Becker AR3201 Squelch

Old September 28th 16, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Becker AR3201 Squelch

I'm having similar squelch issues as the Dittel post with my Becker AR3201. Which direction do you adjust the squelch to reduce noise? Manual shows where the adjustment is located but does not explain adjustments.

Gary C.
Old September 29th 16, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 10:58:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm having similar squelch issues as the Dittel post with my Becker AR3201. Which direction do you adjust the squelch to reduce noise? Manual shows where the adjustment is located but does not explain adjustments.

Gary C.

It has been said before for the Dittel but applies to all radios: be careful before degrading the range and reception of your radio by changing the squelch break level. First turn off other elt. items such as vario, computer, Flarm etc. and make sure they are not making RF noise. My Vertica nav computer was the culprit and it was remedied by putting a choke on to the cable feeding it.
Old October 10th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

If you have USB type charger (for PDA, phone, etc) many of these are notorious for breaking squelch.
Old January 30th 17, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 9:58:34 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I'm having similar squelch issues as the Dittel post with my Becker AR3201. Which direction do you adjust the squelch to reduce noise? Manual shows where the adjustment is located but does not explain adjustments.

Gary C.

Thanks to all for comments on my problem. To potentially help others, here is what I have done and what corrected the problem. Special thanks to Richard at Craggy.
1) Isolated problem to a new electronic vario by turning on each device with squelch off listening for increase in static. Also tested in flight by turning new vario off and having radio no longer break squelch.
2) Separated the power wiring to isolate radio wiring from all other devices. Did not resolve squelch problem.
3) Added ferrite cores to all instrument power wires. No joy.
4) Finally resolution was to increase squelch on radio by turning squelch adjustment pot counter-clockwise 1/8 turn.

I think it is a good assumption that a 1980s radio was not designed with concern for other device interference issues.

Used Becker AR4201 and AR3201 [email protected] Soaring 3 February 28th 17 08:29 AM
Becker AR3201 Lazarost Soaring 3 March 26th 13 07:16 AM
Becker AR3201 [email protected] Soaring 4 April 6th 09 11:15 PM
Wanted: Becker AR3201 Ira Blieden Soaring 0 December 14th 06 07:28 PM
Looking for a Becker AR3201 Ira Blieden Soaring 0 December 8th 06 02:38 PM