DG Questions

Old October 29th 03, 01:48 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

I have no idea how I'm going to climb under there to actually see all
this -- but if my 60 year old, 220 pound A&P can do it, so can I, dang it!

I haven't tried it in a Piper, but the procedure in my Maule is to wriggle into
a position in which my head is lying against the rudder pedals and my legs are
over the back of the pilot's seat. Removing the pilot's seat helps a lot, but
it's a real pain in a Maule.

My biggest problem these days is raising my head in this position far enough
for my old eyes to focus on the back of the panel. You shouldn't have that
problem (yet).

George Patterson
You can dress a hog in a tuxedo, but he still wants to roll in the mud.
Old October 29th 03, 11:13 AM
Mark Mallory

Jay Honeck wrote:
Doesn't it seem just a little weird to lose both vacuum instruments in a six
week period? Is there any way my vacuum pump could still be putting out 5
inches of suction, and somehow sending junk into the instruments? Could the
AI failure last month have influenced the DG failure this month?

If the (dry) vacuum pump fails catastrophically, it can barf chunks of vane
material back into the regulator and instruments (the instrument cases act as
vacuum reservoirs, and will suck air back into them if the outlet pressure jumps
back to ambient.)

Also, some vacuum hoses are prone to deterioration with age and can shed junk
into the instrument inlets (especially if the hoses are flexed and/or wiggled,
as happens when an instrument is replaced):

http://www.avionicswest.com/myviewpo...umarticle.html

Old October 29th 03, 05:52 PM
Ross Richardson

George,

You have the visual problem also??? I thought it was just me.

Old October 29th 03, 10:33 PM
Jay Honeck

You have the visual problem also??? I thought it was just me.

Just in the last year, I have developed this issue -- and I discovered it
the LAST time I was under the panel.

I was trying to re-route my GPS antenna wire, and after turning myself
upside down and sideways, I realized that I couldn't focus well enough to
see what I was doing. Taking my glasses off -- usually the solution --
didn't help, cuz my clear-focal length is about 7 inches.

I also discovered that I could not extricate myself from under there without
experiencing grave pain. Next time, the seat IS coming out. I'm afraid
bi-focals are in my near future. (Mary started needing reading glasses a
couple of years ago, but still has 20/20 distance vision...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 29th 03, 10:37 PM
Jay Honeck

http://www.avionicswest.com/myviewpo...umarticle.html

Thanks, Mark -- great article.

It sure sounds like my A&P inadvertently cashed in my DG -- but we'll never
know for sure.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 30th 03, 12:35 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

I'm afraid bi-focals are in my near future.

Bifocals are not an optimal solution (though they seem to be the best the eye
docs can give us). However, I have a set of single-vision glasses that are
made especially for work at computers. They focus in the area between about two
feet and four feet away and have a special coating for dealing with glare. They
work fine for under the panel.

Old October 30th 03, 04:37 PM
Nathan Young

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:afXnb.57745$Fm2.35151@attbi_s04...
You have the visual problem also??? I thought it was just me.

Just in the last year, I have developed this issue -- and I discovered it
the LAST time I was under the panel.

I was trying to re-route my GPS antenna wire, and after turning myself
upside down and sideways, I realized that I couldn't focus well enough to
see what I was doing. Taking my glasses off -- usually the solution --
didn't help, cuz my clear-focal length is about 7 inches.

I also discovered that I could not extricate myself from under there without
experiencing grave pain. Next time, the seat IS coming out. I'm afraid
bi-focals are in my near future. (Mary started needing reading glasses a
couple of years ago, but still has 20/20 distance vision...)

Definitely take out the seat! Assuming the Pathfinder's seat tracks
are like my 180's - it takes all of 2 minutes to do. 4 screws and
slide the seat.

-Nathan
Old October 30th 03, 05:00 PM
COUGARNFW

The vision problem. I have had the glasses that have the upper half capable of
swinging down to add to the correction of the glasses and then a few years ago
my optometrist listened and found an item called an "opticaid", by Elroy
Products of Nyack NJ.

They attach to glasses and there are five powers one can get which give you
various working distances.

The protective packet the folded devices come in is about 3 X 4 inches and
maybe 5/8ths thick. Handy.

Even with bifocals, everyone forgets that, looking up you are still blind.

With these devices, you have your normal glasses, either simple or bifocal, and
the aid these give you.

One of those very handy devices I won't go under the "dash" without.

Neal
Old October 30th 03, 09:27 PM
Jay Honeck

Definitely take out the seat! Assuming the Pathfinder's seat tracks
are like my 180's - it takes all of 2 minutes to do. 4 screws and
slide the seat.

Actually 8 screws, but you're right -- it's an easy thing to do.

I just thought I could pop under there like I was 25 again. BIG mistake.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 31st 03, 03:11 AM
Nathan Young

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:vnfob.65164$e01.218689@attbi_s02...
Definitely take out the seat! Assuming the Pathfinder's seat tracks
are like my 180's - it takes all of 2 minutes to do. 4 screws and
slide the seat.

Actually 8 screws, but you're right -- it's an easy thing to do.

I just thought I could pop under there like I was 25 again. BIG mistake.

Ditto that, and I don't think 25 has anything to do with it - Just not
enough space. I spent several nights last week installing Nulites in
the panel of my 180. A few hours of that made me wonder how one could
be an avionics tech without first being a contortionist.

-Nathan