CAF Airsho 5 days away!

Old September 24th 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default CAF Airsho 5 days away!

Ya'll livin in Texas got the wonderful annual Confederate Air Force (I
still can't call them "commemorative") Airsho 2007 comin up this
weekend!
I make the annual long drive (5 hours) from Waco every year. Used to
fly there but can't justify several hundred in rental fees whilst most
of my $ is going to A&P school and debt freedom. Flight through
central & west TX. isn't so pretty anyway.
I guess FIFI (B-29) will be out of commission for eng. overhaul (?)
but this year marks the return of the completely restored Diamond Lil
(B-24).
Of course, the Mustang(s) are what I anticipate the most along with
the "Tora Tora Tora" demo.
I've been doing this airsho almost every year since the late 70s when
it was in Harlingen. It's just about the same every year but it never
gets old.
This is when the CAF really goes all out with as many planes as they
can get in the air so if you've been to an airshow where there's a
WWII demo with the bombs (dynamite) & explosions & such, there is a
whole lot more in Midland every Fall!
Anyone hankering for something to do this coming weekend should
consider what has always been one of my favorite airshows.
This is truly warbird nirvana in Midland, Texas.
See ya there?

Ricky

Old September 24th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Ricky" wrote

This is when the CAF really goes all out with as many planes as they
can get in the air so if you've been to an airshow where there's a
WWII demo with the bombs (dynamite) & explosions & such,

I wish Texas wasn't so dang far away, so I'll not get there. I will have to
make it a point to go at least once.

As far as the explosions go, we (the Aviation Explorers) had the guy that
does all of the bombs at OSH come and give our group a program, and we found
out what they use for the explosions.

Most of the bomb (big sized) explosions are (in order, from the ground going
up)

1/4 to 1/2 stick of dynamite
blasting cap and wire to set it all off
cardboard box
trash bag-good quality, non leaking
2 to 5 gallons regular unleaded gasoline

The more dynamite, the higher it "lifts" the gasoline before it ignites.
The EPA is really strict on not having any pollution of the ground while
putting on the show, so no spills!

They are not allowed to use any metal or other materials that would not
vaporize in the explosion, for fear of projectile like behavior injuring
someone in the crowd.

It was really interesting. The outfit was called "Rick's Fantastic
Demolition" or something like that. Dang, I hate it when I forget stuff
like that!
--
Jim in NC

old days Airman Rotorcraft 23 January 2nd 07 01:36 PM
Just a few more days Louis L. Perley III Owning 1 December 31st 04 01:36 PM
Airsho / Fly-In Replies Requested Amigo Airsho Owning 0 September 22nd 04 03:56 AM
Airsho / Fly-In Replies Requested Amigo Airsho Piloting 0 September 22nd 04 03:56 AM
Two bad days... Yeff Military Aviation 0 July 3rd 04 09:31 PM