What Is Wrong With OLC?

Old January 29th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default What Is Wrong With OLC?

Skylines is so much better, with a much more user friendly site.
Unfortunately it's not as well used so there is not as much opportunity
to compare with others and, hopefully, learn something.

Either that or they just don't like me...

On 1/29/2017 2:56 AM, Jim White wrote:
What is wrong with OLC - You don't have to declare a task first! Couldn't
resist.

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 29th 17, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Sunday, 29 January 2017 19:02:40 UTC+2, jfitch wrote:
On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 10:55:31 PM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
What's really wrong with OLC is that they do not separate pure glider performance from motorglider flights, and that they use DAeC handicaps that are not designed to handicap different classes, in addition of doing crappy job of handicapping anything at all.

They should also separate flights with ground crew and those without.

Why is that? You think flying motorglider/sustainer compares to being 200km from home in pure glider at 6 o'clock?
Old January 29th 17, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Have you checked that the link that you've bookmarked is not the 2016 version? I had similar issues with not being on the current year as the link changes every year. Granted it is mostly veiwing daily results but worth looking at.
Old January 29th 17, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

When I click on "Daily Score" it comes up with today's date. I don't
see anything in my bookmarked link
(http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0..._jsp=rules_olc)
which indicates for which year it is meant. Can you supply your link?
I'd be happy to give it a shot.

Old January 29th 17, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 8:25:07 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I was unaware of that!Â* So I followed your instructions and, voila:

An Error has occurred!

A Competitor with
this name and birthday already exists.Â*Forgot
your password?

If you are positive you have the correct email, wouldn't this error message mean that you are using the wrong user name? "This name" referring to your pilot name. Just a guess...
Old January 29th 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 11:47:07 -0700, Dan Marotta
wrote:

When I click on "Daily Score" it comes up with today's date. I don't
see anything in my bookmarked link
(http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0..._jsp=rules_olc)
which indicates for which year it is meant. Can you supply your link?
I'd be happy to give it a shot.

Hi Dan,

I see all your flights up to Jan 12th, 2017.

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...=44325&sp=2017
Old January 30th 17, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 9:53:15 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
On Sunday, 29 January 2017 19:02:40 UTC+2, jfitch wrote:
On Saturday, January 28, 2017 at 10:55:31 PM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
What's really wrong with OLC is that they do not separate pure glider performance from motorglider flights, and that they use DAeC handicaps that are not designed to handicap different classes, in addition of doing crappy job of handicapping anything at all.

They should also separate flights with ground crew and those without.

Why is that? You think flying motorglider/sustainer compares to being 200km from home in pure glider at 6 o'clock?

Do you think being 200 km from home at 6 o'clock with no retrieve crew compares to being there with a full crew in chase?

A motorglider flown responsibly has only two advantages over a pure glider, both conveniences and neither a performance advantage: 1) No need to wait for your turn for the tow plane, and 2) no need to enlist a chase crew for flights with the possibility of a landout. Against these is the very real and substantial performance handicap of not being able to vary wing loading as much or at all.

Sorry to have to hijack the thread to rehash the tired old arguments yet again. Hire (or marry and spawn) a chase crew or buy a motorglider and stop whining. I am happy to have OLC lump those two together, separate from those leaving home with a pure glider, naked, if you like.
Old January 30th 17, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Nice guess, but I've been using the same username and password for about
4 years. I simply type the letter "d" in the username field and the
rest of my username and password are filled in automatically. I get
logged in, but can not claim flights.

Maybe they've come to dislike Chrome? I'll try Firefox or that new
browser that comes with Windows 10.

On 1/29/2017 3:13 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 8:25:07 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I was unaware of that! So I followed your instructions and, voila:

An Error has occurred!

A Competitor with
this name and birthday already exists. Forgot

Old January 30th 17, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Correct. I was not able to claim those flights in the usual way. I had
to use the claim pull down, WHILE NOT LOGGED IN, enter my name and date
of birth, igc file and complete the claim. Until yesterday that would
work. Now not even that works.

Old January 30th 17, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Tried it with Microsoft Edge and got identical results. It logs me in
but won't let me do anything.

On 1/29/2017 3:13 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 8:25:07 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I was unaware of that! So I followed your instructions and, voila:

An Error has occurred!

A Competitor with
this name and birthday already exists. Forgot
your password?

If you are positive you have the correct email, wouldn't this error
message mean that you are using the wrong user name? "This name"
referring to your pilot name. Just a guess...

--
Dan, 5J

What Is Wrong With OLC? Dan Marotta Soaring 5 June 15th 16 03:05 AM
What could possibly go wrong? Ralph Jones[_3_] Soaring 23 January 18th 13 08:03 PM
what went wrong Dick[_1_] Home Built 14 August 10th 07 03:48 AM
what am I doing wrong gt[_2_] Aviation Photos 8 June 4th 07 01:49 AM
Wrong Vario!!! Mike Hostage Soaring 0 March 30th 05 01:39 AM