Typical power settings during cruise and other phases of flight

Old September 25th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

Default Typical power settings during cruise and other phases of flight

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Steve Foley writes:

You have been told by many pilots here that playing with a simulator is
not
the same thing as, or even close to, flyine.

I've been told the opposite by pilots in real life. Clearly, there
are differences of opinion, and neither camp is "right." It depends
on what you mean by "close to" or "same thing."

If you don't want to talk about it, you don't have to reply to me.

Please quote anyone else who believes "If you can fly the simulator, you can
fly the aircraft"

Old September 25th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_1_]

Default OT: Killfile?

I've had enough seeing obnoxious and irrelevant comments from a know-it-all
armchair pilot. Is there a way to block posts from specific individuals?

Please help- it's killing the NG.

Old September 25th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
C. Massey

Default Killfile?

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
I've had enough seeing obnoxious and irrelevant comments from a
know-it-all armchair pilot. Is there a way to block posts from specific
individuals?

Please help- it's killing the NG.

ToolsMessage RulesNews...New

Then just fill out the info...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0639-1, 09/25/2006
Tested on: 9/25/2006 5:21:15 PM

Old September 25th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:10:06 GMT, "Viperdoc"
wrote in
:

Is there a way to block posts from specific individuals?

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/ie/oe6.htm
Message Rules, General Information (#msgrules)
Kill File / Blocked Senders / killfile

Click on the "Message" in the top menu bar and click on "Block
Sender" while highlighting the message. This is the simplest
message rule to implement. The from address is added to your
blocked senders list. You can modify, add, delete entries in you
blocked senders list to use any part of what you see in the from;
i.e. Richard Simmons, , spammer, @aol.com, aol.com
Old September 25th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
I've had enough seeing obnoxious and irrelevant comments from a
know-it-all armchair pilot. Is there a way to block posts from specific
individuals?

Please help- it's killing the NG.

Effective immediately, I will stop responding to the know-nothing game
player.

Old September 25th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I think MSFS is much harder to fly than the real thing. I also find myself
doing the same wrong things on MSFS that I do in real flight.

Agree 100%.

Every Tuesday night, we show free aviation movies in the theater of our
aviation theme-suite hotel. Before the main feature, we usually have
MSFS or X-Planes running on the 104-inch projection screen, with the
surround sound cranked.

Trust me, in a darkened room, it's pretty real. The sound is right,
the sight picture is right, the controls are right. The only things
wrong a

a) You can't turn your head intuitively, even with the acorn cap (or
whatever the heck that's called), and...

b) There is no sense of motion. (Although with a screen that big, you
see the "pilots" really leaning into the turns!)

Incidentally, we've had many real pilots (Mary included) who absolutely
cannot land the sim planes. It is quite a bit harder to do than
landing the real plane, although the casual lack of concern about
bending metal makes it a bit easier on the digestion.

I've been a flight simmer since the very first ones came out in the
1980s. I still buy every single update of MSFS, and enjoy practicing
on it. It's what really piqued my curiosity and interest about flying,
back before I ever thought I could ever do it "for real".

IMHO, making fun of a "pilot wannabee" because all he can afford is
MSFS is NOT the best way for us to grow GA. And, trust me -- we NEED
to grow GA. Now.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 26th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mark Hansen

On 09/25/06 15:47, Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

I don't think anyone has made fun of him because all he can afford is
MSFS. Perhaps you should read more of the threads to understand why
some folks are really irritated with this particular "simmer".

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 26th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Euan Kilgour

LWG wrote:

I think MSFS is much harder to fly than the real thing. I also find myself
doing the same wrong things on MSFS that I do in real flight.

Well I disagree. I found that MSFS gave me terrible habits that my
instructors had to beat out of me (j/k). Fixation on instruments was
the main one.

Can you tell me from flying MSFS what it is like to control an aircraft
that is at MAUW and is loaded aft of the C of G? While the aircrafts
behaviour might be able to be simulated well, you have no idea of the
strength required to hold it straight and level, or the thousand
thoughts going through your head as your instructor asks you to perform
a wingdrop stall in that configuration. You have a lot more to lose at
3500 feet AGL than sitting at a PC.

Old September 26th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

I addressed this is another post. I find myself making similar mistakes in
MSFS as I do in real flight. I think it is great practice to concentrate on
reducing this tendency while simming.

I'm not saying that simming is the same as real flight in all respects. But
I stand by my assessment that for the most part, it's harder to fly in MSFS
than in my very simple and easy to fly Sundowner (even when I use the
Sundowner flight model on MSFS).

"Euan Kilgour" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old September 26th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article . com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Incidentally, we've had many real pilots (Mary included) who absolutely
cannot land the sim planes. It is quite a bit harder to do than
landing the real plane, although the casual lack of concern about
bending metal makes it a bit easier on the digestion.

I've never been able to land any of the PC flight sims, and I
started way back when on an Apple ][e. I don't play the PC flights
sims very often though, since the real thing is more fun.

The only sims I've been able to land were the shuttle sims at SpaceCamp.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/