Sears tools

Old November 19th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dave[_5_]

Default Sears tools

On Nov 19, 1:41 pm, Sully wrote:
On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 19:33:26 -0500, "Morgans"

wrote:

"Ron Natalie" wrote

That's a shame. Nearly all of my tools now are from the 18V
Dewalt line to include:
I've had no problem with the XRP batteries.

One big difference in how long they last, is how you treat your batteries.

One of the biggest battery killers is running them until they won't hardly
turn the tool motor without any load on it. You should stop using the
battery, and get a fresh one immediately after the RPM starts to drop
noticeably.

If you run your battery real hard, let it cool for at least 30 minutes, and
an hour or two is better, before you charge it. After it is fully charged,
it should be allowed to cool down a bit before you use it again.

All this requires is enough batteries to do your job with some resting time
between cycles. An extra couple batteries go a long way towards making all
of them last much longer.

Also, some of the Dewalt chargers come with a button on them, that you push
to run them through several cycles of discharge and recharge, to condition
them. I think that helps them out a bit, but it should not be over used.
All batteries, and it does not matter which brand, have a limited number of
cycles in them, before they start to go bad.

Another thing I do, is to take the pack apart when it goes bad, and right
after charging, read each individual cell's voltage. It will be very
apparent that a few are totally zapped. If you have at least two bad packs,
you can remove the bad cells from one, borrow cells from the other, and have
a good battery pack, for a while, at least.

There is a battery shop in my area that you can take the packs too and
they will replace the cells for you. I believe it was $75 the last
time I priced having the cells replaced for an 18V battery pack and
that was for the higher Miliamp batteries. The owner said that he
gets a lot of contractors in to have the cells replaced with the
higher miliamp cells and they constantly brag about how much better
they are than the new ones off the shelf.- Hide quoted text -

Batteries Plus is a chain of shops that offers pack rebuilding (in
addition to having in stock just about anything you would want in the
way of batteries). Follow this link to locate a store near you:http://
www.batteriesplus.com/?CJPID=1457557

David Johnson
Old November 20th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Dave wrote:

Batteries Plus is a chain of shops that offers pack rebuilding (in
addition to having in stock just about anything you would want in the
way of batteries). Follow this link to locate a store near you:http://
www.batteriesplus.com/?CJPID=1457557

David Johnson

Therdo seem to have alot of batteries, but not the 9.6v Ryobi.
I'm babying this one for as long as ot lasts.
2 years old now.

Richard
Old November 20th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"cavelamb himself" wrote

Therdo seem to have alot of batteries, but not the 9.6v Ryobi.
I'm babying this one for as long as ot lasts.
2 years old now.

When it finally caves in, get out your Dremmel with a cutoff wheel, and cut
that pack open, and replace the cells with some good name cells, and then
seal the pack up with some JB Weld. Good as new. I have done several
surgeries like that, in the past. Works well.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 20th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Morgans wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote

Therdo seem to have alot of batteries, but not the 9.6v Ryobi.
I'm babying this one for as long as ot lasts.
2 years old now.

When it finally caves in, get out your Dremmel with a cutoff wheel, and cut
that pack open, and replace the cells with some good name cells, and then
seal the pack up with some JB Weld. Good as new. I have done several
surgeries like that, in the past. Works well.

Actually, I have a dead "spare".
But I haven't opened t yet.

It is held together with funny little Torx?
Star type screws with a tit in the middle.

I need to get a tool that fits and drill out the center.

And reassemble with normal phillips screws.

Might just give that a try.
It would sure be nice to have a spare again.

Richard

Old November 20th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"cavelamb himself" wrote

Actually, I have a dead "spare".
But I haven't opened t yet.

It is held together with funny little Torx?
Star type screws with a tit in the middle.

I need to get a tool that fits and drill out the center.

And reassemble with normal phillips screws.

Might just give that a try.
It would sure be nice to have a spare again.

You are in luck! You don't have to cut into it, then.

Those screws are called security screws, or safety screws, or something like
that.

The bits to fit those are available at Lowe's Lumber, and I suspect at other
big box stores, too.

I got them in the small bit size that fits in a 1/4" hex drive, with several
in a pack, but they were pretty cheap.

EVERY do-it-yourself-er worth there salt HAS to have a full set of those
things!

NOBODY is going to put a "closed-no entry" sign on a do-dad of mine! g
--
Jim in NC

Old November 20th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_5_]

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:22:31 -0600, in rec.aviation.homebuilt, cavelamb
himself wrote:

Actually, I have a dead "spare".
But I haven't opened t yet.

It is held together with funny little Torx?
Star type screws with a tit in the middle.

I need to get a tool that fits and drill out the center.

See if it's shown he http://www.lara.com/reviews/screwtypes.htm

Drivers for most of these are not difficult to buy. NAPA auto parts will
sell you a set of bits for security Torx screws for maybe $15 or so.

-Scott
Old November 20th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

I can not speak to the Lowes and Home Depot question, as I have never looked
for them there. However, good old Jensen Tools lives on at Stanley Supply &
Services with a web site at http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com/ and
"Tamper-Torx" sets are still in the catalog. Not dirt cheap, but I was
always pleased with everything I bought from Jensen.

Snap-On has them as well, at a price: YEEEOOOWWW !!!

Peter

Old November 20th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Sully" wrote in message

There is a battery shop in my area that you can take the packs too and
they will replace the cells for you. I believe it was $75 the last
time I priced having the cells replaced for an 18V battery pack and
that was for the higher Miliamp batteries. The owner said that he
gets a lot of contractors in to have the cells replaced with the
higher miliamp cells and they constantly brag about how much better
they are than the new ones off the shelf.

I bought a couple of new 18V replacement batteries for my Ryobis for just
$19 at Home Depot.

Old November 21st 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Morgans wrote:

[...]

Ok, I opened tha silly thing.

No idea what these cells are.
7/8" dia X almost 1-3/4" long
8 of 'em to make 9.6 volts for 1.2 volts each

They are marked DE38NF and NiCad

Pic at:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/proof.htm#batts

Any clues?

Richard
Old November 21st 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Could they be the sub-C size as quoted below from the Batteries America
website? (Says they are .91" in diameter and 1.69" in length.

KR-1300SC Sub C 1.2V 1300 mAh .910" 1.690"
1.56 $2.75 ea.BUY

http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage3.htm

Scott

cavelamb himself wrote:
Morgans wrote:

[...]

http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)

Tools ORVAL FAIRAIRN Home Built 24 September 12th 05 08:03 PM
Re.: Camloc Tools Greg Piney Home Built 0 May 4th 04 07:20 PM
BRS and other tools 2Poor2Fly4Real Piloting 1 April 23rd 04 06:41 PM
What tools do you take? Michael Horowitz Owning 31 March 8th 04 02:53 AM
What tools do you take? Michael Horowitz Home Built 14 March 4th 04 02:07 PM