A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flarmview versus Flarmview 57

Old August 2nd 19, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster

Default Flarmview versus Flarmview 57

On 8/2/19 7:58 AM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 1:43:27 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Both the LXNAV TrafficView & the Air-Avionics ATD-57 are similar and a big improvement in visibility and the way the targets are displayed. The TrafficView also has a navigation function.
http://www.craggyaero.com/air_traffic_display.htm
http://www.craggyaero.com/trafficview.htm
Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Will either of them display targets from an adsb-in receiver, such as the Scout?

Scout is a ADS-B in receiver so I don't believe it transmits. SO no they will not display targets from Scout..

They will show the same targets that Scout receives.

Richard

Scout puts out its data on WiFi only, plus it's rigged to work with
Foreflight only, so it doesn't seem to be an option.

An ADS-B receiver in PF should work fine.

-Dave

Old August 4th 19, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

torstai 1. elokuuta 2019 3.07.38 UTC+3 kirjoitti:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:47:58 AM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
Michael

There are variety of Flarm Displays the new LXNAV TrafficView is an big improvement over the Flarmview. The LXANV TrafficView also includes navigation.

http://www.craggyaero.com/lxnav_accessories.htm

Air-Avionics also has a very nice display.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

These two options appear to be newer and improved options for a PowerFlarm display : LxNav TrafficView and ATD-57. Does anyone have an opinion on which would perform better? Thanks for all the responses thus far.

I have ATD-57. It has hardware and display that is head and shoulders above anything by LX, huge contrast and brightness with anti-glare coated display. It works perfectly and customer support is excellent as always.
Old July 23rd 20, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have ATD-57. It has hardware and display that is head and shoulders above anything by LX, huge contrast and brightness with anti-glare coated display. It works perfectly and customer support is excellent as always.

One complaint with the LXNAV TrafficView57 in the above thread is that some of the text is too small to read (that's easy to believe as I have that exact issue with the LXNAV S8 Flarm page. Does the ATD-57 have the same issue?

Does anyone want to chime in about the top choices for a Flarm dispaly in a 57mm panel space? I'm replacing a Butterfly display that's failing.

Thanks,

Eric
Old July 23rd 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 12:47:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:

One complaint with the LXNAV TrafficView57 in the above thread is that some of the text is too small to read (that's easy to believe as I have that exact issue with the LXNAV S8 Flarm page. Does the ATD-57 have the same issue?

Does anyone want to chime in about the top choices for a Flarm dispaly in a 57mm panel space? I'm replacing a Butterfly display that's failing.

Thanks,

Eric

No,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 23rd 20, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 12:47:34 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Thanks,

Eric

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 23rd 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 7:58:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I'm interested in purchasing a Flarmcore soon and I'm curious which of the displays would work best. I have a spare 57mm hole in the panel now, so the Flarmview 57 seems to be the simplest installation. I'm curious if having the extra buttons on the original Flarmview make this device easier to use in flight.

Thoughts?

Michael "8U"

My glider has the Flarmview 57 and most of the club gliders have the rectangular Flarmview. When I installed Flarm (before the club ships got it) I chose the 57 simply because I had a 57mm hole free (and a nice carbon fiber panel that I didn't want to hack up) I thought I would be giving up some ease of use because the 57 just has a single twist-push control. To my surprise, when I used the four button display I found it to be less intuitive and more fussy to work with.

So I find the Flarmview 57 easier to work with. The display size is the same. My half century old eyes have had no problem reading it so far. Your experience may differ of course.
Old July 23rd 20, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 3:47:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Thanks,

Eric

After researching the options, I eventually installed an ATD-57. I've been quite happy with the display and it's quite clear and bright. I like the 4 push buttons at the top of the display for easy use. It also has an enhanced feature to display thermaling gliders with a circular arrow on the screen - nice when you're on course and looking for the next good thermal.
Old July 23rd 20, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 5:36:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 3:47:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Thanks,

Eric

After researching the options, I eventually installed an ATD-57. I've been quite happy with the display and it's quite clear and bright. I like the 4 push buttons at the top of the display for easy use. It also has an enhanced feature to display thermaling gliders with a circular arrow on the screen - nice when you're on course and looking for the next good thermal.

IMHO Traffic View in a 57 hole might be acceptable if it were placed directly below the glare shield. I can't put mine there and with the small font, and no shade, I feel the 57mm Traffic View is a poor choice for display of traffic. If they were to come out with a modification that let the user adjust the font, maybe, maybe it would be okay.