Schempp-Hirth 'Standard Austria' control surface balancing

Old July 10th 12, 10:26 PM
Matt G. Matt G. is offline
Junior Member

Default Schempp-Hirth 'Standard Austria' control surface balancing

Does anyone have any information regarding a balance spec for the ailerons and all-flying tail for the Schempp-Hirth Austria gliders? I'm refurbishing an SH-1 and I'd really like to make sure that the balance of the control surfaces is still OK since several layers of paint are being replaced with one new layer and some repairs have been made. The US Schempp-Hirth dealer, M&H soaring has been no help, and emails directly to Schempp-Hirth have gone unreturned. I've polled several other people who own an Austria and nobody seems to know the answers.
Old July 11th 12, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Entwisle

--
Matt G.

Hi Matt
you could try the UK main agent - Southern Sailplanes
email address is they've
been very helpful with any info regarding our SHK.

Mike

Old July 13th 12, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:26:44 AM UTC-7, Mike Entwisle wrote:
At 21:26 10 July 2012, Matt G. wrote:

>Does anyone have any information regarding a balance
spec for the
>ailerons and all-flying tail for the Schempp-Hirth Austria
gliders? I'm
>refurbishing an SH-1 and I'd really like to make sure that
the balance
>of the control surfaces is still OK since several layers of
paint are
>being replaced with one new layer and some repairs
have been made. The
>US Schempp-Hirth dealer, M&H soaring has been no help,
and emails
>directly to Schempp-Hirth have gone unreturned. I've
polled several
>other people who own an Austria and nobody seems to
know the answers.

>--
>Matt G.

Hi Matt
you could try the UK main agent - Southern Sailplanes
email address is they've
been very helpful with any info regarding our SHK.

Mike

There might not be any specs on your Austria, The H-301 Libelle never had any specs and an AD was published that said to weigh each control surface and the trailing edge weight and use that info as the specs for each bird. Removing several layers of paint is always good because it reduces the GW and TE weights.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old August 3rd 12, 03:21 AM
Matt G. Matt G. is offline
Junior Member

Hi JJ,

Didn't see this until now...I thought I was supposed to get emails when someone posted in threads I'm subscribed to. Anyway, that looks like what I'm going to have to do. Mike's suggestion didn't work out; Southern Sailplanes couldn't dig up any information for me.

Schempp-Hirth 2a/2b cockpit fit vs ASW-20? [email protected] Soaring 14 April 9th 12 01:46 PM
FS Schempp-Hirth Standard Austria Tim Hanke Soaring 0 October 9th 09 02:42 PM
schempp-hirth shk-1 shkdriver Soaring 3 September 5th 08 03:38 AM
FS: Schempp-Hirth Standard Austria Tim Hanke Soaring 0 June 24th 08 02:47 PM
Schempp-Hirth Mel Dawson Soaring 0 February 15th 06 04:08 PM