Parowan Results??

Old June 24th 12, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juliet11[_2_]

Default Parowan Results??

No results from Parowan in 2 ½ days.
Old June 24th 12, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

On Sunday, 24 June 2012 13:52:03 UTC-6, Juliet11 wrote:
No results from Parowan in 2 ½ days.

no flying Friday and Saturday. Task called for today but not seeing any action on the SPOT tracking page.
Old June 25th 12, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

SSA requires a daily report on the website whether they grid or not.
Old June 25th 12, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

I know, apologize for the lack of information. Friday and Saturday were blown out, saturday had winds in the upper 30's. We went out today with a great forecast with 7 kt lift to 19000. We called a task down to Jacob's Lake near the Grand Canyon and then North west to Colorado City, then North to Richfield area. As the day developed we had high wave like cirrus that caused a delay in the launch. We sent Karl Striedieck one of the advisors up to take a look and we then tasked to Bryce Canyon with about a 25 mile circle and then to Whiskey Knolls, Pole mt. and return with a max distance of about 270 miles. The cirrus kept moving over the area which caused us to reduce from 3 hours to 2.5 hours, still as you launched you were out of luck if the high cirrus thickened. We had several relights including the eventual winner, Karl Striedieck. Some pilots hit it right and just climbed out and others struggled mightily. Karl was reported to only have used 2 thermals to the second turn area. I heard some went to Escalante in the first area and others went over Wayne wonderland in the second. The difficult area coming home seemed to be from North of Beaver and we had 2 landouts in our valley, two near Junction and one near Beaver. Although the winning raw speeds were in the low 90's for 230 + miles others were much slower. We look for a better day tomorrow.

CD
Old June 25th 12, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike I Green

On 6/24/2012 8:01 PM, gkemp wrote:
[...]

Nice report Gary

MG

--
Mike I Green

Old June 25th 12, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Gary, are you guys using the NAM blipmap to do do the forecast? The 'total cloud cover' was showing the high clouds. This parameter works extremely reliable to predict high clouds. If there is large white area, there will be at least some high clouds.

Ramy
Old June 25th 12, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

Radius Distance
03 Start C 5.0 0.0 Min: 140.85
69 BryceCan 25.0 28.86 Nom: 285.77
23 Salina 30.0 121.76 Max: 443.55
77 Exit 42 30.0 252.46
09 Finish 1.0 285.77

4 hour minimum

Well, the forecast looks good and this is our first shot at a task this morning, we will see.

gary kemp CD
Old June 25th 12, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Monday, June 25, 2012 8:30:57 AM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:
Radius Distance
03 Start C 5.0 0.0 Min: 140.85
69 BryceCan 25.0 28.86 Nom: 285.77
23 Salina 30.0 121.76 Max: 443.55
77 Exit 42 30.0 252.46
09 Finish 1.0 285.77

4 hour minimum

Well, the forecast looks good and this is our first shot at a task this morning, we will see.

Looks good, task was approved by advisors and they are off and running for the first turn at Bryce Canyon. 4 hours.

gary kemp CD

Old June 26th 12, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

On Monday, June 25, 2012 1:05:38 PM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:
On Monday, June 25, 2012 8:30:57 AM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:
Radius Distance
03 Start C 5.0 0.0 Min: 140.85
69 BryceCan 25.0 28.86 Nom: 285.77
23 Salina 30.0 121.76 Max: 443.55
77 Exit 42 30.0 252.46
09 Finish 1.0 285.77

4 hour minimum

Well, the forecast looks good and this is our first shot at a task this morning, we will see.

Looks good, task was approved by advisors and they are off and running for the first turn at Bryce Canyon. 4 hours.

gary kemp CD

The task area, particularly south, dried out more than we expected but pilots were able to go deep into the first two turns and about half way into the last. The Southwest winds were a bit of a problem after turning North of Salina, but the area clear back to Parowan was marked by clouds. We had six landouts. Most pilots reported lift averaging 6-7 kts and occasional stronger. Cloud base was near 16K. I would expect winning speeds to be in the high 80's for the winners. (Raw). Check the scores when they are posted to the SSA website.
Old June 26th 12, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp

Well, when the wind blows me (265 lbs) off me feet it is time to scratch the day!!

Parowan [email protected] Soaring 0 July 9th 11 02:16 AM
Parowan Ed Byars Soaring 1 July 3rd 09 06:18 PM
Parowan Day 6 6-25 TomnKeyLargo Soaring 0 June 25th 04 11:43 PM
Parowan Day 4 6-23 TomnKeyLargo Soaring 0 June 24th 04 03:56 AM
Parowan, UT Thomas F. Dixon Soaring 1 July 29th 03 04:35 PM