Average OLC flown distance by glider

Old January 18th 17, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DG300PI

Default Average OLC flown distance by glider

Interesting to see these figures but wat do they actually mean?
- the high-end gliders are more often flown by high-end pilots
- what has to be taken into account is the number of gliders per type that are present in certain locations with good, average or less good gliding conditions.
For example, no one ships his/hers Ka8 to Namibia or Australia to fly distance records and you will typically find the more experienced pilots over there.
Old January 18th 17, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 8:16:51 AM UTC+13, Jacopo Romei wrote:

Coming down the pipeline:
- longest flight
- average flight year by year in the past

I'm eager to see what the most successful pilots has done in one of the most reviled gliders (PW-5). I'd also like to see the longest flight in each year as this glider has fallen out of grace, and whether less successful pilots are flying it every year. Or maybe the average and longest flights will stay constant over time?

Old January 18th 17, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

On 17/01/2017 23:44, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:

I think he means "marque" as in "specific model" like a mini Nimbus.

Exactly, thanks. For an extreme example, try compare a K8 with a
Monerai, Apis 13m and a PW5.

Or for a more useful example, compare a mini Nimbus with an Ls3.

Can you pull those flights into a database with a report function for
asking queries?

It is a nice fresh approach for a gliding website!

Ian

Old January 18th 17, 08:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 7:54:08 AM UTC+3, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 8:16:51 AM UTC+13, Jacopo Romei wrote:

Coming down the pipeline:
- longest flight
- average flight year by year in the past

I'm eager to see what the most successful pilots has done in one of the most reviled gliders (PW-5). I'd also like to see the longest flight in each year as this glider has fallen out of grace, and whether less successful pilots are flying it every year. Or maybe the average and longest flights will stay constant over time?

At 156 km in his database, it's beating the ASK-21 and Grob 103, which everyone loves.
Old January 18th 17, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

Hello DG300PI,

thanks for letting your concern emerge. This is key to validate my choices.

Interesting to see these figures but wat do they actually mean?
- the high-end gliders are more often flown by high-end pilots

I agree: as obvious as it may sound, no glider "gets there" alone and every ship is usually matched by a pilot with related skills.
This is *exactly* the information I want to show. GliderReview was born to help inexperienced pilots like me navigate the ocean of available gliders. According to this vision, knowing that a glider is usually flown far tells me at least two things:
- it is a glider capable of supporting a pilot able to get that far
- it is a glider that pilots *that* good *nowadays* choose to get that far
I expect both these measures to imply a higher price for the glider.

- what has to be taken into account is the number of gliders per type that are present in certain locations with good, average or less good gliding conditions.

We can re-apply by analogy the same logic he
if a glider has a high average because it is usually flown in Namibia, that means again that it is a glider worth bringing there, thus usually a higher-end ship.

For example, no one ships his/hers Ka8 to Namibia or Australia to fly distance records and you will typically find the more experienced pilots over there.

This is *the* point, not a counterargument: coherently you'll find Ka8 much cheaper than JS1 ;-)

To conclude: I don't need to understand the intimate cause-effect relationship between an indicator and a phenomenon, as long as it lets me understand *a part* of the effects.

As a recap: if a glider is usually flown shorter, it will tend to cost less.

Thank you again!
Would you like to write the review for the DG-300? :-)

Ciao

--
Jacopo

Old January 18th 17, 10:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

son_of_flubber,

I'm eager to see what the most successful pilots has done in one of the most reviled gliders (PW-5).

:-D I am eager too, but still GliderReview won't be covering all the possible data permutations about a glider, because its aim is *not* to be the next (and overlapping) "Glidopedia" but a tool to help choosing a glider to buy.

Stay tuned, though! :-)
Old January 18th 17, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 1:45:11 PM UTC+3, Jacopo Romei wrote:
[...]

I dunno. Booming thermals, high cloudbase -- you could probably do 1000km in a PW5 in Namibia if you just took one there.
Old January 18th 17, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

At 156 km in his database, it's beating
the ASK-21 and Grob 103, which everyone loves.

Yes Bruce.
This is the *exactly* the "coup de théâtre" I am looking for by letting everybody compare this data among gliders.

Try enjoying the comparing featu
http://www.gliderreview.com/comparin...arszawska-pw-5

Obviously that doesn't necessarily mean that ASK 21 is harder to fly far than PW 5 -- because ASK 21's average could be affected by many other factors -- but it *definitely* means that PW 5 is capable of flights *that* long, which may be unexpected for a rookie like me listening to rumors only.

A good mix of opinions, rumors and data: that's what I am looking for by means of GliderReview. Enjoy!

[I need reviews! ;-) http://www.gliderreview.com/write-a-review]

Ciao

--
Jacopo
Old January 18th 17, 11:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jacopo Romei

I dunno. Booming thermals, high cloudbase -- you
could probably do 1000km in a PW5 in Namibia
if you just took one there.

You could, right.
But reality is narrower: usually no one does.
Last but not least: when coping with normal averages, still possible exceptions are averaged out, by definition.

What could happen in theory is one thing, I see your point. What *usually* happens is what I care most for GliderReview.