MoGas users: Ethanol replacing MTBE

Old April 29th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default MoGas users: Ethanol replacing MTBE

To those who fly with STCs for motor fuel instead of avgas, is the
phase-out of MTBE affecting you? The federal government hasn't banned
MTBE outright (some individual states have) but will not protect oil
companies from MTBE lawsuits so MTBE is being phased out by next week in
most places. MTBE isn't the issue here, but ethanol is. Ethanol will
be replacing MTBE as an oxygenate and is also being promoted as a
(heavily subsidized) renewable energy mixed with gasoline. MTBE is
under political attack because it has been found in ground water where
gasoline has leaked from tanks.

(Apparently gasoline, benzene, toluene, naphthalene, ethanol, and other
pump gasoline ingredients don't bother people as much when they leak
from the same gasoline tanks, but that is understandable since the human
body can smell or taste MTBE in fare more quantities in drinking water
than these other carcinogenic contaminants.)

Many or most aircraft mogas STCs prohibit gasoline containing ethanol
due to its tendency to attack certain seals, gaskets, and parts in
aircraft fuel tanks, fuel systems, and engines. So for those of you who
use motor fuel in airplanes, is the lack of motor gasoline that doesn't
contain ethanol becoming a problem?

By the way ethanol contains less energy per gallon than gasoline. Enjoy!

Old April 29th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John wrote:

(Apparently gasoline, benzene, toluene, naphthalene, ethanol, and other
pump gasoline ingredients don't bother people as much when they leak
from the same gasoline tanks, but that is understandable since the human
body can smell or taste MTBE in fare more quantities in drinking water
than these other carcinogenic contaminants.)

Oops, that should say taste MTBE in *far more minute quantities in drinking
water*

Also if your local airport has a mogas pump, can they buy ethanol free
gasoline from their supplier?

Old April 29th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Another reason for high prices now, is that some states have
mandated a ratio of E85 to regular petroleum gasoline in
pump sales. But there is a shortage of alcohol so when they
run out of E85 they can't sell straight gasoline. Maybe the
President's lifting the EPA rules will also alter state law,
he is blamed for the shortage, hope he has the power to wave
a magic wand and fix the market shortage of refineries,
distillation plants and political unrest in the world. But
it isn't that easy.
First thing, build more refineries, second nuke IRAN so that
the uncertainty about the future supply will go away. It
will also remind a lot of people that it is better to fight
a nuclear war when only one side has the bomb. We will use
small, 3 to 300 kilo ton deep earth penetrating bombs to
take out the underground hardened factories with minimal
above ground damage or radiation release. As the Fonz said,
"You've got to hit someone every once in a while" to keep
your reputation.

Jim

Old April 29th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:

[...]

Not sure what nuking Iran has to do with motor fuel gas STCs for
aircraft.

Don't believe everything you here about "minimal" radiation release or
collateral damages either. And don't forget to duck when the favor is
returned. There are plenty of heavily contaminated nuclear horror shows
(NTS, Hanford, Rocky Flats, INEL, Oak Ridge, Savannah, etc) in the US
and they weren't even being used in attacks. Underground atomic bomb
testing (not to mention earlier open air tests) in Nevada have resulted
in large scale underground contamination, and those were drilled down a
lot deeper than any penetrating bomb could hope to optain. As far as
hitting someone once in a while, I believe the USA has done that quite
recently. It's worked great, hasn't it? Meanwhile I'm curious about
how increased use of ethanol in motor fuels is affecting aircraft that
use motor gas under an STC.

Old April 29th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John" wrote in message ...
Jim Macklin wrote:

[...]

Removing a complete nut case who is holding the wntire world hostage
(efficacy not yet determined).

Don't believe everything you here about "minimal" radiation release or
collateral damages either.

Okay, and we don't believe you either.

Old April 29th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt Barrow wrote:

"John" wrote in message ...
Jim Macklin wrote:

[...]

Huh? How is the whole world being held hostage? For example, please
explain how a person such as myself or a nation such as Russia is being held
"hostage." That's a pretty tall claim. Secondly, how would this nut case
removal actually be accomplished?
Start a nuclear war and the world's problems slip away? Please explain.

Don't believe everything you here about "minimal" radiation release or
collateral damages either.

Okay, and we don't believe you either.

Who is "we?" Using nuclear weapons doesn't disperse fissile products into
the environment.

Old April 29th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Should read

Old April 29th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John" wrote in message ...

Start a nuclear war and the world's problems slip away? Please explain.

Less people, less problems?

Old April 29th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yes, it is possible to buy mogas without ethanol or any of the other
additives. The self serve pumps at Platte Valley in Colorado have it.
They buy it from the refiner.

Old April 29th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

To those who fly with STCs for motor fuel instead of avgas, is the
phase-out of MTBE affecting you?

Not here in Iowa. We've still got plenty of non-alcohol-contaminated
regular unleaded gasoline.

Which is truly ironic, no? All this ethanol nonsense originated here,
with all of our heavily subsidized corn (that no one knew what else to
do with) -- and we (of all people!) aren't mandating its use.

Only in America!

(And speaking of Iran, I don't know about nuking them, but I would
support disarming them -- now. The thought of them -- or anyone like
them -- having nuclear weapons is truly horrific, and makes the Cold
War era seem tame and predictable by comparision.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ethanol mogas john smith Owning 16 May 2nd 06 01:30 PM
MoGas Long Term Test: 5000 gallons and counting... Jay Honeck Home Built 82 May 19th 05 02:49 PM
MoGas Long Term Test: 5000 gallons and counting... Jay Honeck Owning 87 May 19th 05 02:49 PM
Ethanol Powered Airplane Certified In Brazil Victor Owning 4 March 30th 05 09:10 PM