(US) New Process for Student Pilot Certificate Issue

Old April 3rd 16, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Ballou

Default (US) New Process for Student Pilot Certificate Issue

On Saturday, April 2, 2016 at 4:06:09 PM UTC-7, N97MT wrote:
Yup. Based on my experience with my daughter in IACRA almost two years ago, under the old rules, it was pretty clear to me that this would happen. See RAS post "New Student Pilot certificates".

All they need to do is change the IACRA app to allow Student Pilot application dates up to x number of days before first solo and endorse the certificate "NOT VALID UNTIL (age eligibility date)".

Curious to hear what the actual turnaround time will be. FAA says 3 weeks.. I don't believe it yet.

Your idea is a good one ("Not valid until . . ."). It seems to me that the solution is an easy one. The requirements for solo are student pilot certificate in hand (Not valid until . . .), 14 years of age or older, self certifying medical, AND A CFIG ENDORSEMENT. The student must have all 4 to solo. I sense this may be a control issue and the FAA not trusting the CFI's with the responsibility and authority they earned. What is not so simple is to get the FAA to go along with this so the certificates can be processed in time for that 14th birthday celebration.
Old April 3rd 16, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
IA DPE

I sense this may be a control issue and the FAA not trusting the CFI's with the responsibility and authority they earned. What is not so simple is to get the FAA to go along with this so the certificates can be processed in time for that 14th birthday celebration.

"You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" Robert Heinlein

This new requirement is a result of 9/11- it just took this long for the FAA to get around to it. I suspect that no one in the FAA gave any thought to 14 yr olds soloing gliders- they're so used to power pilots soloing at 16, and very few on their birthday.

Hopefully a work around can be reached.
Old April 3rd 16, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 9:47:40 AM UTC-6, Robert Ballou wrote:
[...]

Robert. I think you have it reversed, the solution is simple, not easy. Like weight loss, just eat less and exercise more, simple, but not easy;^).

So the FAA has IACRA. Presumably it resulted from a competitive bid contract and had multiple revisions in the specification and rewrites. Changing the student application dates for both glider and power students in the database schema is probably doable at a co$t. I see the rule and a correction were published in the Federal Register in January and February. See
https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...n-requirements.

Fund$ for modifications and oversights may or may not be in the budget. The SSA is hot on the heels of the AOPA request. I hope that it is seen as important to those who had oversight and lacked the insight to include this in the initial schema. I hope both are seen as the same request, just different ages and categories. We'll see. I'm hoping for a positive outcome.

Frank Whiteley
Old April 10th 16, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Update. Seems to be working. Turns out the student had missed something in the application. Fixed it and I now have actions to complete and submit. Student forgot his IACRA password today, so we didn't wrap up at the field.. But, as soon as we are both logged in it looks like it should work.
Old April 11th 16, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT

Please keep us posted on the turnaround time from application to certificate receipt in the mail.

I just got another Ground Instructor certificate. That one took 4 weeks from acceptance at the FSDO to receipt in the mail.
Old April 28th 16, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Faris

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 6:22:18 AM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:
As I understand it, effective April 1 there is a new process for issuance of Student Pilot Certificates. Have any glider operations obtained clarification from their local FSDO or investigated the process on IACRA? I'm especially curious about how I (as a CFI-G) "accept" the application in the new process (see below table). Any insights or help appreciated, as we have a couple of folks who should be getting ready for solo by late Spring, and it looks like the new process could take a while to complete.

http://download.aopa.org/advocacy/16...46244.14573146

Two weeks ago my student submitted an application for a certificate and just received it yesterday. So, at least in this case, the process worked well.
Bob Faris
Old May 2nd 16, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

I was able to complete a student pilot application yesterday. Student and instructor have to be able to log in at the same time. The AC is helpful, as it spells out the various stuff you both have to do and accept. Bottom line - the clock started running at about noon yesterday. I'll update the group when the Student Pilot certificate shows up.

p3
Old May 5th 16, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 5:22:18 AM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:
As I understand it, effective April 1 there is a new process for issuance of Student Pilot Certificates.

We got one in hand here in two weeks from the time of IACRA completion. I guess FAA doesn't want to take too much more flack on this one . . . . it's working.

Cindy B
in Santa Ynez many weekends and
doing six weeks of kid solo camps this summer !

Old May 16th 16, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

As of friday the status changed from Pending to something like Registry - DOCS Complete. So, two weeks out and stuff is happening. No student certificate in hand yet though...
Old February 1st 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 9:04:43 AM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:
As of friday the status changed from Pending to something like Registry - DOCS Complete. So, two weeks out and stuff is happening. No student certificate in hand yet though...

When did it finally arrive?