Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Old March 17th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
cavedweller wrote:
On Mar 17, 5:03 pm, WJRFlyBoy wrote:

---------some snipping---------

"I hesitate to add to this discussion because I'm not an instructor,
just a rather slow student who's not qualified to give advice that
might kill someone."- Hide quoted text -

But you said, upthread, "..but it's not like I haven't had a few
hundred hours in single/twin in the left seat." Sorry to quibble but
I confuse easily, you see.....

MS Flight Sim

I was thinking "shades of JFK Jr" but you are more likely right.

Old March 18th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
gatt[_2_]

"WJRFlyBoy" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:20:12 -0700, gatt wrote:

Buncha developers getting their asses handed to them in Oregon.

Not so much the case in FL but I have seen the same kind of disdain for
the environment and it is a f***ing shame.

Yeah. I didn't mean this to be an attack on developers as a whole, but,
there are some real predatorial land-raper dirtbags out here that came up
with a bunch of money and screwed a whole lot of people out of their own,
leaving the local economy and culture to deal with the debris. In our
neighborhood they got bought up a bunch of land, got approval to subdivide
lots, built and sold giant snouthouses and now the neighborhood is twice as
crowded, property values are dropping and these guys have long ago sold out,
collected their cash and moved on to plunder somebody else's community.

The airport/airpark business is a tough development mark to hit. It is
highly specialized, noise, post 9/11 fears, drug trafficking, high
liabilities, difficult financing, the list is long.

Fascinating that "post 9/11 fears" and drug trafficking are concerns. The
latter could be said for low-rent housing, condos, college apartments, etc,
but the 9/11 thing is weird. I'm positive there's more methamphetamine and
marijuana trafficing in the hundreds or thousands lower-middle-class
apartments that have popped up around Evergreen than there was coming
through the airstrip itself.

-c

Old March 18th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
WJRFlyBoy wrote:

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:00:14 -0400, Orval Fairbairn wrote:

I develop real estate with a slant to the niche, luxury market place
(beach, bay, waterfront at the present.) In my area of SW FL, there is
only one airpark and, imo, it's not up to what folks want.

The picture that I am getting is that "WJRFlyBoy" has a vested interest
in shutting down the airpark at North Captiva. Just how many new
(expe$sive) home$ can he build there if he can force the place to close?

None would be my answer. The last thing I would want is to

1) have my named attached to a closing then
2) Have my name attached to a new development.
3) Raise public (incorrect) perceptions to the safety issues
4) Have my name attached to a new development.

In a previous posting I recited one of my criteria for an airpark place
to live: "Big enough to defend itself when the Philistines attack." Is
"WJRFlyBoy" one of those Philistines?

lol

North Captiva is small, apparently with only 20-30 homes there.

Many more than that.

The
residents would have to shell out a lot of money in lawyers' fees if
somebody mounted a strong movement against them.

They got it, I doubt there are any homes under $1M

The Chicken Littles
would pour out of the woodwork, crying "The sky is FALLING!" In steps
Mr. Foxy Loxy, promising to develop houses on the site, if only they can
get rid of those pesky, dangerous airplanes.

So much for the above, Orval.

If you are telling the truth, please accept my apologies.

I have seen too many airport battles where developers have stirred
things up withthe "natives" in order to destroy airports in the name of
"safety."

Old March 18th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

gatt wrote:
"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

So have I, when the players behind the scene are developers.

Buncha developers getting their asses handed to them in Oregon. They came
out, developed everything--still are--as fast as possible pretty much ruined
the landscape. From the tree nursery I grew up on up on the hill east of
Troutdale, you can see the development spreading across the landscape like
mold on cheese. The first wave is bulldozers and homes most Oregonians
can't afford. The second wave involves gang grafitti, increased vandalism
and armed robbery, rising crime statistics, falling property values and huge
new homes all around our farm built by the people who "develop" Portland.

But, hey, I have an 1951 800-square-foot home appraised at $160,000 and gang
activity a mile or so down the road, so, we're genuinely Californicated and
ought to be thankful for their plundering of the community. Property
values are staying up out here but they'll fall because none of the locals
can afford to live here anymore and people from out of state can't sell
their land and move here cheaply.

They shut down NWPilot's historical old grass strip airport for development.
Last time I drove by, it's closed, but the field itself is still
undeveloped. 'Course with the huge condos all around so close to the
airport that they required red lights on the roof, it's no surprise that
complaints against the airport exploded and the outside developers were able
to make a case to shut it down.

-c

Where abouts are you located, gatt?

We are looking at a possible move up to the Portland area this summer.

Richard
Old March 18th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Noel

In article ,
cavedweller wrote:

But you said, upthread, "..but it's not like I haven't had a few
hundred hours in single/twin in the left seat." Sorry to quibble but
I confuse easily, you see.....

I know a CFII who always flies from the right seat, even when solo.
So his wife has probably close to a thousand hours in the left
seat (but never did get her pilot certificate).

