USA - Private Pilot glider tow compensation

Old November 14th 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
150flivver

Default USA - Private Pilot glider tow compensation

On Nov 14, 8:27*am, Scott wrote:
On 11-14-2010 13:50, 150flivver wrote:

On Nov 14, 2:53 am, Bruce *wrote:
On Nov 14, 6:03 am, *wrote:

No, you didn't get that wrong. *If you agreed to fly my aircraft to
the shop for its annual (I pay all the expenses, you just fly it) and
you did it, you had better be a commercial pilot if the FAA ever
questioned you on the circumstances surrounding the trip.

No, that's not true.

You just can't count the time towards a higher rating.

So I can fly cargo or give rides to paying customers

No, but you CAN "split expenses" as a private pilot when giving "rides".
* From the FAA website:

* (a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (h) of this section,
no person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in
command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for
compensation or hire; nor may that person, for compensation or hire, act
as pilot in command of an aircraft.

(b) Not applicable to this discussion

(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the
operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses
involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.

Nowhere does the FAA mention if the plane is someone else's aircraft,
etc. that it constitutes "commercial activity".

We're not discussing splitting costs or pro rata sharing of expenses.
Bruce Hoult wrote that one could be compensated for flying as a
private pilot (I'm paraphrasing) as long as the time wasn't logged or
used for a higher rating. I say he is wrong and that is not a valid
exception. Anybody can give away free flight time. It becomes a
commercial activity when I require you to do something in return for
something. If I say "take my airplane and fly it" that's not
compensation as I'm not asking anything in return. I'm giving away
flight time and a private pilot can legally accept the time and log
it. If I say "I need you to fly my airplane to my mechanic and I will
pay all your expenses," I have contracted with you to do something
which benefits me in return for free (to you) flight time which makes
this a quid pro quo "commercial" transaction. Getting something for
doing something is "compensation."