Nano logging issues

Old June 27th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Nano logging issues

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:45:39 PM UTC-5, Glen Kelley wrote:
On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:58:30 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
i will do that next flight, thanks! Perhaps it will fix my problem of not getting a Yellow Square too. And btw I must say i'm very thankful you responded. have had questions with multiple weeks worth of observations on Naviter's forum for the last 3 weeks and no response!

It would be nice if either the SYM or Nano manual mentioned this for those of us who aren't computer nerds.

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:20:50 PM UTC-5, Glen Kelley wrote:
Tony,

We are using 19,200. Things should be improved at the higher rate.

Glen

On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 6:25:07 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:18:59 PM UTC-5, Glen Kelley wrote:
Tony, are you sure you have SYM to receive BT/serial from the Nano? Slow wind computation is symtomati
c of oudie using its internal gps. Winds have been spot-on and fast using external gps.

yep i had the Oudie set to Serial (COM 4) with standard setting (4800, N, 1, 1 I think). I actually found that one time when I flew this year the wind calculations were faster without the external GPS! Is 4800 an appropriate baud rate? I can crank it up if anyone thinks it will help.

Tony,

I think it will help. We are have used a GPS16 puck through lxnav v7, and powerflarm through lxnav v7 - both at 19200 and winds are quick. We didn't have an external gps for a while and winds took forever and were often wrong. I'm sure the nano can handle something faster than 4800.

Glen

[...]

Glen, Yes the Nano goes up to 115,200 which seems high but the Oudie goes to 256,000 which must be the Baud Rate equivalent of 11? Set at 19,200 on both, we'll see how it does. I'm tempted to walk around in a drifting circle tomorrow after work and see if anyone notices...
Old June 27th 12, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glen Kelley[_2_]

Let me know how it goes...
Old June 28th 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tony,

The higher baud rate won't hurt, but it probably won't make any difference.
There is plenty of time for the Nano to send all its data every second at
4800 baud.

Paul Remde

Old July 1st 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Tony" wrote in message

[...]

with the 19,200 baud rate on the Nano and Oudie, I had a believable wind calculation in about 3 turns today. Thanks for the idea. Now if I can just figure out when that Yellow Box is supposed to show up...
Old July 1st 12, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glen Kelley[_2_]

What yellow box are you referring to?
Old July 1st 12, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:49:01 PM UTC-5, Glen Kelley wrote:
What yellow box are you referring to?

according to the SYM manual there is supposed to be a yellow box shown on your task line at the point where you can make a Mc0 glide to the finish. I get a green box for the final glide at the current Mc setting but no Yellow box.
Old July 1st 12, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Is there a possibility that;

1) GPS was out of service during this time period? Depending on where
you are flying, there may have been some military exercise going on.
Anyone else report something similar on the same day? But this would
only explain one but not several outages.

2) That something in your ship is causing the problem? Did you add
any electronic device lately? New cell phone? Suggest that you turn
off everything you don't need and see if the problem recurs.

Good luck.

- John
Old July 1st 12, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:11:57 PM UTC-5, JohnDeRosa wrote:
Is there a possibility that;

1) GPS was out of service during this time period? Depending on where
you are flying, there may have been some military exercise going on.
Anyone else report something similar on the same day? But this would
only explain one but not several outages.

2) That something in your ship is causing the problem? Did you add
any electronic device lately? New cell phone? Suggest that you turn
off everything you don't need and see if the problem recurs.

Good luck.

- John

John,

after the software update on the Nano and Oudie and setting baud rate to 19,200 on both the Nano actually started logging once per second and sending data to the Oudie once per second. I could tell while circling that the heading and information was updating much more rapidly than before.

Latest Nano update Ventus2NZ Soaring 6 May 22nd 14 02:46 AM
Nano declarations Mike C Soaring 5 April 25th 12 02:18 AM
Is it best to use an Oudie with a Calibri II or a LX Nano....? Michael Marshall Soaring 8 February 7th 12 04:58 PM
Lx NANO and Windows 7 fcnorton Soaring 9 April 2nd 11 02:45 AM
Nano Logger Ed Soaring 7 September 10th 10 08:32 PM