Soaring Birds

Old February 17th 12, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Soaring Birds

Long ago, I read in Soaring Magazine (I think) that crows don't soar. This
morning, I watched three crows thermalling right outside my living room
window. I went and stood in the window for a couple of minutes and watched
the three of them hanging tight and climbing. After a while, they headed
out on course!

Last summer a friend and I were standing on Sandia Crest watching the crows
ridge soaring. One in particular was having a great time. We watched him
pull up sharply and execute 3 snap rolls in succession and then reverse
course on the ridge. And, to prove it wasn't a fluke, that feathered
aviator reversed again, gained speed in the ridge lift, pulled up, and did 3
more snap rolls!

I have no doubt - crows enjoy flying!

Now, if spring soaring season would only arrive...

Old February 17th 12, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BravoCharlie

On Feb 16, 6:16*pm, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
Long ago, I read in Soaring Magazine (I think) that crows don't soar. *This
morning, I watched three crows thermalling right outside my living room
window. *I went and stood in the window for a couple of minutes and watched
the three of them hanging tight and climbing. *After a while, they headed
out on course!

Last summer a friend and I were standing on Sandia Crest watching the crows
ridge soaring. *One in particular was having a great time. *We watched him
pull up sharply and execute 3 snap rolls in succession and then reverse
course on the ridge. *And, to prove it wasn't a fluke, that feathered
aviator reversed again, gained speed in the ridge lift, pulled up, and did 3
more snap rolls!

I have no doubt - crows enjoy flying!

Now, if spring soaring season would only arrive...

I suspect they were Ravens.
Old February 17th 12, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 2/16/2012 7:30 PM, BravoCharlie wrote:
On Feb 16, 6:16 pm, "Dan wrote:
Long ago, I read in Soaring Magazine (I think) that crows don't soar. This
morning, I watched three crows thermalling right outside my living room
window. I went and stood in the window for a couple of minutes and watched
the three of them hanging tight and climbing. After a while, they headed
out on course!

Last summer a friend and I were standing on Sandia Crest watching the crows
ridge soaring. One in particular was having a great time. We watched him
pull up sharply and execute 3 snap rolls in succession and then reverse
course on the ridge. And, to prove it wasn't a fluke, that feathered
aviator reversed again, gained speed in the ridge lift, pulled up, and did 3
more snap rolls!

I have no doubt - crows enjoy flying!

Now, if spring soaring season would only arrive...

I suspect they were Ravens.

"What Bob C. said."

That said, I've seen swallows (barn and violet green) soaring, and it wouldn't
surprise me if plenty more species of birds not generally thought of as
soaring birds, soar. The only great blue heron I ever saw soaring was from a
sailplane; we were both about 6,000' agl.

Regards,
Bob W.
Old February 17th 12, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

Good link that explains some of the difference's between Crows and
Ravens. The article does seem to suggest that crows will soar, but not
for very extended periods of time. I suspect this is due to the
smaller overall size of the bird and it's subsequent lower aspect
ratio wings.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/crowfaq.htm#raven

-Kevin
Old February 17th 12, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hagbard Celine

It's rare, but I have seen crows soaring. Definitely crows, not
ravens. I've only seen it twice in eleven years of soaring though.
Old February 17th 12, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 16, 9:58*pm, BobW wrote:
The only great blue heron I ever saw soaring was from a
sailplane; we were both about 6,000' agl.

I've seen great blue herons thermal and go imc into the bottoms of cu.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 17th 12, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Feb 17, 5:36*am, T8 wrote:
On Feb 16, 9:58*pm, BobW wrote:

The only great blue heron I ever saw soaring was from a
sailplane; we were both about 6,000' agl.

I've seen great blue herons thermal and go imc into the bottoms of cu.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Butterflys thermal and go imc into the bottoms of cu.

Could'nt resist!

Richard
craggyaero.com
Old February 17th 12, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

You're probably right. Unless I get a close look, or see a crow and a raven
sitting side by side, I have trouble telling them apart.

Old February 17th 12, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

they have it ;-)

F-100 T-Birds Don Pyeatt Aviation Photos 0 March 25th 10 02:21 PM
Two Birds Avsec Aviation Photos 2 January 29th 08 02:19 PM
Birds, Birds, Birds! Kyle Boatright Piloting 4 October 30th 07 05:04 PM
The BIRDS Kyle Boatright Piloting 29 March 5th 06 12:50 PM
T-Birds Big John Piloting 11 September 11th 05 02:50 AM