Seminole-Lake Accident

Old April 8th 20, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]

Default Seminole-Lake Accident

Seminole-Lake Gliderport sadly announces we had a fatal glider accident today. The accident will be investigated by the FAA and NTSB, an inspector was on the scene today. We do not want to identify the pilot but he was flying a Standard Cirrus that he owned. He was NOT in the Senior Soaring Championship. The accident occurred after a premature release by the pilot from tow at about 500 feet over the end of the runway. We recovered an Oudie and Nano (this unit was still operational) at the site and we expect it will greatly aid in the investigation. We ask you not call the office or come to the gliderport to view the scene. Seminole-Lake has been in the business of promoting soaring for over 50 years and this is our first fatal accident.. Our prayers go out to the pilot's family.

Sincerely,
Rich Owen
Old April 8th 20, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Condolences to all.

Paul A.
Old April 8th 20, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Heinz Gehlhaar

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 6:35:22 PM UTC-7, Rich Owen wrote:
Seminole-Lake Gliderport sadly announces we had a fatal glider accident today. The accident will be investigated by the FAA and NTSB, an inspector was on the scene today. We do not want to identify the pilot but he was flying a Standard Cirrus that he owned. He was NOT in the Senior Soaring Championship. The accident occurred after a premature release by the pilot from tow at about 500 feet over the end of the runway. We recovered an Oudie and Nano (this unit was still operational) at the site and we expect it will greatly aid in the investigation. We ask you not call the office or come to the gliderport to view the scene. Seminole-Lake has been in the business of promoting soaring for over 50 years and this is our first fatal accident. Our prayers go out to the pilot's family.

Sincerely,
Rich Owen

My heart goes out to the Family and to the Glider Port Folks.
Just make sure that the Flight Computers (Oudi & Nano) really get read out by the powers to be. The local Sheriff and apparently the FAA do not know about igc-files.
I was involved in a glider retrieval wihich turned into an attempted accident retrieval around Ephrata, WA. When I got to the site, the Sheriff already there, and totally prevented access; even visual, as the glider was behind a slight rise in the country. I offered the Sheriff help in readout of the flight computer, but even that was refused. I left my name just in case, but was never contacted again. And the subsequent accident report years later looked like they had never seen the flight trace. Interestingly, since I had access to one of the flight-recorders on board, I saw that the wreck was moved a couple of days later.
Old April 8th 20, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Damn.

Let me add that NTSB/FAA are so clueless that I have seen multiple accident reports wherein a PTT was incorrectly described as "...the towplane released the glider...".
Old April 8th 20, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sad to hear. One would think a Std Cirrus with 500 feet of altitude over the end of the runway would be easily landable. Lots of potential reasons, rope break, glider pilot released, tow pilot released, release malfunction, glider pilot incapacitation. NTSB and FAA investigations in situations like this are difficult to get exactly right.

Walt Connelly

Old April 8th 20, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 5:31:46 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Damn.

Let me add that NTSB/FAA are so clueless that I have seen multiple accident reports wherein a PTT was incorrectly described as "...the towplane released the glider...".

Condolences to all.

Last summer after the Nephi Fatal accident three pilots at the contest spent the next afternoon with the NTSB investigators. They retrieved the PowerFlarm with the help of one of the pilots. They asked me to download the flight. We went thru the entire flight with the investigators with SeeYou PC.. They were interested in help and asked many questions about the flight and gliders. They also purchased SeeYou PC from me so they could look at the flight further. These inspectors were not clueless! They were very informed and professional. They were also interested in our opinions about what happened. R Owens call if you want the investigator's name and details.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 8th 20, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

The Oudie IGC file can be really useful. In the case of my incident, the Oudie was recording at one second intervals. There may be additional data if the Oudie was connected to a vario.

The Oudie people can be really helpful with analysis of accident IGC files. There's an internal buffer that can be read to extract the last moments of the flight if the IGC file was not completed.
Old April 8th 20, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 9:35:22 PM UTC-4, Rich Owen wrote:
Seminole-Lake Gliderport sadly announces we had a fatal glider accident today. The accident will be investigated by the FAA and NTSB, an inspector was on the scene today. We do not want to identify the pilot but he was flying a Standard Cirrus that he owned. He was NOT in the Senior Soaring Championship. The accident occurred after a premature release by the pilot from tow at about 500 feet over the end of the runway. We recovered an Oudie and Nano (this unit was still operational) at the site and we expect it will greatly aid in the investigation. We ask you not call the office or come to the gliderport to view the scene. Seminole-Lake has been in the business of promoting soaring for over 50 years and this is our first fatal accident. Our prayers go out to the pilot's family.

Sincerely,
Rich Owen

Sad to hear, I hope that this Std Cirrus was not assembled just before takeoff. Bob
Old April 8th 20, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 11:28:24 PM UTC-7, Heinz Gehlhaar wrote:
[...]

Heinz is mistaken. I personally assisted the NTSB in locating the FLARM and the GPS-NAV onboard that accident. The NTSB included the IGC file and the analysis of the flight in their final report and that information is located he

https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/h...6319AEB9E07248
Old April 8th 20, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'll push back on the blanket condemnation of the FAA/NTSB. I should wait for someone with more specific knowledge to comment but my understanding is that they were quite conscientious and helpful in a recent accident investigation in our area.

My experience with the Feds has been mixed. Some are sharp, knowledgeable, open minded, and want to help. Others are self-important, insecure, blustering bureaucrats who jump to conclusions. It's a wide spectrum, sort of like with glider pilots, as we've seen on this forum from time to time.

Nothing is ever all good or bad. I suspect, as in most areas of our lives, how we behave and interact with the Feds has something to do with how they treat us. And that, in turn, probably has some impact on how they treat the next glider pilot they encounter.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24