Small Continental Oil Press???

Old June 13th 04, 06:04 PM
Paul Anton

Default Small Continental Oil Press???

What can anyone tell me about "loss of oil pump prime" on a small
Continental?

I have heard of it in the past and it has happened to me.

The engine in question is a C-85 that has been very recently overhauled to
new limits. The case and accessory case was overhauled by ECI. New oil pump
gears, oil pressure relief plunger, etc etc.

It has an oil filter adapter that mounts where the oil cooler would mount.

I drained the oil and filled the sump immediately, the filter came off a day
or so later and a new filter was put on. Now the engine sat for ten days to
two weeks before starting. No oil pressure on start up. Gage is just fine,
it really is a case of no oil pressure.

At the same time I was doing the same thing to an 0-200 configured the same
way with the STC oil filter. About the same time lapsed between replacing
the filter and starting the engine. Oil pressure came up on 15 seconds.

An annual was being done on two planes at the same time. This accounts for
the delay on the oil filter change and the start up.

Why did the pump loose its prime? How best to get the prime back? What can I
do to prevent this in the future.

I suspect the oil filter mount has a great deal to do with this problem.

Any enlightening comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul Anton

Old June 13th 04, 06:24 PM
Cy Galley

The filter plate is so far from the oil pump that it is not a factor. Some
times one can "prime" the pump by tipping the plane on its nose for about 30
seconds. Don't let the cowl touch the ground. The other way is to remove
the gage fitting and pump oil into the hole. Reattach and start.

Did you use a new pump cover or just the old one? I would talk to ECI if
they did all you said they did.

--
Cy Galley - Chair, Emergency Aircraft Repair
Safety Programs Editor - TC

Old June 13th 04, 08:42 PM
jls

"Paul Anton" wrote in message
What can anyone tell me about "loss of oil pump prime" on a small
Continental?

I have heard of it in the past and it has happened to me.

Only way it can happen imho is if there's slop in the oil pump, i. e., the
cover and/or pump wells are wallowed out or too much wear in the gears and
bushings. I bet if you pulled the rear case you'd find something out of
tolerance. Check your gear lash too, with feeler gauges and a dial
indicator.

I had an A-65 that would do that. The rear case is magnesium, same material
as the C-85's. Every time I cranked it-- even the next day -- I would have
to raise the tail to prime it. When I tore that engine down the shafts,
gears, cover, and bushings were all out and so were the wells. When I
overhauled it I had to replace the rear case and the gears and cover, an
expensive proposition. Before it went back together I miked everything to
make sure of tolerances required in the overhaul manual. Those tolerances
are unforgiving.

I just tore into a C-85 needing overhauling. One of the oil pump shafts is
scored all to hell. We'll see how much more slop there is in it. The
cylinders of this engine, used on an experimental, are fried, probably
because of the crappy baffling and baffle seals.

Best wishes. I have almost 200 hours on the A-65 now and she is a real
trooper, although the ECI cermichrome cylinders are predicted to die early.
Only trouble so far --- a blown exhaust gasket which made everybody on the
field think the engine was sick.

Old June 14th 04, 03:23 AM
Bob Olds

" jls" wrote in message ...
"Paul Anton" wrote in message
[...]

I used to have the same problem with my Taylorcraft/Cont. A-75. If I
drained the oil and cleaned the screen and didn't run it as soon as I
put the oil back in it wouldn't prime the pump if it sat for a day or
two. I would have to pump oil into the oil temp fitting or somewhere
on the accessory case where I could get oil into the oil passages.
This happened a couple of times before I figured out the cause. NO
more problem if I refilled and ran it afterward.

Bob Olds A&P
Charleston,Arkansas

Help ! SMALL Radial engine Chris Wertman Home Built 12 July 18th 05 02:46 PM
Press fit numbers? Boelkowj Home Built 1 April 29th 04 06:51 PM
Continental 0-200 Robert Home Built 0 April 3rd 04 03:08 AM
CBS News- Small Airport Security 1/14 Wed RDA Home Built 24 January 22nd 04 05:30 PM
Oops; made gap too small Michael Horowitz Home Built 3 December 3rd 03 05:24 AM