know it's a risky occupation, so they'be looking to insure
experienced pilots with REAL experience.

Old June 25th 05, 02:36 AM

Beav,
I was not calling anyone a liar. Not in any way. I just meant that the
ag flyer was relating some dramtic stuff. And he was...it would take my
breath away for sure and I am a pilot. Are you?

And FYI: life insurance is nearly impossible to get these days for a
decent price if you are a professional helicopter pilot.

Seems like you are quick to leap to conclusions. I didn't read the ag
pilot being insulted.
Is this the reason why not many post here?

Old June 25th 05, 05:19 AM
Franklin Newton

I had sent this along and I thought it should be shared by all.
Well, you get to be an Ag-Pilot by starting out as a flagman or loader not
as an aircraft commander. As a flagman you learn what the crops look like,
where the fields you do are, you learn to look for hazards to the job (not
obstructions) and finally you get to watch a journeyman pilot, you get to
see how he handles various obstructions, how he plans to work the field and
why and finally if he wrecks you learn what not to do!
As a loader you learn about the various chemicals used, on what crops and
why, how much the particular aircraft will carry including fuel.
And then if they think your not a complete nincompoop, you will be allowed
to ferry the aircraft back to it's base at the end of the day. So when the
day comes for your first load you have a little time in type, a knowledge of
what you're going to do and why. but I bet Rocky is much more eloquent than
I and he is for real.

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message news
On 22 Jun 2005 14:45:45 -0700, wrote:

Yep I've been an ag pilot for a lot of years now and all I said are
accurate statements. I still maintain the only thing more fun than
watching a good ag pilot is actually doing it!
Insurance is always a question and expensive and especially if there is
anything more dangerous than eating Fritos and watching TV.
Cheers
Rocky

Just how does one break into the ag flying gig? Seems like you really
need to have a lot of experience before you even attempt to do the ag
thing... The old Catch-22.. Gotta have experience ot get the job,
but you can't get the job 'cuz you don't have the experience.

Old June 25th 05, 02:14 PM
Brett Sumpter

My first flying job was ag work - but I didn't just walk into it off
the streets, I'd been working for that operator as a combination
loader/truck driver/A&P mechanic for over a year. As a matter of fact,
that's how I built up the flight time to get my CPL in the first place
- I had just over 40 hours when I got my PPL, started ferrying
helicopters between job sites to build time.

It took a year or so to get 150 hours TT, even considering how crappy
the pay was I still came out ahead. Plus I had that first job lined up
too - in my case having the A&P license already was a huge help in
getting in the door...

I'm not in the ag business anymore, not even in aviation for that
matter - I miss the flying, but not the pay.
Old June 25th 05, 03:48 PM
Warner

Beav,
I did not mean to sound as if I was calling anyone here a liar. I think
YOU are making assumptions that are not there. I also meant to be
comical in regards to my insurance quote. I fly myself, so I have
nothing but respect for my fellow pilots.
I do agree in part with what the other poster said earlier, maybe the
attitudes you convey are part of the reason no one posts here. For this
site to have been around as long as it has and have only a handful of
posters says it all. This is nothing more than a daily diary blog since
there is obviously no more than 2 or 3 that post regularly. Wonder why?
It's nothing more than insults and bragging. Not much to reply to when
the fellow poster braggs about him being a cool dad or tearing a rotor
blade tip off. Or going to the absurd lengths of posting one of our
fellow pilot's full name and address. And then supposed calling his
FBO!!?? (Although I did notice that when the fellow who had his name
posted admitted it was him and challenged "the other Kevin" to tell us
his name the other Kevin wouldn't) These sorts of posts would
immediately be deleted on Vertical/PPrune and so forth. If you think
many pilots enjoy this sort of "professional" conversation then I have
swamp land to sell you.
**Thank you to the ag pilot for his nice responses. I do appreciate
them.**
(Maybe they should change the name of this forum to
rec.aviation."arguing idiots" rotorcraft)...
So long, kiddies.

Beav wrote:
oups.com...