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old March 18th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Highflyer

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
William Hung wrote in
:

The Kitfox reminds me of the Coupe.

Bunyip:

It's supposed to, the bump cowl and such. But it's nothing like it,
really. For one thing, the 'coupe wasn't built like lawn furniture.. And
a 'coupe with a two stroke? Shudder!

Bertie

If you want to see a "modern" homebuilt version of the Monocoupe take a look
at the "Mullicoupe" that were designed by Jim Younkin. It looks like a
"standoff" scale model of the clipwing Monocoupe with the Warner radial
engine. Actually it is somewhat larger, being basically a two place
version of Ike Howard's "Mr. Mulligan" racer, which later became the Howard
series of airplanes. Jim built a Mr. Mulligan replica which goes like
blazes. Bud Dake had a lovely Warner Monocoupe and wanted something a bit
bigger. Jim told me he used a lot of Howard in the Mullicoupe. Bud told me
that the pilot visibility in the Mullicoupe was a lot better than in the
Monocoupe. The Mullicoupe was powered by a 450 HP R-985 Pratt and Whitney
so it had the power to get up an go. It would cruise at well over 200 mph.
I never got to fly it before Bud was killed in an unfortunate crash with his
Monocoupe at St. Louis a few years ago.

Highflyer

Old March 18th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Highflyer

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

All it takes is a little collar on the pitot tube (and a bit of tweaking
the position)

That is how we calibrate the airspeed indicator to get it reading with
reasonable accuracy. Old CG himself taught me that one. :-)

Of course, nowadays, you have to tweak the GPS also!

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport, PJ Y

Old March 18th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Mar 17, 8:46*pm, Bob Noel
wrote:
In article ,

*cavedweller wrote:
But you said, upthread, "..but it's not like I haven't had a few
hundred hours in single/twin in the left seat." * Sorry to quibble but
I confuse easily, you see.....

I know a CFII who always flies from the right seat, even when solo.
So his wife has probably close to a thousand hours in the left
seat (but never did get her pilot certificate).

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

AND NEITHER HAS FLYBOY

See Below:

1. WJRFlyBoy View profile
More options Feb 28, 4:11 am

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting
From: WJRFlyBoy
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 04:11:04 -0500
Subject: The Differences Between PPLicensing And Learning
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author
I have been reading the various threads about spins, forced landings,
etc
and talking with CFIs. The road to a PPL is preset in requirements by
FAA.
I see that most people are happy to do nothing more than that.
Outside
of
the cost factors, I find this much more than curious considering the
consequences. You can get killed, that one keeps jumping out at me

I am asking the group for assistance in developing a list of
instructional
and solo experiences, testing, mandatory reading.....if you ran the
FAA,
what would you require in a near-perfect world that a PPL would
require? I
am a zero-hour wannabe pilot FYI

For a start, I won't begin my first instruction until I can do the
following:

Pass all tests with a 95% minimum
Handle with ease all traffic control and similar commo
Dissect the anatomy of my training aircraft
Understand what and how the instrumentation works (shortcomings
included)
Own all the fundamentally necessary flight gear (i.e carry-ons in
flight
bag or on person)
Obtain hours in flight simulation
More...enough for now.

TIA. The group is an extremely valuable resource; I sincerely doubt I
would
be so focused and confident without your past, present and future
work
here.

Old March 18th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Mar 17, 7:32*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article ,

*WJRFlyBoy wrote:
[...]

Remove _'s *from email address to talk to me.- Hide quoted text -

Telling the truth....don't think he has a clue about what the truth
is. Showed up on the student pilot group back in November wanting
information of taking lessons. Then he claims several hundred hours
in the "left" seat. Turns out that he still hasn't started taking
lessons much less having time as PIC in any seat. See one of his
posts from Feb 28 below.

1. WJRFlyBoy View profile
More options Feb 28, 4:11 am

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting

Old March 18th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
WJRFlyBoy wrote:

[...]

In this county, we've one airport closed down (and is now a shopping
center that's doing barely OK), restricted operations at another, and
we're watching the county supervisors trying yet again to shut down the
largest GA airport that takes some of the pressure off the bigger nearby
international airport.

The same county supervisors who OK'd development adjacent to the GA
field, and are now using that development (large shopping mall) as a
reason that the airport is too dangerous to keep in operation.

It's a revenue enhancement issue at bottom.

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? WJRFlyBoy Piloting 257 March 28th 08 01:26 PM
Airparks... .Blueskies. Owning 9 May 8th 06 04:14 PM
Airparks and clubs around Phoenix AZ ? gilan Home Built 3 March 9th 06 01:07 PM
Airparks near Austin TX TIm Gilbert Owning 14 October 3rd 05 03:18 PM
A New, New Direction for a Beaten Dead Horse Shawn Soaring 0 February 25th 05 01:57 PM