How do I ship a glider from CA to TN?

Old February 14th 12, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Alexander[_2_]

Default How do I ship a glider from CA to TN?

Suppose I wanted to ship a glider from California to Tennessee. How
would I do that? Anyone done this before?

I have searched the forum regarding this, but only finding shipping
info to/from internationally.

Thanks!
Old February 14th 12, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

On Feb 14, 1:33*pm, Scott Alexander
wrote:
Suppose I wanted to ship a glider from California to Tennessee. *How
would I do that? *Anyone done this before?

I have searched the forum regarding this, but only finding shipping
info to/from internationally.

Thanks!

If it has a decent trailer, ask if someone will transport it for you.
Some folks do it for income.
Old February 14th 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hagbard Celine

A friend of mine had a glider shipped from the East coast to
Washington state by rail and the managed to do some significant damage
to it. They must hav dropped the trailer while loading or unloading it
from the rail car. When I was buying a new trailer for my glider I
looked into seeing if any of the companies that transport cars and
RV's across country could do it but none of them seemed the least bit
interested in taking my business. Eventually the person selling me the
trailer found a fellow glider pilot who was driving across country and
I paid them to haul it for me (at the time there was no way I could
have taken the time off to go get it myself).

Old February 14th 12, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Juanman

If you post in on uship.com you will get a number of replies. Mostly
from people who will tow it. Include a photo of a similar trailer for
reference.

Old February 14th 12, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

8 years ago or so I shipped a DG-303 in trailer from Flordia to CA. Used Peterson Transport from Kansas, not sure they are still around. You need to look for trucking companies that handle transporting mixed loads/equipment on a low-loader. Not the folks who focus on carring cars on car transporters.. And some of this requires you to just get lucky to find a carrier willing or already planning to go your route and able to double up load etc. to avoid it being too many $k. I got lucky and just saw this company mentioned on a glider forum. I think he had an antique car (well covered) and parts/assembly for earthmoving equipment on his trailer on this trip. Either way look for carriers with major business near either/both ends of your route.

Finding a glider pilot/crew member who is experienced towing gliders and paying them may be easier--but your trailer better be perfectly road worth. And double check insurance etc.

Darryl
Old February 14th 12, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RS

On Feb 14, 3:33*pm, Scott Alexander
wrote:
Suppose I wanted to ship a glider from California to Tennessee. *How
would I do that? *Anyone done this before?

I have searched the forum regarding this, but only finding shipping
info to/from internationally.

Thanks!

Check barnstormers.com
There is a company that ships trailers/aircraft via flatbed. It
wasn't cheap though, from east coast to nevada was around $3400 I
think. There's also soar minden, or soar Nevada, that offers trailer
towing.
Old February 15th 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WR

On Feb 14, 2:33*pm, Scott Alexander
wrote:
Suppose I wanted to ship a glider from California to Tennessee. *How
would I do that? *Anyone done this before?

I have searched the forum regarding this, but only finding shipping
info to/from internationally.

Thanks!

I'll second the Uship.com recommendation. Towed by an experienced guy
that tows stuff for a living from Williams CA to DFW area for about
$1300. No damage and on time, well worth the money.
WR
Old February 15th 12, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
km

wrote:
Suppose I wanted to ship a glider from California to Tennessee. *How
would I do that? *Anyone done this before?

Interesting story; I just flew to the East coast to do some glider
shopping and on the plane I sat next to a guy who worked for a major
railroad and the guy was a pilot. I told him what I was going on my
trip for and explained I would need some way to get a ship home. He
said that you cannot ship by rail because much of the track is not the
smooth welded seam track (There is a special name for this modern
track which I do not recall) and that the suspension on a freight car
is too stiff so even if you get a nice ride on a passenger train a
glider would get pretty beaten up.
There is a slight chance I will be headed to the East Coast in April
and I could possibly help you out if you get your ship to UT.

Old February 15th 12, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_9_]

Uship.com. Pennsylvania to Houston Texas for $800.

On Feb 14, 8:49*pm, km wrote:
On Feb 14, 1:33*pm, Scott Alexander
wrote: Suppose I wanted to ship a glider from California to Tennessee. *How

Old February 15th 12, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 2/14/2012 12:57 PM, Hagbard Celine wrote:
A friend of mine had a glider shipped from the East coast to
Washington state by rail and the managed to do some significant damage
to it. They must hav dropped the trailer while loading or unloading it
from the rail car.

I spoke to a couple of people at the SSA convention who strongly advised
against rail transport in the US for gliders in trailers. Apparently,
the cars crashing together when switched from one train and re-coupled
onto another train is too forceful for most trailers, and the gliders
are damaged.

email me)