i think I flew into class c airspace accidentally withoutestablishing communication

Old January 26th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Default i think I flew into class c airspace accidentally withoutestablishing communication

On Jan 27, 3:10 am, Larry Dighera wrote:

and narked on a fellow pilot who was making an enquiry as to what
action he should pursue after he -might- have entered restricted
airspace.

What a nasty little person !
Old January 26th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
peter

On Jan 26, 10:00 am, Phil J wrote:
On Jan 26, 11:38 am, wrote:

I'm sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I was not concerned for
the safety of others. I am familiar with the area we were in, but I
made a serious mistake at night.

It strikes me that you really don't know whether or not you busted
Class C. If I was you I would try to find out for sure. If you
didn't enter Class C, then you are in the clear on this incident.

One thing to check would be whether the GPS you used maintained a
tracklog record of the flight. If so, that tracklog may still be
available and can be compared to the airspace maps of the area to
determine if any violation occurred.

Old January 26th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

wrote in message
tonight I went for a night flight with a buddy. We had a great trip
there, but on the way back he started fooling around with the GPS and
somehow I missed what he did. He changed our course to go straight
east instead of southeast. By the time I realized this...

Congratulations on your new rating. Welcome to the fraternity.

Let me guess... You hadn't plotted a course as part of your flight planning?
GPS is not a substitute for paper flight planning.

It is best to already know what course you are going to be flying, and for
how long, before you buckle yourself into the plane. That way, any big
difference between actual and what you had planned will be quickly detected.
Also, that leaves you prepared if your GPS goes TU, or if you just push the
wrong button. Following a bug on a moving map is great, but you need to have a
plan (including course lines) before your wheels leave the pavement. The
on-line AOPA flight planner is great for this, and produces kneeboard-sized
printouts that are a great start to your flight planning. Be sure to write in
frequencies for any fields that you may possibly fly near, divert to, or need to
communicate with.

Your examiner probably told you that your new SEL ticket was just a "license
to learn". Chalk up one lesson on flight planning.

Vaughn

Old January 26th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Jan 26, 1:26*pm, wrote:

I appreciate your criticism and I do realize that I made a lot of
mistakes from the moment I took off. *This experience made me more
aware of my responsibilities as a PIC, and I will be a lot more
prepared from now on when I fly.- Hide quoted text -

This is the best kind of learning experience. Nobody got hurt and
nothing got broken. Plus, since you had the courage to share it here,
other newbies like me can learn from it also. Thanks for posting!

Phil

Old January 26th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:38:17 -0800 (PST), wrote
in
:

And why on Earth would someone put my name in the thread?

Actually, you put your name is in the 'From:' field of the message you
originally posted yourself. If you have concerns about revealing your
identity, you should take steps to conceal it.

That just seems uncalled for.

It was intended as a slap in the face to get your attention. It's
clear your CFI wasn't able to impart the significance of becoming an
airman to you. That is an area of flight training the FAA seems to
have virtually overlooked. Becoming an airman is (or should be) a
life-changing experience.

It's evident from your post, that you don't yet clearly appreciate
your role in navigating the skies. You are an airman now. If the
_responsibility_ associated with that hasn't dawned on you yet, it
will as you build experiences like the one you related.

You are Pilot In Command! Those with whom and over whom you fly rely
upon YOUR judgment to keep them safe, and that demands that you comply
with regulations ALL THE TIME. If you fail to do that, you have
failed in your responsibility to yourself, your passenger, and all of
your fellow airmen who share the sky with you.

Flying is not a hobby; it serious business, life-and-death business.
If your assessment of the weather forecast for the flight is an issue,
will you have the courage to stand steadfast in your refusal to fly
your companions home from Las Vegas in time for them to clock-in at
work? Or will you permit their complaints to influence you to do
something you know is wrong? They will push you mercilessly to
depart, but tacitly they expect you to keep them safe. You'll have to
firmly assume command of the situation and do what you know is right.
Give it some thought. Please.

Old January 26th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:37:43 -0800, Mike Flying 8
wrote:

You have got to be kidding me... Are you for real?

Awful! Totally lame!

What possible purpose would that post serve?

Old January 26th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

george wrote:
On Jan 27, 3:10 am, Larry Dighera wrote:

and narked on a fellow pilot who was making an enquiry as to what
action he should pursue after he -might- have entered restricted
airspace.

What a nasty little person !

What makes you think he's a person? That is an insult to persons
everywhere! :-)
Old January 26th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Larry Dighera wrote:

You are Pilot In Command!

And you are a idiot!